The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Can a Non-Believer Live a Moral Life?

I’d suggest reading Ephesians 2 & see if you still hold to that opinion.

I could ask you the same thing. They could be acting at 90% purity - in God’s eyes - for all we know.

How can we see the light? Well, for Christians it’s the Holy Spirit - that lights up the darkness. For non-Christians, we can take a bit, from the Gospel of John. And Quaker theology. Where Christ is the light, that lights up every man - who comes into the world. Christians need to listen, to the Holy Spirit. And check the messages, against the gospel (whether RC, EO or Protestant). Non-Christians are guided, by Christ as the inner light. And so are Christians. They just need to listen attentively.

Notice the translation says “everyone”… And so do the other translations - at biblehub.com/john/1-9.htm.

See “Are Quakers Christian, not Christian—or both?”

I’m in general agreement. Non Christians are sometimes guided by their conscience, often by their feelings & lusts of the flesh & mind. They are basically in darkness & may never be enlightened by Christ in this lifetime. Generally speaking they do not have the Spirit of Christ. In the OT, though, God’s Spirit even used a donkey to prophesy, so anything is possible.