The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Facts to be Considered by All Full Preterists

The Jesuit Alcasar only systematised what had already been in tow. Not only that… apply your “conclusion” to any degree of prêterism not just “full” (partial for example) and the whole objection falls flat. As for example would the likes of Calvin’s earlier “justification by faith” – same deal. IOW the whole “argument from silence” is a complete furphy… just as the likes of ‘predestination’ (Luther) or ‘justification by faith’ (Calvin) etc were not invented by these men alone, but simply systemised.

This makes interesting reading from Eusebius Pamphili of Caesarea (AD. 264-339)

Actually I dont think it is a “furphy” because the OP concerned silence in ancient writings in regards to the coming of the Lord. This unnoticed fulfillment of the second coming of Christ upon which preterism depends.

This unnoticed in history fulfillment that supposedly satisfies so many prophetic points yet is unrecorded in any artifacts of any kind and seemingly impotent in terms of any of the significant effects it ought to have rendered by now in the church or the world at large- were it real.

IF you are consistent and apply your own rationale of “ancient writings” to the equation of Christ’s Cross and all that that entailed THEN you have a HUGE credibility problem more devastating to your own position!

It wasn’t “unnoticed” at all… it was simple NOT understood for WHAT it was – as you yourself repeat. The “evidence” IS there in history… the destruction of Jerusalem WAS The Day of The Lord, period!

Jesus’ ‘coming in the glory of the Father’ replicated EXACTLY HOW Yahweh came on clouds of judgment as recorded in the OT… it’s all there, it’s the SAME biblical language. It literally happened BUT NOT WITH the wooden-literalism of physical clouds of water vapour under one’s feet.

Of further interest to @Pilgrim with regards this “silence” are a number of youtube presentations by Don K. Preston specifically dealing with the issue…

Period, eh? :slight_smile:. Assertion as evidence? e are still in the Day of the Lord. The Day of the Lord is like an onion. Or a rosebud. Or a seed, shoot, leaf, stalk, full ear of grain. Like the dawn that grows brighter to full noon.

I know that Jerusalem was judged, but the Day of the Lord was already begun. Paul wrote to the Thessalonians that we are all children of the Day. he wrote to the Romans, “On the Day that God judges the secrets of men’s hearts by Jesus Christ”. he wrote to the Corinthians, "Every mans work will be tested by fire, for the Day shall reveal it. The Day of the Lord came upon the israelites when jerusalem was overrun by the Assyrians and they were taken captive. Today, if you hear His voice, harden not your hearts.

There is a Sabbath rest for believers. That is the Day of the Lord- as I see it.

[size=150]…live dangerously and check out the videos. :laughing:[/size]

hmmmmm. So the all Day of the Lord produced was the first century apostasy. Doesnt ring true with either the OT or NT prophesies concerning the results of the coming of the Lord does it? Only 20 or so years of glory and then erasure by apostasy.

But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up.

11 Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, 12 looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be destroyed by burning, and the elements will melt with intense heat! 13 **But according to His promise we are looking for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells.**2 pet 3

They shall not hurt nor destroy in all My holy mountain, For the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD As the waters cover the sea.Is 11

“For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth;
And the former things will not be remembered or come to [n]mind.
“But be glad and rejoice forever in what I create;
For behold, I create Jerusalem for rejoicing
And her people for gladness.
“I will also rejoice in Jerusalem and be glad in My people;
And there will no longer be heard in her
The voice of weeping and the sound of crying.

Present world system and the principalities and powers that govern it and the foundations upon which it is built will be destroyed by the “sword of His mouth and the brightness of His appearing” in His day. That day is still just awakening among the ecclesia and is yet to spread to the world at large.

If all that was produced in 70AD was a little squeak, silenced in history by the first century apostasy, it wasnt much of a Day. Certainly not the Day I read about in the prophets and apostles.

Perhaps it is not the destruction of earthly Jerusalem that is the greatest testimony of the day of the Lord, but rather the revealing, the “coming down out of heaven”, of the New Jerusalem which is still occuring.

But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to myriads of angels, to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the Judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect, and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood, which speaks better than the blood of Abel.

Then** I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth passed away**, and there is no longer any sea. 2 And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them, 4 and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain;** the first things have passed away**.”

5 And He who sits on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” And He *said, “Write, for these words are faithful and true.”

There are a lot of beautiful things that come out of the preterist persuasion but this fixing of the day of the Lord at 70 AD isnt one o f them imo.

This is the problem with partial prêterism/futurism… it always reflects a partial understanding, failing to comprehend the fuller or more consistent prêteristic view. Do a search on ’Day of the Lord’ in the OT and all bar about one carry negative connotations in terms of ensuing judgment. Such judgment was a PERIOD of time culminating in an end or LAST day.

Persecution was occurring DURING this period AD30-70… though by the nature of things intensified at the latter end AD66-70 – the 3½ yrs or 42mths of biblical prophecy. Those succumbing to persecution ‘turned from the faith’. This was NOT as you errantly say “produced” by ‘the of Day of the Lord’ but by the persecuting Judaisers the likes of Hymenaeus of Philetus and Scribes and Pharisees.

The “heavens and earth” is descriptive metaphor for “Israel and Jerusalem/Temple–Tabernacle” as Josephus notes: The Temple was “Heaven” and Israel the “Earth”

Thus what was about to (mellō <μελλω>) “be destroyed with intense heat” was the world of the OC centred and epitomised in the Jerusalem and in particular The Temple. Again the Gk. text proves this by the description of “the elements” (stoixeia <στοιχεῖα>) – none other than the rudiments or basic principle of OC Judaism, as used elsewhere by Paul…

Again these “basic principles” or “element” “of the world” aka “heaven and earth” that were to melt with fervent heat was Jerusalem and Temple and so ALL vestiges of the “OC world” – thus answering to “what will be the sign of your coming and the end of the world/age?Mt 24:3

Thus the ‘heavens and earth’ that FINALLY “passed away” was the OC. What had been burgeoning and remained was the NC, none other than “the new creation!” come down out of Heaven i.e., the presence of God. “If any man be in Christ he is a new creation” – this is the consistent application of biblical language.

What do you have in mind? I do always prefer common ground. :slight_smile:

He didn’t say the current generation would not pass away until all these things take place.
He said this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.

To you, and probably to many others, both sentences mean the same—but they don’t.
You are assuming that γενεα (translated as “generation”) refers to the body of people living at the same time (roughly 30-33 years). The word CAN mean that, but if you look in Greek lexicons, you will find that the word also means, a family, a race, and a nation.

Jesus may have been saying that the Jewish race would not pass away until all these things take place. And it hasn’t yet passed away! So those events could still be future.

Also, if Jesus had been using γενεα to refer to the people living in his day, then the following words of Jesus seem peculiar:

The men of Nineveh will rise up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and behold, something greater than Jonah is here. The queen of the South will rise up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon, and behold, something greater than Solomon is here. (Matthew 12:41,42)

Why would the men of Nineveh and the queen of the South rise up against the people of that time and condemn them anymore than they would against the people of any other time to condemn them? Was it just because the Messiah appeared in that particular generation?

I think He was saying that they would rise up to condemn all people of that race who, throughout their lives, deliberately reject Him as Messiah.

Hi Paidion, you are right, I did use current instead of this, but the ‘this’ there does mean current ‘as in Jesus’ contemporaries.

If we use race, as you say, we will be saying that after a future coming of Christ the race of Israel will pass away once all these things take place.

I don’t think so.

On a bit of a lighter note within this subject,

davo said:

I was sitting at my table when I read the word furphy… And I’ll be darned if eagelsway didn’t use it also… I immediately asked my wife and kids if they had heard of such a word: no such luck :laughing: So I resorted to google the thing… I am wiser now. Though I realize I am out of the loop.

:laughing:

Mucho smarter folks than me here.

Well said Chad… this is an extremely astute and logically sound observation.

Not only that but the FACT no translations render “race” for genea <γενεὰ> in ANY of the gospels’ ‘mini apocalypse’ speaks volumes. In fact it would make little to no linguistic sense to exchange “generation” with “RACE” in any passage. Take for example the implications of doing so with Jesus’ words throughout the gospels…

I would submit that such a reading or rendering to not only be preposterous but potentially dangerous.

Again… genea <γενεὰ> typically translated “generation” would be incomprehensible of meaning if rendered as “RACE” in the following:

Not only this but I would challenge anyone to keep a straight face reading “generation to generation” as anything other than THAT very thing in THESE TEXTS from the OT. As all reputable lexicons will note in some form: genea <γενεὰ> typically translated “generation” speaks primarily of… the period covered by the life-time of a generation, used loosely in plural of successive ages. Here are a few examples demonstrating just this…

IMO… to read “RACE” into any of this smacks more of blinkered positional bias than exegetical trustworthiness.

It may be that Israel as a religion will pass away in that day, a religion that now regards Jesus, not as the Messiah, but as an imposter. Perhaps in that day, all will recognize Him as the promised Messiah, so that generation as a distinct people will pass away and as Paul said, there will no longer be Jew and Gentile, but all will be one people in Messiah Jesus.

Who would you challenge? I know of no one who has any inclination to read “generation” in those texts as anything other than the people who are alive at a particular time. However the fact that the word is sometimes used in that way does not imply that the word is ALWAYS used in that way.

With all due respect Paidion that seems quite a stretch in credulity. Not only that but Paul’s NO MORE “Jew/Gentile” motif has been, not WILL become, the present reality since THAT time, i.e., it’s not a hope to be attained but a reality to be grasped.

Anyway I’m just putting these things out there for general consideration in light of objections raised etc. :slight_smile:

Sorry Paidion… with regards to the mini-apocalypse of NT prophecy genea <γενεὰ> IS NOT ever used/translated/rendered “RACE” – it is FACTUALLY incorrect to keep maintaining this, i.e., it is a falsehood!

Hey Paidion,

‘Religion’ is a ways away from race, nation, people, FW it’s W. These scriptures, at least in my opinion, are pretty focused about a specific time. :slight_smile:

Thanks.

I did exactly the same thing Chad so you’re in bad company.

P.S. I, too, love the Quiet Man. For me, here in the UK, the epitomisation of the true American (man) would be somewhere between John Wayne and James Stewart.

" it’s not a hope to be attained but a reality to be grasped. "

That really sums up the view of ‘realized covenant eschatology’! :smiley:

:laughing: gotta love google :mrgreen:

That was my first hearing- and use, of the word furphy. I looked it up too. I kinda like the word, actually :slight_smile: