The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Christians And Alcohol

Beautiful, wise post.

Thanks, Eagle’s Way. That means a lot, especially from you. :slight_smile:

Here’s are some interesting articles I’ve found

Alcohol in the Bible.
The Alcohol Content of Wine in the Bible
Wine in the Ancient World

These might shed some light on some “open concerns” in this forum thread. I’ll quote the second article - as it is short:

Of course, if I visit the Amish - there will be no alcohol:

Thank you for your wise post, Cindy. I had planned to let the apostle Paul speak on the subject, but before I got to it, you posted that bit of wisdom.

I cannot help but think Paul’s instruction concerning meat-eaters versus vegetarians applies here as does Paul’s instruction concerning observing certain days versus thinking of all days as alike:

Also the following passage is applicable:

Notice that Paul puts eating meat in the same class as drinking wine. The implication seems to be that both are right if one eats or drinks in faith. Otherwise it is sin. It would be sin to eat or drink with a guilty conscience about the matter. If we discern that eating or drinking would cause a dear brother or sister to stumble in his or her faith, then one ought to abstain in the presence of such a one.

From Randy’s quote above:

I like it

Cindy, you got it right about fermentation (from a guy who makes sauerkraut 3 gal at a time)

Paidion… That was good. Real good :slight_smile:

Cute video, Randy.

Of course real Amish would not even permit a photo of themselves to be taken, let alone a video—and would certainly not behave foolishly.

What give you that idea?

amishamerica.com/do_the_amish_dr/

Actually, you find bars in Amish towns. And bars in hotels and motels - in Amish towns. It’s not clear to me if they drink themselves, And local bars, where the town folks hang out - can really be unfriendly to visitors. I like to hang around Arcola, Illinois, which is heavily Amish.

But the Amish allow their youth to experiment with alcohol, etc. (if they wish to) - usually at high school age. This gives their youth a chance to experiment and see if they like to remain with the Amish or go out into the “real” world. So it’s not surprising to see high school age Amish drinking and smoking - perhaps even a joint.

And one Amish in Arcola owns a gun shop. So they really don’t have any hard rules to owning businesses, where they might not practice what they are selling. Or using technology of neighbors - like a phone - as long as they don’t own it. If any do drink or smoke - it’s more of an exception - then the norm. They really don’t like to talk to outsiders - except in business dealings or if you are local folks.

My understanding is that the Old Order Amish both smoke and drink, if they wish.
But the New Order Amish shun both.

I taught in a Hutterite Community for 3 years. Hutterites are different from Amish, of course. But they make their own wine, and also drink beer at weddings, and takes sips of brandy mixed with some other strong drink, almost as a formality. I have attended several Hutterite weddings.

Hutterites differ from Mennonites and Amish, chiefly in their practice of community of goods (as was practised by the first Christians
(Acts, chapter 2).

I’ll have to read up more on the old and new order Amish. But I can say this. There’s a local Amish restaurant in Arcola. They don’t serve alcohol. But their food alone is worth a trip and the prices are really affordable.

I found this on Yahoo Answers: Do Amish people drink alcohol?. Here’s one answer, that confirms your understanding:

Now to the answers on their children:

By the way: The video is by “Weird” Al Yankovic - Amish Paradise. He specializes in parody videos and has been around since the seventies. These are my favorites. For some strange reason, I can relate the the second video. I still can’t decide between Kirk and Pircard. Life was so much simpler in the old days. Now I’m torn between:

Pircard vs “old” Kirk vs “new” Kirk
“Old” Spock vs “new” Spock
Old Star Wars characters vs new Star Wars characters

And I’m still trying to determine which expert - if any - has the right answer to What weighs more: an empty 32GB flash drive or a fully loaded 32GB flash drive? :smiley:

This is a continuation of my previous post. I knew my memory got this information - even though it is incorrect - from somewhere. It’s from Teetotalism:

As Paidion correctly points out and I found this on Yahoo Answers - to confirm this understanding: Do Amish people drink alcohol?.

Now to the answers on their children:

There’s also an interesting site called AMISH: OUT OF ORDER from National Geographic. This verifies the children comments, quoted earlier in Yahoo Answers:

We find this from Amish America entitled Do the Amish drink?

The lesson here. We can get “misinformation” at some point in time - like I did. Then the correct solution - given a new piece of information - is to research it and get confirmation, from several reliable sources. :smiley:

Now I can get back to my most pressing concern: which expert - if any - has the right answer to What weighs more: an empty 32GB flash drive or a fully loaded 32GB flash drive? :smiley:

This is a particularly interesting thread for me as I have recently become an Adherent to the local Salvation Army Corps and soldiers of the Salvation Army take a covenant before God that they will abstain from alcohol.

There’s an answer to that question from their own London based website: Why don’t Salvationists drink, smoke or gamble?:

Le’t me make one thing perfectly clear. I respect the Salvation Army. I like the fact that donations don’t go out to pay for “over-inflated” executive salaries (I heard a figure of 90% somewhere, will go to helping others). I respect the fact that they help the homeless, drunks, etc., get on their feet. Give them a purpose. That they have red kettle collections at Christmas. That they don’t judge people who drink in moderation. That they need to set an example for the people they help.

Just as I respect the Mennonites and Quakers for their views and efforts on peace.

I just draw the line when some Christian group feels they have the “correct” viewpoint or perspective for ALL Christians - or all people. Especially if their viewpoint is NOT held by the majority of Christians (but I look the other way for folks giving alternatives to ECT). :smiley:

Meanwhile, back to the Nerd Zen Koan - What weighs more: an empty 32GB flash drive or a fully loaded 32GB flash drive? :smiley:

Cindy, you say,

…but I must respectfully disagree. Putrefaction is a technical term for the decay of organic matter.

Technically, there are two types:

1. “Fermentation”–when the environment is anaerobic (without oxygen)
  2. “Respiration”–in an aerobic environment (in the presence of oxygen).

Cindy, you say,

Here is an entire free book you should find interesting and informative (and perhaps corrective):

Cindy says,

I agree. We must discern truth from error by the Spirit. So here, let me argue that ethanol (what we call “drinking alcohol”) is a toxin. (A toxin is ‘any poison produced by an organism.’) And if alcohol is a poison, I ask again, would “The Author of Life” (Acts 3:15) —produce, consume, and promote something that could be harmful to us?

(But wait. Let me anticipate various people’s comments. “Is alcohol really a toxin???” And, “If it was good enough for Jesus, Martin Luther, and C.S. Lewis, it’s good enough for me.” This, mercifully, should be my final comment on this post.)

Here is someone “in the know” who clearly states that alcohol is indeed a toxin: David Nutt is professor of neuropsychopharmacology at Imperial College London and chair of the Independent Scientific Committee on Drugs. He writes:

Blessings to all of you, whether we agree or not!

Just a brief commentary on the toxin aspect:

From Alcohol is a Drug. Is it also a Toxin or Poison?, Dr. Hanson says this:

In a Quora article Could alcohol be classified as a poison or toxin?, one scientist says this:

So what is happening here? We are both quoting men and women of science, who probably have M.D. or PhD degrees in Medicine , chemistry, biochemistry, etc. But the question is this. Does the overall scientific literature label alcohol as a toxin? If so:

What is the definition?
What is the level needed to be considered a toxin?
Under what circumstances does it become a toxin?

It would be interesting to use the online resources of the College of Dupage, to conduct a keyword research regarding the scientific literature on this aspect.

But as the Quora answer pointed out, many over the counter and prescription drugs can be toxic.

As far as wine questions go, there is a winery called Lynfred Winery in Roselle, Il. - about 20 minutes from me. They can answer any wine questions that come up, regarding the current making of wine.

Meanwhile, back to the Nerd Zen Koan - What weighs more: an empty 32GB flash drive or a fully loaded 32GB flash drive? :smiley:

You are quite right in saying that ethanol is a poison. But so is sodium chloride (common salt). I have used it to kill slugs. Over consumption in human beings can raise blood pressure to a dangerous level. But does that mean that we shouldn’t consume it in reasonable quantities in order to better enjoy some foods? Jesus said, “Salt is good.” (Mark 9:50, Luke 14:34)

The same with ethanol. If we consume alcoholic beverages in reasonable amounts, it is harmless. Let’s face the facts. The Author of Life did change water into wine, for consumption at the wedding at Cana, and it was a wine of a higher quality than that which they had been drinking. They would not have considered it to be a better wine if it had been mere grape juice.

I do not think that we can compair the consumation of alcohol with salt.
Salt is not toxic if used in the right amount. It is essetial for our body for we need it
and cannot produce it ourselves so we have to get it inside our body from outside with our nutrition.
If we do not, we die!
If we do not put alcohol into our body nothing bad happens…

Shalom and Agape
Dani

the best response I can think of is from the simpsons movie, where the dome is being placed over the town by the EPA. The drunks come out of the pub
(next door to the church) the christians come out of the church, the pub patrons run into the church to pray, the christians run into the pub for a drink

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Oh, no! :exclamation: Another lost soul! :exclamation: I better sidetrack for a moment and show this video: Simpsons’s CERN Illuminati Mathematical Predictive Programming EXPOSED. For the benefit of everyone, here is a link to the YouTube channel of The Vigilant Christian :smiley:

He ingested 170 grams of sodium. That is impossible to accidentally do. That is equivalent to around 2 pounds of table salt.

Do this. Measure out 5 grams of table salt and put it into a glass of 8oz of water. Drink it. Then ask yourself how you would manage to eat over 50 times that!

The average person takes in about 3grams of sodium per day which is equivalent to roughly 8 grams of table salt.

Salt is only harmful when taken in deliberate quantities. Apparently this was a form a suicide in China.

Salt can be compared to water, not alcohol.