The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Divine command theory and a common ET postulate

One thing I’ve heard from ETs (and possibly annis) is that since God is infinitely just, he has to punish sins with infinite punishment.

If one believes that, then one cannot also believe in divine command theory (DCT) of justice. Here’s why. DCT says God determines what constitutes justice and injustice. If God determines justice, then he is just as sovereign to determine that unjust acts deserve finite punishments from him as he is to determine that unjust acts deserve infinite punishment.

A just judge punishes people with the punishment they deserve for their works. An infinitely just God would always punish people with the punishment they deserve, but the punishment they deserve wouldn’t necessarily be infinite.

While this is not an argument against hopeless punishment, it is against the compatibility of two things hopeless punishment believers often simultaneously affirm: that God determines morality and that since God is infinitely just he must punish sinners with infinite punishment.

1 Like

Sounds like an odd argument simply to prop up their pre-existing supposition.

Well IF THAT wasn’t accomplished on some level in Jesus THEN WHAT was Jesus all about? Consider…

Rom 8:3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh.

Just my take mind you, is that the only part of your position above that is reasonable is the idea that God is infinitely just. The rest is either hear say, opinion, or a preposterous summation.

I don’t see the word “infinitely” as fitting with just, it seems they want to make a link to infinite punishment so they force it into a description of “just” which really should go to a word like “perfect.” Perfect justice is appropriate punishment balanced with mercy.