The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Everything Belongs - Richard Rohr

Have you read this book?

Here are a couple of quotes from it that changed my views on God.

“Faith does not need to push the river precisely because it is able to trust that there is a river. …the river is flowing; we are in it. The river is God’s providential love – so do not be afraid.”

“Everything belongs; God uses everything. There are no dead ends. There is no wasted energy. Everything is recycled. Sin history and salvation history are two sides of one coin. When you “get” forgiveness, you get it. We use the phrase “falling in love.” I think forgiveness is almost the same thing. It’s a mystery we fall into: the mystery is God. God forgives all things for being imperfect, broken and poor. The people who know God well- the mystics, the hermits, those who risk everything to find God - always meet a lover, not a dictator. God is a lover who receives and forgives everything.”

How does this fit or not fit with Evangelical Universalism?

Some may disagree with those statements to some extent, I’m sure, but they make sense to me, and fit fine, at least with how I see things. :slight_smile:

Good stuff :slight_smile:

Hi Joel :slight_smile: -

I’ve never seen Richard Rohr speak but I was loaned a set of CDs of his by a Catholic friend of mine (on Paul’s Epistles). He’s a sort of laid back, liberal Catholic monk with a relaxed delivery who runs lots of workshops on social justice and Christian mysticism. I can’t see anything to disagree with in the quotations you’ve given - they seem fine and nurturing to me. One of Richard Rohr’s interests leaves me a bit cold though – he’s heavily in to ‘men’s spirituality – I don’t know whether this includes workshops where us boys get together and beat drums, hug each other and share our men’s tears, but I wouldn’t hold my breath (if it helps some I can’t see any harm in it – but it doesn’t really appeal to me :laughing: ). But I think Richard is a good egg. :slight_smile:

Och it’s a long time since I was an evangelical - I’m sort of here as a mascot :laughing: I’ve ended up a crossbreed between a Catholic Anglican and a Quaker :laughing: :laughing:

Regarding the mystics – well there is a precedence in the Evangelical tradition for taking the Christian mystics clearly; John Wesley was certainly open to their teachings – the Orthodox Fathers, the counter Reformation Catholic mystics and even the Protestant mystics in the shape of William Law (the universalist Anglican, who was the young Wesley’s spiritual counsellor for a while, until they fell out – although Wesley wrote about him with love when he was an older man).

We’ve actually had quite a lengthy discussion of aspects of Christian mysticism and the beauties and the pitfalls of this tradition here on a thread about the Quakers which you can find here –

It was started by the ever refreshing Sass – who speaks as she sees (adn we don’t hear enough f these days) . You may be interested in having a peep. I have to warn you that I do go on a bit on this thread – mainly because I needed to provide information so that people didn’t have to go out and buy loads of books (and because I am a windbag :laughing: ).

Lovely to meet you Joel

Dick

Oh, and I thought I’d mention that I found a copy (in the recycling at my work, I’m a janitor :wink:) of a little booklet called Preparing For Christmas with Richard Rohr: Daily Meditations for Advent, which I intend on going through next month. :slight_smile:
I’ve never read any of his stuff, but hear he’s very open to universalism and very grace based in his teaching (rather than fear-based), which is cool. :slight_smile: Looking forward to reading the little book I found. :slight_smile:

Here’s a link on Amazon by the way, just so you know what I’m talking about :wink:

amazon.com/Preparing-Christm … chard+rohr

PS They’re charging five bucks at least for it but I got mine for free. Win! :sunglasses: :laughing:

Blessings to you :slight_smile:

Matt