The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Bible Contradictions Resolved in a Multiverse

Well for starters science always thinks it reaches practical certainty until it it discovers it hasn’t. Also for starters when the heavens and earth were created in 1. it may have included the sun since the sun is a star and stars are part of the heavens. What day 4 may refer to is the light from the sun was seen at that point, but the benefits of the sun rays could have been available before the light was seen.

Another example of a far fetched theory. Even if the sun moon and stars just appeared it doesn’t match the fossil record. Fruit trees and seed bearing plants come after the oxygenation of the atmosphere. It was single celled algae in the oceans that oxygenated the atmosphere. Then came the Cambrian explosion along with insects on the land then came land animals then came fruit trees and seed bearing plants and birds. Not a match at all. The error bars have shrunk so that we can now say that it’s beyond reasonable doubt

I believe we get spiritual truths from the story. I also believe it really happened - it happened in a parallel universe.

Well maybe the algae, if this theory is true was ignited by the sun’s rays even if the sun was hidden from sight. Or maybe God intervened and ignited the algae himself at the appropriate time. I think if one believes God created man then certainly God can implement any method he chooses to get the creation process moving along.
Does the fossil record as interpreted by man have any comment about God. Does the fossil record have any explanation for the Cambrian explosion? Perhaps it was a move of God?

I believe God did it but that the creation story of Genesis One happened in a parallel universe. The fossil evidence and astronomy of this universe isn’t in line with Genesis One.

And perhaps God gave Genesis to Moses, in spiritual and poetic terms. Suppose God said Ito Moses he wants to give him Genesis, in terms of the science of physics and biology. Moses might say, “Hey, what???”. :wink:

You only believe that because Genesis contradicts the fossil record. It’s obvious that the writer intends us to believe God created events in an order. Later in the Bible the writers speak of the seven days. Even in the NT. If we believe the Bible we must believe that the writer intended for us to believe God created the universe and life. We should expect to see His fingerprints when we study His artwork. The Bible says the heavens declare the glory of God. So, I think God reveals Himself in the natural realms of physics and biology. The Creator of the universe (physics and biology) inspired the words of the Bible also.

The seven days can be any length of time each as “yom” allows and i’m not so sure creation is out of order although i have to look into it. Lastly this fossil record is man’s interpretation of a fossil record plus the fossil record doesn’t explain the Cambrian explosion nor the origin of life.

Gotta love it when someone else tells you what you believe and think :clap:

Additionally this fossil record to my knowledge has few if any legitimate transitory fossils when there s/b millions around.

A fairly serious attempt to explain the Cambrian explosion appears in this research paper from a leading scientific journal.

Here is the abstract of that paper.

" Diverse bilaterian clades emerged apparently within a few million years during the early Cambrian, and various environmental, developmental, and ecological causes have been proposed to explain this abrupt appearance. A compilation of the patterns of fossil and molecular diversification, comparative developmental data, and information on ecological feeding strategies indicate that the major animal clades diverged many tens of millions of years before their first appearance in the fossil record, demonstrating a macroevolutionary lag between the establishment of their developmental toolkits during the Cryogenian [(850 to 635 million years ago (Ma)], and the later ecological success of metazoans during the Ediacaran (635 to 541 Ma) and Cambrian (541 to 488 Ma) periods. We argue that this diversification involved new forms of developmental regulation, as well as innovations in networks of ecological interaction within the context of permissive environmental circumstances."

L - don’t know if you have the time, but a paraphrase of that would be very helpful. :slight_smile:

Perhaps multiple dimensions and parallel universes…might either resolve or compound this problem, NT Wright talks about here (Short, 3 minutes).

I just requested this book, via my inter-library loan program. Maybe it will give some perspective, on the NT Wright issue.

Several approaches showed that the major groups appearing in the Cambrian had immediate predecessors appearing in the preceding tens of millions of years. In other words, the Cambrian explosion was not really an explosion of new major groups appearing with no groups leading up to them. The major groups of the Cambrian were already there in their earlier stages before the Cambrian.

2 Likes

I believe it because I see the Bible not as a history or science textbook but as a spiritual guide whose purpose is to help lead us to relationship with God by showing us the way of Christ. If it were a history book, it lacks the history of China for example. If it were a scientific treatise, it lacks nearly all scientific constants (and gets pi wrong).

Well, the Bible speaks of real people in history and real places in history. Paul, Abraham, Israel, Jerusalem, Rome. It also speaks of the origins of the universe and life. It even traces back to the first man through genealogies. Both science and History can test the claims of the Bible. They both speak on these issues. Your theory is so far fetched it doesn’t even strike as a plausibility. But I do agree that the Bible speaks on spiritual truths and issues. But the events recorded really happened. Just in a parallel universe. This is more reasonable than your theory and it agrees with modern science of the multiverse.

“Several approaches”, eh? In other words, nobody has a clue which one fits the data.

Actually, I prefer to believe the Biblical explanation and leave the “scientific” non-consensus arguing to the macro-evolutionists. Call me neanderthalic if you must, but all you believers in “science” should acknowledge that my “approach” carries equal weight to any other.

Btw, I also consider the “multiverse” ideas to be pure nonsensical thinking.

1 Like

No, that’s not what the authors said, in other words.

The several approaches were used in a complementary way to provide a new look at the evolution of the major groups that flourished in the Cambrian.

mcarans to Hollytree.

Personally, I don’t find any theory - to be “far fetched”. Especially my theory that Z-Hell (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9), is the most probable - end-times tribulation scenario. I do leave open the possibility of both a Biblical and/ or a scientific cause.

The multi-verse is a theoretical construct only, a matter of speculation, fun to think about, and I’ve read many a rip-roaring and awe-inducing scifi tale that tries to develop the concept into entertainment. I like thinking about it, but I don’t think it is wise to look to it as truth, especially as a truth to measure our reality against, or to use as a solution to our conceptual difficulties.

2 Likes

Let me share some interesting articles:

Multiverse Theory – The Perfect Solution to “Bible Contradictions”!

2 Likes