The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Conflict In Science And Theology (by JD Walters)

Is the woman whom God created on day 6 (Genesis 1:27) the same woman whom God created in Genesis 2:22?

Lilith, nooooo! :mrgreen: :smiling_imp:

I have thought otherwise (as Jason and Paidion know), but I’ve come to the place where I really believe the creation story is a part of the sacred myth of the Jewish people. I think Moses would be amused and astonished that we try to take it literally and, while many of us do arrive at the same truths by more circuitous routes, we entirely miss the lessons of the creation story. I think he would be ROFL at our attempts to squeeze it into scientific pants that are completely the wrong size and shape for it.

Absolutely :exclamation:

“Scientific Pants”? You are a goddess!!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: The Holy Spirit said that to me–no really! :wink:

Quite. The only way around the fact that Adam named the animals on day 6 would be to suppose that the woman whom God created in Genesis 1:27 wasn’t Eve. So we have Lilith. Then the question, “What happened to Lilith?” And before you know it, contemporary Christians have re-created the Talmudic Lilith.

Obviously, though, the woman created in Genesis 1:27 was Eve (whose creation is described in more detail in chapter 2). Therefore Adam named the animals on day 6. Therefore the days of Genesis 1 lasted longer than 24 hours each.