The Evangelical Universalist Forum

all things under his feet

IIRC most futurists do not think all things have been put under Christ’s feet yet; preterists think all things were put under Christ’s feet in AD 70. But Paul’s statement in Ephesians suggests both are wrong.

Ephesians 1:22 (ESV)
20 that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, 21 far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. 22 And he put all things under his feet and gave him as head over all things to the church, 23 which is his body, the fullness of him who fills all in all.

You have expressed and interesting thought, Qaz, but I believe it to be incorrect. I am a futurist and believe that not all things are under Christ’s feet yet. This must be true, or there would not be murderers, torturers, rapists, etc. in the world. Clearly these people are not under Christ’s feet.

Also my position, though apparently contradicted by the passage from Ephesians that you quoted, is not actually contradicted by that passage. For when God decides to do a thing, it’s as good as done, and so one might as well say it is done already.

The writer to the Hebrews also takes the same position:

It has been testified somewhere, “What is man, that you are mindful of him, or the son of man, that you care for him? You made him for a little while lower than the angels; you have crowned him with glory and honor, putting everything in subjection under his feet.” Now in putting everything in subjection to him, he left nothing outside his control. At present, we do not yet see everything in subjection to him. (Heb 2:6-8)

At present, we do not yet see everything in subjection to him. (Heb 2:6-8)
Paidion

Good observation Paidion! Also Paul said God speaks of things that are not yet as though they are so in one sense Christ has authority over all things and in that way they are under his feet but Christ has not yet exercised all of his authority yet.