The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Facts to be Considered by All Full Preterists

According to Exodus 4:22, “Israel is my son, My firstborn.” From what I understand, the promise is this: Genesis 1 :26 "Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” Genesis 1:28 "Then God blessed them, and God said to them; “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it.” I’m not sure when this changed to the promise being- we shall all be resurrected in the afterlife and be made immortal.

Never, ever discuss doctrine with a loaded guitar in your hands. :laughing: Seriously, I never pass up a chance to play my guitar for Christ.

Eaglesway, I’ve always appreciated your views! I learn more from people who disagree with me that those that agree!

Thanks,

Chad

Yes,maintenance man. As a former blues bass player, I salute the guitar man: :sunglasses:

And now, I’ll try my hand at the guitar and singing :exclamation: ! :laughing:

And now for my next number (hum! I must be thinking about those zombies again!):?: :laughing:

When the second Adam became the progenitor of a new creation made up of Jews and Gentiles. It’s a new testament thing.

But that’s just it Eaglesway… the WHOLE scenario is a “new testament thing” and you dragging everything out of and past its timeframe explains your own confusion in thinking “Full preterists are missing the whole back end of God’s plan as far as I can see,…” – the operative words being “as far as I can see” :exclamation:

Absolutely Chad and this is how I would frame the reality of that truth…

Out of the world God chose Israel
… Out of Israel God chose the Remnant
… Out of the Remnant God chose the Messiah
… In the Messiah God chose the Remnant
… In the Remnant God chose Israel
In Israel God chose the world

Certainly by its very nature much of Scripture is Israel-centric or specific. This however in no way negates its value for believers post Parousia in applying its truths and principles beyond the firstfruits time frame or “age” for this reason: Israel was the redemptive microcosm for what God was outworking redemptively ON BEHALF OF the whole creation – macrocosm. Thus explaining the above…

God predestined-called-elected historic Israel; out of Israel He chose a remnant; through this remnant came the Christ (Messiah); through Christ God called a remnant (the NT firstfruit saints); through this remnant God delivered (saved) all Israel; and in redeemed Israel the whole world obtained the reconciliation.

So then, God’s unilateral covenant with the Gentile Abram that “in you ALL families of the earth would be blessedGen 12:3 found fruition in the Seed – Christ, and thus through Christ’s Body – the firstfruit believers, was ministered the redemptive plan and purpose of God for and ON BEHALF OF humanity, ALL humanity. This is how that which had a fixed “this generation” fulfilment, purpose and reality extends through the Parousia embracing all.

Again bang on the money Chad. The essence then of what Paul is saying is this… “you’ve been reconciled… now come live in the fullness of it!”

((I might add… this understanding is an inclusive prêterist rationale (pantelism) and is not generally held to by those embracing standard prêterism; but inclusion IS the logical implications of FULL prêterism IMO. Needless to say many a full prêterist now finds annihilationism somewhat more palatable, but THAT position has its own problems.))

Eaglesway,

My wife and I just came back from performing at a hospice house in northern Arkansas. They lit 3000 lights, each representing a person they’ve helped in the last ten years. Do the math on that one. They put a candle in a white paper sack to represent each of the folks touched by this hospice house.

Staggering.

You are absolutely right on … some times rather than discuss doctrine, we need to just sing praise!! :smiley:

davo,

you said,

"Certainly by its very nature much of Scripture is Israel-centric or specific. This however in no way negates its value for believers post Parousia in applying its truths and principles beyond the firstfruits time frame or “age” for this reason: Israel was the redemptive microcosm for what God was outworking redemptively ON BEHALF OF the whole creation – macrocosm. Thus explaining the above…

God predestined-called-elected historic Israel; out of Israel He chose a remnant; through this remnant came the Christ (Messiah); through Christ God called a remnant (the NT firstfruit saints); through this remnant God delivered (saved) all Israel; and in redeemed Israel the whole world obtained the reconciliation.

So then, God’s unilateral covenant with the Gentile Abram that “in you ALL families of the earth would be blessed” Gen 12:3 found fruition in the Seed – Christ, and thus through Christ’s Body – the firstfruit believers, was ministered the redemptive plan and purpose of God for and ON BEHALF OF humanity, ALL humanity. This is how that which had a fixed “this generation” fulfilment, purpose and reality extends through the Parousia embracing all."

This is absolutely the thing that most who reject (or I might say may not understand) any kind of preterist thinking need to hear!!

Again- “This however in no way negates its value for believers post Parousia in applying its truths and principles beyond the firstfruits time frame or “age” for this reason:”

I had to repeat that. This is gold.

Thanks davo.

Randy,

Thanks for the videos.

I come from up around your neck of the woods.

Ever heard of Freeport?

Psalms 119:89 Your word, O Lord, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens."
1 Peter 1:25 “but the word of the Lord endures forever.”
God’s word was given in the beginning of creation, it doesn’t change. It is eternal. It is man that tries to change it. The testimony of Jesus ( the Word) was the same testimony as that in the beginning. To me, this means that it was not new, but it was a resurrection of the same one as was known from the start. Therefore, it has always been open to all men who were willing to follow it. It is the way man should live in order to have life on earth.

Actually, I didn’t, Maintenance Man. And I can find anything on a Google search. Is there some place nearby that is giving away free port cheese :question: :laughing:

Wait a minute. You mean Freeport, Illinois? Sure, I’ve head of it. When I’m not in Castalia or Gallifrey - or somewhere in-between - I hang out in Carol Stream, Illinois. Nearby you have:

Wheaton College - home of Billy Graham
Theosophical Society in Wheaton - home to a library of over 25 K books on philosophy, religion and science
College of Dupage in Glen Ellyn - the largest US community college

And you can find me - from time to time - hanging out at all three places. :stuck_out_tongue:

As far as music goes, I love the blues (and other forms of music, like folk, reggae, country, bluegrass, classical (my favorite), etc. Blues has 2 main categories:

Raunchy
“Super Cheerful”

Since I can’t share the first category here, I’ll share one from the second category - “Super Cheerful”:

Yepper Randy, Freeport Illinois.

Thanks for the song. SkyDog (Duane Allman) was incredible. Wonder if there are guitars where He’s at right now?

Not sure, Maintenance Man. Hopefully, He’s not working with the Marberry Band. I think the Devil sunk some professional players in temporarily - to fool everyone :laughing:

<The blues ain’t nothing, the blues ain’t nothing but a woman on a poor man’s mind.>

God puts His fingers on the strings and plucks and strums and his music is the play of life and the beauty of mankind in sorrow and joy…a harmony that will ring out through all time and etrnity.

As long as you are from Tennessee :question: :laughing:

You know what is cool? They have a threater deep in a cave, that is 333 feet underground. They have class bluegrass acts there at the Bluegrass Underground

I wonder what the verse “get their corn in a jar” means? It must be a health tonic, for what ails you :exclamation: :laughing:

I think I’ve found a way of tying together this thread’s OP with the musical tangent it’s taken.

What if 70AD was ‘a’ coming and not ‘thee’ coming of the Parousia? ‘A’ coming in judgement like threatened to the Church in Ephesus in Rev. 2:5? " I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent"

That’s how the American Union Army apparently thought. Notice Julia Ward Howes opening line: “Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord” Second stanza, " I have seen Him in the watch fires of a hundred circling camps"

Joan Baez, Battle Hymn of the Republic

youtube.com/watch?v=YHforl6vnco

Well, I’ll take the blame for getting this thread off point via another post I made. My fault (I would say my BAD but I love my wife’s song)

Anyway: A. Guy, I’m not sure that when looking at the gospel words about Christ’s return (or even Paul’s letters) does it ever even remotely allude to the possibility of more than one ‘return’…

Christ’s redeeming sacrifice was God’s reconciliation! This, is what is called the Parousia. It was this grand gesture of his continued focus (and love) through Israel to bring the barrier between his creation and himself down: He did the work, not leaving it up to us.

I can’t (or don’t want to) speak for anyone else who considers themselves a full prederist but I’ll make 2 observations about those who want to beat up on full preterist’s views.

First, all of the scriptural proof texts that talk about an 'about to be ’ or ‘coming soon’ coming of Christ are always shrugged off with some sort of ‘well we did not hear or see of it’ mentality…

And second is the brazen thought that the bible was written for modern Christians personally, and they can shift and mold what was written about and to a people thousands of years ago and all the sudden it has special meaning in their lives. Yes we can glean from the good news but it is what it is!

Unfortunately, many try to take the scriptures where they really don’t go.

Just a thought!

Chad

Chad, have you ever considered the possibility that Jesus and the apostles DIDN’T KNOW when the second coming of Christ would be, but that they THOUGHT it would be soon?

Who was, and is and is to come. As I understand this it refers to a continual coming.

When Jesus spoke these words no one knew the specific “day nor hour” BUT they would be aware of that Day’s impending arrival by being attentive to the signs prophesied TO THEM i.e., Jesus’ own “this generation” – not anyone else’s.