The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Common English Bible doesn't translate Jonah 2:6 as forever!

Unfortunately they aren’t consistent in translating aionios this way everywhere, otherwise it would be a revolutionary translation, especially as the CEB is replacing the TNIV at Fuller Theological Seminary :mrgreen:

Anyway, every time a major translation acknowledges that aionios shouldn’t be translated forever/everlasting, is one step closer. As David Konstan said to me recently,

Well we will take what we can get, eh?
I really want a copy of Terms for Eternity. Where do you recomend I get the best deal? it’s really pricey (but worth it…?)

Totally! :mrgreen:

I’ve begun reading Terms for Eternity and admit it’s very hard going on some pages (I have no formal Greek or Classical training), however, as it’s such an important topic I’ll persevere & hopefully at least pick up the general gist :slight_smile:

Probably the best way to get it is Terms for Eternity paperback now available & on special too! (I also consider it a donation to both authors’ ongoing work).

Thanks for the link Alex. Yes, you are right, kind of a pivotal point in the overall discussion, in the particulars anyway. Obviously the overarching truth of God’s character is the paradigm for which to interpret the intended meaning of the “olam/aionios”. I think I will break down and get it. :unamused:

To be fair, “no end in sight” could pretty easily be regarded as “forever”, too. :slight_smile:

I like that rendering, though, as it captures the flavor of the horizon metaphor behind the Hebrew term.

I think “no end in sight” is excellent because it is correctly undefined, whereas “forever” is defined as infinite, which is problematic for something that ends up only being 3 days.

I agree.

And they thought the horizon was a finite distance away.

One of the words was “to the horizon” and the other was “beyond the horizon”; neither one necessarily had to be taken literally.

So the former could be like “as far as the eye can see”, an indistinctly large area that might be all the area (i.e. no end in sight), not necessarily only literally as far as the eye can see (500 yards north to that treeline, and three miles west to that ridgeline, and twenty miles south to the horizon).

But the latter, on the other hand, could in principle involve some (probably still unknown) stopping point “beyond the horizon”. Or not.

(If I recall and understand correctly, Jonah 2:6 is the latter one, “beyond the horizon”.)