The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Could Phil 2:11 be referring to the White Throne Judgment

Romans 14:9-11 seems to suggest that the universal confession takes place at the Judgment prior to unbelievers being cast into the Lake of Fire.

Thoughts?

Scripture does seem to indicate that something like this will indeed happen on the Last Day. the thing is though, i’m not exactly sure what the Bible describes as happening. we get glimpses here and there, and descriptions, and it’s certainly possible that there is an opportunity for all to confess at some point, not only sin, but also the Lordship of Christ to salvation.

this passage seems to me, though, to be describing a general confession of sin, and an acknowledgment of the sovereignty and greatness of God. which may or may not ensure the salvation of those involved.

Hi Gabe,

I believe Phil 2:11 and Isa 45:23 describe the consummation of the Messianic reign (i.e., when all are subjected to Christ and God becomes “all in all”), and not its commencement (which is when I believe the “judgment seat of Christ”/“great white throne judgment” of Rev 20 took place). That is, I believe Christ’s reign began with a judgment and is to end when judgment is no longer necessary. So why would Paul quote a verse that describes a post-judgment scene? Well, rather than furnishing us with a description of what was going to take place at the “judgment seat” (which I believe Paul understood was going to commence before “some” of Jesus’ 1st century disciples tasted death! - Matt. 16:27-28), I believe Paul’s intention in quoting from Isaiah 45 was to emphasize the fact that it is God alone to whom believers are accountable, for God is the one to whom all people are ultimately going to be bowing down.

I found Robin Parry’s comments on these verses helpful (see The Evangelical Universalist, p. 99):

Thanks, Aaron.

I hope it’s ok I comment on old posts. I think it’s important to view judgment and salvation as two very different things. That’s probably my main beef with how conservative protestantism thinks. 2 Cor 5v10 speaks of either all people or the saints being judged for what they have done in the body. I think we look in vain for a scriptural connection between the larger hope and judgment for a good reason. Judgment is not about salvation, works doesnt save.