The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Called a heretic for the first time... here was my response.

Thanks Rick :slight_smile: I found out later that they might have actually been mostly militant Arminians, but a lot of what I said would still apply, I’m thinking. :wink:

Yeah, I know, I’m picking up a bit of your style I think… and a bit of that winsomeness of yours, I think :wink:

:laughing: Indeed :wink:

Good wishes to you as well, my friend :slight_smile:

Matt

posted 2 too many times dont know how I did but I did…deleted

Hi edward,
your post is the first I have read here on EU after reading that I decided to register (8 May 2012).

I thought that it was a well thought out post to which I can only agree with. If you’re a herotic then so am I!

A proper biblical response to your article, I feel is:

Beautiful are the feet of those who preach Good News…

Get ye up to high place! (to deliver this message).

Here’s the full verse from Isaiah 52 verse 7:

How beautiful on the mountains

are the feet of those who bring good news,

who proclaim peace,

who bring good tidings,

who proclaim salvation,

who say to Zion,

“Your God reigns!”

Thank you for your great introduction to EU

Yay Matt - you’ve got fans and I’m one two! - it’s about time I tool my hat off to you (it was gettnig a bit one sided) Look you’ve just preahed the Gospel of Pe ace and brought glad tidings to someone. That’s wonderful.

On a lighthearted note I remember that when Karl Barth was called a heretic by some sectarians - not on;y for his thelogy but beaucse of his love of the ‘satanic’ Motzart, he replied ‘these people are cannibals and butchers - we do not need to take them seriously’. Also I remember a story about name calling - 'Name calling is to use exciting terms to generate exciting emotions. Someone once replied to the taunt of ‘heretic’ - "If we are dealing in exciting terms and you enjoy these I’ll call you a devil worshipper if you like - that should give you enough excitement to last quite some time!

If you ever do come to the UK you know I’ll always meet you - I don’t have lots of time because being a carer means I’m often confined to barracks; but I’m sure I could show you some of the sites of London Town. And do bear in mind that if I ever get round to doing a UR and Chirstian Humanism thread (including Shakespeare) I’d love you to shadow/partner/ encourage/ keep me in line/ make conrtibutions in dialogue.

You are doing so great -

Dick

You’re welcome bro :slight_smile: Thank you for the encouragement and blessings to you :slight_smile:

Sobernost: Thanks Rick :slight_smile: And I’m a fan of yours :wink:

And it sounds like Karl Barth was a pretty forward fellow at times :laughing:

:laughing:

I’d love to come to England some day, but alas, I’m all the way over here in Oregon, about as far from England as one can get, that and I’m far from being wealthy enough to afford such a trip. :neutral_face: Janitors are not known for being wealthy. :neutral_face:

But I will try to chime in on your posts as much as I can. :slight_smile: I’ve been kind of busy lately and haven’t had time to follow along with your latest posts, but I’ll try to catch up soon, after Mother’s Day (must spend some quality time with my Mum), and then maybe try to leave some encouraging comments. :wink:

Thanks bro, and blessings to you as well :slight_smile:

Matt

Jesus said to Love our enemies and those that persecute us, yet many want to believe God will punish his enemies in a fable hell of eternal punishment.

Awesome post! And of course, I relate completely. Can’t reply to all you wrote fully here as I’m only about half way through but the thing that really struck me about what you said and also the thing that I think makes what Rob Bell wrote so vital is the trust issue. Yes, precisely. We must be able to trust God if we are to be transformed. We must – otherwise, we’ll opt out of the process (and it IS a process – taking sometimes, aions!lol) so without that trust in the one re-making us in ‘his’ image, we’re literally lost, and how can we trust someone who is essentially, if – as is suggested by ECT – covertly, cruel? Even ‘justifiably’ cruel? We can’t. Even if we think we do – even if we parrot what we believe is ‘his’ so-called doctrines and rules, we’re too scared to really trust. Trust and fear are mutually exclusive. So yes, exactly bro –

They lost a committed Christian, sigh. Welcome to heresy bro!! or is it blasphemy? Why did they kill Jesus again? :smiley:

Thanks Sasha :slight_smile: I know it’s kind of long, lol… I’m still curious as to how everyone responded… I guess I’ll find out how someday in the distant future. :wink: But my friend Justin, who was still on there after I left, said there was a huge firestorm after that post of mine, so who knows. :wink:

Aye, I’m in good company then :sunglasses: :laughing:

Blessings to you :slight_smile:

Matt

Thanks for your thoughtful and heartfelt response. Calling someone a heretic is sometimes an easy out. When people get angry and upset because their cherished and long held viewpoint is charitably questioned it usually doesn’t take too long before the ‘heretic’ word is rolled out. We are on a long journey towards greater love and understanding and at some basic level we are all heretics since not one of us has the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. And even if we did, we aren’t able to live it out lovingly. Try not to wear the heresy 'lable as a badge of honour or dishonour. Try to see it as a normal response when a cherished belief system is threatened. And thanks again for a carefully crafted response.

I am late to the party, but I will say this; incredible. I agree with 100% of it and have for the last 7 years.