The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Does Jude's suicide show a lack of believe in eternal damnation?

I think we can assume that Jesus told His disciples about the ressurection/afterlive, if Jude had known about eternal damnation he would not have killed himself I suppose and maybe not betrayed Christ in the first place.

On the other hand, we might conclude that Jude didn’t believe in Jesus teachings at all, otherwise he would not betrayed Him. I am not sure if Jude betrayed Jesus because of greed or maybe to tempt Him to fight against the Romans? The whole argumentation would only make sense if we could infer that Jude believed in Jesus teachings despite his betrayal.

Any thoughts on this?

Do you mean Judas? If so, good point. Another option, Jesus asked Judas to play the role he did and the disciples were not aware and needed someone to blame.

BTW, IIRC, the early church has two contradictory accounts of how Judas died.

Yes I mean Judas Iskariot, I thought he is referred to as Jude in English like the letter of Jude whose actual name was Judas as well.

I heard that Judas was taken by demons.

Sven asked: “Does Jude’s suicide show a lack of believe in eternal damnation?”

I don’t know the answer to that, but I am certain Jesus never taught “eternal” damnation; rather, he warned of aionios, “age-during” [with a beginning and an end] damnation. (Please see my discussion on Matthew 25:46 at the end of, Is God Violent, Or Nonviolent?).

I would argue that Judas Iscariot was not born again at the time of his death, since the first disciples were not born again until later than that, when they received the Holy Spirit from the resurrected Christ:

And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit.” John 20:22.

And so Judas died remorseful but unrepentant, still a prisoner to his sins; hence, his soul went to hell-Hades-Gehenna:

• “The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.” Matthew 26:24.

• Then Jesus replied, “Have I not chosen you, the Twelve? Yet one of you is a devil!” (He meant Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, who, though one of the Twelve, was later to betray him.) John 6:70-71.

• Then they prayed, “Lord, you know everyone’s heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen to take over this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he belongs.” Then they cast lots, and the lot fell to Matthias; so he was added to the eleven apostles. Acts 1:25.

Suicide is a sin, but it is not why Judas went to hell. Judas went to hell because he never truly put his faith in Jesus. God didn’t make Judas Iscariot betray Jesus, but He foreknew he was going to do it:

• Even my own familiar friend in whom I trusted, who ate my bread, has lifted up his heel against me. Psalm 41:9.

• As soon as Judas took the bread, Satan entered into him. So Jesus told him, “What you are about to do, do quickly.” John 13:27.

• “While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.” John 17:12.

And yet it’s mind blowing to realize Judas was used by God to do miracles which pointed others to Jesus:

When Jesus had called the Twelve together, he gave them power and authority to drive out all demons and to cure diseases, and he sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal the sick. Luke 9:1-2.

This adds understanding to the dire warning of Jesus, especially for our generation:

Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’ Matthew 7:22-23.

Nevertheless, as a challenge to all genuine Christians today, I remind us of this promise:

Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. John 14:12.

1 Like

You all might like to research your comments about Jude and Judas.

"Jude is clearly distinguished from Judas Iscariot, another apostle and later the betrayer of Jesus. Both Jude and Judas are translations of the name Ὶούδας in the Koine Greek language original text of the New Testament, which in turn is a Greek variant of Judah (Y’hudah), a name which was common among Jews at the time. In most Bibles in languages other than English and French, Jude and Judas are referred to by the same name. "

Maybe someone smarter than me can elaborate?

Not sure what you mean, English is not my native language, you Englishmen gave some persons strange names, James instead of Jakobus, Peter instead of Petrus, also Jude instead instead of Judas when reffering to the other (good) Judas, hence my mistake.

1 Like

English is quite frustrating. Much respect for being bilingual. Your English is fine to me. Probably better than most 12th graders these days… But I am not one to talk. For it being my native tongue, I sure annoy a lot of people like Paidion, who often find imperfections in my grammar. Though often, it is mainly because I use my cell phone to post.