The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Aionios CAN'T be translated "eternal" for punishment!!!!!!!!

ancient Egypt as known in the time of that prophecy is dead. Assyria is dead too.
God can only really fulfill this prophecy by restoring them to life :slight_smile:
more support for post-mortem repentance?

I think it also needs to be pointed out that judgment and punishment are not necessarily the same thing. There is no question in my mind that there is post mortem judgment (in fact, this is what most creeds actually agree to also). But that does not necessarily mean that there is post-mortem punishment, per se. The evidence for actual post-mortem punishment (in the traditional sense) is much more shaky, and we seem to have more evidence for post mortem correction. In fact, post-mortem anything was not even in view before Christ, because there was no reason to hope for anything after death. Death, and remaining dead was the “post” mortem punishment.
IIRC, the Greek word for condemnation means literally to “down-judge”. Just because you “down-judge” someone and put them in their place does not mean you are actually punishing them, though it may seem that way to them, because they thought more highly of themselves than they should have.

I think this concept is what is referred to in the passage where it is said that if we would judge ourselves rightly, we would not be judged (1Cor 11:31 NASB)

And I’m in the camp now that doesn’t think that aionios ever means eternal, though it can refer to something that is, for other reasons given elsewhere in scripture.

Having said all that, I think further good reasons have been given here for not translating aionios as eternal in this context.

So very true. :wink: :slight_smile:

So, in a sense the passage that states “judge not lest ye also be judged” is saying that it’s not our place to put another person in their place . . .that’s the work of the Holy Spirit “in” them, for when we do, we set ourselves up to be "re"placed as well.

Do you think that God tells us why He does everything? By the way, easier to understand for who? The annihilationist, the eternal punishment folk, or the universalists?