The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Corithians 15:22-24, correct punctuation

~

(robin)
Ahhhh … Well good morning to you, too, davo … and a nice day it promises to be.

As to your, new way of engaging … I like this, I could be comfotable with this …
As to your specific question, I’m sorry, I dont clearly understand just what your are asking … really, I’m sorry, but it’s unclear to me …

Like I’ve said, I only have one driving desire, and that’s to hear God’s whisper …anything, all things, which hamper this, I work against …
I’m a literalist … I’m set in this …

“By way of clarification” … honestly, dear davo, I dont know what else I might add … really … all I want to do is to grasp what God has actually
whispered to us … He whispers, so that we have to, be quiet, and listen … and isn’t that a hard, first thing to do!

Note: I dont know what “IOW” means?

And, dear friend from afar … you never acknowledged the referenced story … my daughter’s story about these so-called hunter spiders …
are they as common a pest, there, as she alludes to?

As for “first fruits” … WTF … in the long run, our individual readings, our independent understandings of a particular word … does this, really, matter,
as long as we, of the Body of Christ, strive to work together, together … together … now aint that a novel idea!!

Quite simply… this was the first portion of fleeces shorn from the sheep being dedicated and offered up to God.

Ok… I didn’t mean to confound you, I shan’t trouble you further with this.

Indeed you are… this has become abundantly clear.

No, they’re just crazy fast zigzag moving spiders that look worse than they are.

FYI = for your information
IOW = in other words
FWIW = for what it’s worth
BTW = by the way
It seems you already have a handle on “WTF” :astonished: :laughing:

(davo)
…even though you disagree with the use of term “firstfruits”… by way of clarification,
what is your understanding as to the common biblical use of that term? IOW… in biblical parlance as you understand it,
how is this term (regardless of your disapproval) being used?

(robin)
Good question … glad you ask, the reason being, I’ve never seen such a word used in the Greek scriptures!
That is, it would have to be some combination of …“photos” if the “karpos” was singular and masculine …
Again, I’ve never seen such a word used in the scriptures … there might be one, but I cant find it.

And the odd thing is, another curious matter, the word “aparchE” (or even “apparition”), which you are, still(?)
reading as “a firstfruit” (and I, as “a from-beginning”) is singular-feminine, so my example word above, that
combination-word, that isn’t used/found in the scriptures, would have to be adjusted accordingly to read feminine …
but that word, too, isn’t used in the scriptures … wish that it were, as that would have resolved this question, many posts ago …

And yes, I’m very literal … to a fault, I’ve been told, but this, at least, keeps me somewhat honest in my grasp of scriptures;
that is, I have to deal with it’s words, for just exactly what they say, which tends to keeps me from adding my own thoughts,
my own doctrinal bent to the book; keeps me quick on my feet, having to explain and account for why my readings are sometimes
so very differnet from the more common translations … for instance, all the zigs and zags you’ve had me doing, just to explain.

So think of me, davo, as your very own hunter spider, here on this forum … I may not be all that likable, but I’m relitively harmless,
unless it comes down to someone pushing an agenda, which equates to being an enemy of the cross (stake in the better word, but that’s another topic)

~

(robin)
… please clarify the question?

(dave)
Ok… I didn’t mean to confound you, I shan’t trouble you further with this.

(robin)
No, really, I wasn’t trying to be difficult … so pondering upon your question, I’m thinking that by “biblical parlance,” you were asking me what, then, this term (either “from-beginning” or “first fruits”) might be attempting to communicate …

I believe I, now, understand the point of your question, and why you might be so insistent for your reading … that is, your intent, and idea is, indeed, most correct … all I was arguing for was an accuracy in terminology … so with your intentions acknowledged, might I suggest that you just look at another verse, another pair of words …" archE prOtotokos" … talked to in Colossians. That is, “He be, a beginning, firstborn [One]” …

"And Same be, the Head of the body, of the ecclesia;
Which, He be, a beginning, firstborn [One] out of the dead [ones],
so-that Same afore-being, He should become among all [things].

That in Same, He [God] had delighted, the every fulfillment to down-dwell;

and through Same, for’ Same,
to the all [things] to away-down-change,
having made-peace through the blood of the stake of Same; through Same,
if-besides to the [things] on the earth, if-besides to the [things] on the heavens." (~Robin)

If that’s where you were headed, davo … if that’s the intent behind your insistence for thinking “first fruit,”
(when that’s really not what the actual Greek word says), then I concede to your thought, your intentions … you are, indeed, correct
in this, the direction your mind, the spirit is leading you … I’m just the pedantry scribe, being excessively focued upon the details …

God’s peace,
robin

1:18 And Same be, the Head of the body, of the ecclesia; Which, He be, a beginning, firstborn [One] out of the dead [ones], so-that Same afore-being, He should become among all [things].

Καὶ αὐτός ἐστιν ἡ κεφαλὴ τοῦ σώματος, τῆς ἐκκλησίας· ὅς ἐστιν ἀρχή, πρωτότοκος ἐκ τῶν νεκρῶν, ἵνα γένηται ἐν πᾶσιν αὐτὸς πρωτεύων·

kai autos estin hE kephalE tou sOmatos tEs ekklEsias hos estin archE prOtotokos ek tOn nekrOn hina genEtai en pasin autos prOteuOn

and {2532 CONJ} same [One] {0846 P-NSM} He be {1510 V-PAI-3S} the [one] {3588 T-NSF} Head {2776 N-NSF} of the [thing] {3588 T-GSN} of a body {4983 N-GSN} of the [one] {3588 T-GSF} of an ecclesia {1577 N-GSF} which [One] {3739 R-NSM} He be {1510 V-PAI-3S} a beginning {0746 N-NSF} a firstborn [one] {4416 A-NSM-S} out {1537 PREP} of the [ones] {3588 T-GPM} of dead [ones] {3498 A-GPM} so-that {2443 CONJ} He should become {1096 V-2ADS-3S} among/ in {1722 PREP} unto all [things] {3956 A-DPN} same [One] {0846 P-NSM} afore-being {4409 V-PAP-NSM}

1:19 That in Same, He had delighted, the every fulfillment to down-dwell;

ὅτι ἐν αὐτῷ εὐδόκησεν πᾶν τὸ πλήρωμα κατοικῆσαι,

hoti en autO eudokEsen pan to plErOma katoikEsai

that {3754 CONJ} in {1722 PREP} unto same [One] {0846 P-DSM} He had delighted {2106 V-AAI-3S} every [thing] {3956 A-NSN} the [thing] {3588 T-NSN} a fulfillment {4138 N-NSN} to down-dwell {2730 V-AAN}

1:20* and through Same, for’ Same, to the all [things] to away-down-change, having made-peace through the blood of the stake of Same; through Same, if-besides to the [things] on the earth, if-besides to the [things] on the heavens.

καὶ διʼ αὐτοῦ ἀποκαταλλάξαι τὰ πάντα εἰς αὐτόν, εἰρηνοποιήσας διὰ τοῦ αἵματος τοῦ σταυροῦ αὐτοῦ, διʼ αὐτοῦ, εἴτε τὰ ἐπὶ τῆς γῆς, εἴτε τὰ ἐπὶ τοῖς οὐρανοῖς.

kai di autou apokatallaxai ta panta eis auton eirEnopoiEsas dia tou haimatos tou staurou autou di autou
eite ta epi tEs gEs eite ta epi tois ouranois

and {2532 CONJ} through {1223 PREP} of same [One] {0846 P-GSM} to away-down-change {0604 V-AAN} to the [things] {3588 T-APN} to all [things] {3956 A-APN} for’/ into {1519 PREP} to same [One] {0846 P-ASM} having made-peace {1517 V-AAP-NSM} through {1223 PREP} of the [thing] {3588 T-GSN} of a blood {0129 N-GSN} of the [one] {3588 T-GSM} of a stake {4716 N-GSM} of same [One] {0846 P-GSM} through {1223 {PREP} of same [One] {0846 P-GSM} if-besides {1535 CONJ} to the [things] {3588 T-APN} on {1909 PREP} of the [one] {3588 T-GSF} of an earth {1093 N-GSF} if-besides {1535 CONJ} to the [things] {3588 T-APN} on {1909 PREP} unto the [ones] {3588 T-DPM} unto heavens {3772 N-DPM}

All good… :mrgreen: