The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Does Universalism Mean God is a Mother, Not a Father?

I should however mention that I’m decisive, as a technical matter, in using masculine references concerning the ontological relation of God with the rest of reality. I’m not going to be worshiping God as Mother, Daughter, Spirit, since conceptually this leans more toward pantheism than supernaturalistic theism; so seeing as I believe the latter to be true and not the former (not even counting the weight of scriptural testimony by proportion in favor of masculine referentials–although that should count heavily, too, insofar as those are identified as revelatory), I’ll be staying with Father, Son, Spirit. :slight_smile:

Which does not even slightly commit me to the ridiculous notion that our Father, and the Son, and the Spirit, as masculine persons of a masculine entity (in ontological relation to us), must thereby represent an attitude and intention of non-salvation of God’s enemies. Even back when I was a non-universalist I would have thought such a comparison tactic preposterous.

(Admittedly, the “Shack” guy doesn’t seem to appreciate the ontological issues involved, but he also seems more of a modalist in that book’s theology anyway, possibly by accident.)

I typically relate to God in masculine terms, because of its preponderance in scripture, majority tradition, and personal experience. But I’m open to others relating to God in feminine terms if God reveals him/herself as such to them. And I am inspired by such few passages there are in scripture that do so. And when I consider the Holy Spirit, she seems much more feminine to me, gentle, compassionate, nurturing. And the concept of being “born of the Spirit” is also feminine, as in “born of woman”. Women give birth, not men.

Pantheism’s predominant use of feminine terminology and images is not a big concern for me. In fact, speaking of our God in feminine terms instead of masculine terms might help communicate the truths of God’s character to pantheists or those who have significant emotional issues with men and masculine images because of being abused by men more effectively than speaking of God in masculine terms. I see it as being similar to translating the word of God into a person’s mother tongue so as to enable them to embrace and be inspired by the Word.

CSL said we are all feminine to God’s masculine. The Church is the Bride, not the Bridegroom.

Biblical writers generally taught the seed, the new life, was in the man. The woman was the soil in which the seed was planted. The woman, not the man, was fertile or barren. Because spiritual life comes from God, enters us and grows in us, he is Masculine. (Our old self is pregnant with our new self. Our death is in fact our birth. Ask any butterfly.) On the other hand, because we exist in God and feed on him, he is also Feminine. :sunglasses:

Relationally/ comparatively, it’s pretty clear that God is a Father, but He clearly has feminine/ motherly aspects as well, because male/ female is in His image. I think Wm. Paul Young (author of The Shack) would agree and illustrated this in an interesting (and I’m sure uncomfortable, for many traditionalists) way.