did Jesus only SEEMINGLY forgive freely during his ministry?

The verses describing Jesus as freely forgiving people during his ministry offer prima facie evidence that people could be forgiven without punishment, but what if the real reason they could be forgiven was because Jesus knew he was the “lamb slain from the foundation of the world”? (Rev. 13:8) That is, whether or not Jesus had died yet was irrelevant; it was purposed by God and going to happen eventually. Apparently that argument is made in Charles Ryrie’s book, So Great A Salvation. :question:

The verses describing Jesus as freely forgiving people during his ministry offer prima facie evidence that people could be forgiven without punishment, but what if the real reason they could be forgiven was because Jesus knew he was the “lamb slain from the foundation of the world”? (Rev. 13:8) That is, whether or not Jesus had died yet was irrelevant; it was purposed by God and going to happen eventually. Apparently that argument is made in Charles Ryrie’s book, So Great A Salvation. :question:
qaz

Print view this post

Also in 1st Peter 1.20 yes but also Jesus said after his resurrection “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me” so i’m not sure if it was given after his sacrifice or after his resurrection or before the foundation of the world?

I don’t doubt that’s what Ryrie thinks. But what if the more Biblical tradition would be that Jesus can expect divine forgiveness because he shares David’s assumption (e.g. Psalms 32 & 51) that in the face of great wickedness (wherein sacrifice can’t be expected to ease it) one can appeal to sheer “mercy” as part of God’s intrinsic character, which can thus be forgivingly given whether or not someone first pays the price for it?

Answering Objections To Penal Substitution