The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Did Jesus die in our place?

:smiley:

Thnx :smiley:

The both/and position as I see it (as opposed to Don’s either/or) understands that Jesus saved his people from their sins (Mt 1:21) by the offering of Himself as ‘the Lamb of God’ i.e., on their behalf — as per Jn 1:29; 11:50-51; 1Jn 2:2; 4:10 et al.

BUT “his people” constituted Israel, not us. However, in consequence of Israel’s redemption did the reconciliation then flowed to all men — thus did all benefit — as was the divinely appointed intent (Rom 11:12, 15).

I’m not sure if Don’s caricature of the penal substitution theory is totally correct, but others who hold to it might be better placed to say.

[size=140]Caricature?[/size]

Caricature—exaggeration by means of often ludicrous distortion of parts or characteristics

Did I do that?

Sorry Don… “characterisation” is the better word.

Actually, I thought that may have been the word you meant.

Come on everyone, let’s have a dialog about the 50 points the famous preacher Mr Piper has put forth per ST Michael. :smiley: Please… this will be fun :laughing:

If you want to talk about penal substitution, why are you all so freaking against the son of God doing what the father wanted done. He came and did what had to be done. God loved his creation and did what he knew had to be done. :laughing:

There is love hovering here, there is love working, there is love from the Father. :wink:

This question (if it is a question) seems to presume that God wanted people to suffer for their sin, and that He wanted His Son to die as a substitute for people, and so to suffer in their stead—that by taking out His wrath upon His Son, He was satisfied, so that He didn’t have take it out upon sinners.
I’m not sure that what I have described is what you mean, but notwithstanding, it is the false gospel that is being continuously proclaimed throughout the world.

What God actually wanted done through His Son’s death was to provide a means of enabling grace so that people could overcome wrongdoing and live righteously.

Through His death, Jesus made available enabling grace. This grace is appropriated through faith:

I don’t think… “that God wanted people to suffer for their sin” but that people were suffering on account and in consequence of their sin and in particular the SEPARATION wrought by the sin condition they were caught in (Isa 59:2). It was from this that Jesus worked deliverance ON BEHALF OF all.

Indeed… but this is one of the two wings that make the bird fly. Let me quote again from above…

What you have raised Don is completely legitimate BUT where its application is said to be made somewhat goes awry, IMO. Let me explain by quoting a key portion of the text you gave… “to purify for himself a people of his own” — ALL those texts you quoted demonstrating your point regarding “Through His death, Jesus made available enabling grace. This grace is appropriated through faith” are all pertinent SPECIFICALLY TO the people called into godly service ON BEHALF OF others — just like Jesus. We find this demonstrated in not dissimilar language used by John, right here…

Those called were redeemed and purified by Christ to God out of every tribe, tongue, people and nation for the purpose of being His new kingdom of priests… aka Paul’s and John’s “new creation”. It was a high calling with high standards and faith needed to grab, grasp and cling to such, being… “a people of his own who are zealous for good deeds.

So Davo, if I understand you correctly, your belief is that Christ, through His sacrificial death, delivers us from the ongoing practice of sin on the one hand, and the natural consequences of sin on the other. If that is your belief, I concur.

However, that “two winged” belief does not imply penal substitution.

We can spin the death of Christ any way we want, but at the end of the day, it was prophesied, and Christ himself knew what his fate was. I will be honest and say that I will probably never ever know the depth and meaning of Christ’s death. But we do know that the ultimate sacrifice is for one person to give his or her life for another.

Right. I don’t think any Christian disagrees with the fact that Christ gave His life for us.

The disagreement lies in what is means by “His life” and what is meant by that little preposition “for.” In all cases where it is written that he died “for” us, the Greek expression is “on our behalf” or “for our benefit.”

But in the one case in which the preposition is “anti” (in place of)—giving His life in the place of many—giving His life refers to His giving up of His life while He lived here on earth as a human being, by spending that to serve many people.

Nowhere is penal substitution taught in the New Testament.

Paidion, I agree. There are many who teach that Jesus died in our place so that we don’t have to be righteous. To me, this is false teaching. I see it more like in the case of the Civil War. There were many that died and gave their lives to free others from slavery. We enjoy that freedom now because of their sacrifices. However,evil and sin still exist and will continue to exist as long as mankind is on the earth. So, if we do not pony up and continue in the ways of righteousness, giving our lives to the service of God, "the house leaks and decays " as it says in Ecclesiastes 10:18.