The Evangelical Universalist Forum

An essay on snowflakism by Bruce Thornton

Maybe you’ve been with relatives, sitting comfortably in a room by a fire, all talking about Grandpa and what you should do with him, where he might be happy in a ‘home’ or something? And after about a half an hour, Grandpa speaks up and says “Uh…you know I’m sitting right here, don’t you”? :laughing:

Going back over this thread - I’ve posted the OP which was just a link; and then I posted some laughy faces at someone else’s joke, and then agreed with something someone said, and as far as I can tell, I haven’t gone off-topic at all. That’s as to this particular thread. I have at times been guilty of getting drawn aside by a shiny object that I can’t resist, but not here.

Be that as it may, I have it on good assurance that DaveB is aware, not only of his prodigious mental abilities, quick-as-a-whip wit, Mariana-trench-deep understanding of all things, and is an honorary Navajo known as David Shining Horse - he is also aware of his many, more-than-Mariana-trench-deep foibles. Mea culpa, mea culpa…I forget the rest… :blush:

It’s time for a resolution!!! (Beatles: So You Want a Resolution, uh huh) I resolve to avoid the temptation of said shiny objects (that’s like, a metaphor for off-topic wanderings/wonderings) and stay on point. I will fail, repent, fail, repent ad nauseum, but in many ways - that’s kinda like life. :smiley:

Noel!!

So, Dave, are you really being sincere, here, when you say

:question:

If so, can you share how that came about :question:
And does anything I share regarding the Lakota, Ojibwa or Ute tribal ceremonies (the tribes I usually hung around with) here - at this forum - resonate with you :question:

Although some things I’ve shared, were really from the Southwestern / South American Indian tribes (i.e. Ayahuasca and Peyote ceremonies). Which I have observed. But can neither confirm non deny, if I have ever participated.

Randy, I’ve been immersed the past few weeks in R. Allen Chappell’s Navajo mystery series (amazon.com/Navajo-Nation-My … s=chappell) and have read many other Native American themed materials, but that is a close as I’ve gotten to the real thing.
The David Shining Horse moniker was stolen directly from book 5 of that series, which I managed to turn into a joke on my relatives who were here for the holidays. Uncle Dave is a bit quirky, you know…so when at dinner he mentioned his fascination with things Navajo, certain rituals and such, in particular the naming of children, he asked the assembled diners at table if they would feel comfortable calling him David Shining Horse. It went over quite well, and only one person took me seriously. :laughing:

So to answer your question: I was not serious about it, any more than I was serious about the Mariana-trench thingies. I was attempting the…how you say…ah, yes…lightheartedness.

I like and respect you and Jason as well, though be assured I find you both just as frustrating as you find me.

That’s the new flag I heard about, Andre?