The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Ezekiel 20:15 God swore what?

In Ezekiel 20:15 it says God swore he would not bring Israel into the promised land. Why does this matter? Because as we all know he did bring them into the promised land. Isaiah 45 is frequently cited as proof of universalism, since it says God swore that every knee would bow and every tongue confess. But if the Lord swore Israel wouldn’t enter the promised land (and they did), why should we believe that when God swore that every tongue will confess that this definitely will happen?

Any takers? @JasonPratt

Qaz, as you know, I have argued that if one allows himself to become fully convinced that the omniscient, unchanging Father of love is not bipolar, vacillating, or violent, then in Scripture, any time it appears that He is, we will recognize that it is nevertheless not so, and not be freaked out about it.

We should focus on the superior revelation of God given through Jesus, and seek to be led by the Holy Spirit when studying the Scriptures (2 Cor. 3:6). I have suggested here that John 10:10 would be a good hermeneutic tool to distinguish the true God from occasional misrepresentations of Him allowed in the Scriptures.

Regarding the truth of evangelical universalism, we must be led by the peace of the Holy Spirit as we consider the evidence, to reach a place of certitude and rest.

For example, personally, I assign greater weight to this verse than to others:

1 Cor. 15:22 For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive.

And concerning that key “Eternal Conscious Torment” verse of Matthew 25:46, regarding the fate of the damned and of the saved, the NIV translation has Jesus saying,

"Then they will go away to eternal punishment but the righteous to eternal life.”

Whereas Young’s Literal Translation renders the same verse,

And these shall go away to punishment age-during, but the righteous to life age-during.

Which I unpack a little, here:

@JasonPratt I know you’re universalism relies heavily on Isaiah 45. What are your thoughts on God swearing Israel wouldn’t enter the promised land?

That generation did not enter the land. They all died in the 40 year period.
Does that answer your question?

@DaveB2.0 You’re mistaken. Two verses later it says “Nevertheless, my eye spared them, and I did not destroy them or make a full end of them in the wilderness.”

I don’t think I’m mistaken, but let me re-read the entire context.

Meanwhile we could consider this: https://www.gotquestions.org/wilderness-wandering.html

Qaz… Dave is not mistaken. All those who rebelled 20yrs or older perished in the wilderness; their children however who did suffer were however brought into the Land… thus He did not make a full end of Israel but had mercy on the children.

What he said…

The fact that in Ezekiel 20:17 the pronoun “them” is used clearly implies that the people being discussed were those of whom God swore he would make not enter the promised land. There’s no indication in Ezekiel 20 that God was talking about a specific age group. Ezekiel 20:17 indicates that the same people whom God swore would not enter the promised land later in fact entered the promised land.

That’s because the them was inclusive of their posterity… the posterity of which did survive into the Land, as promised. I’ve provided a reasonable solution to your problem but I’m ok if you want to hang onto it.