Free Will: Its Essential Nature and Implications

Let’s hear him talk on YouTube: :smiley:

But what does it mean, Dave, for God to be “outside time”? I find the concept to be unintelligible.
Those who hold to this idea, incomprehensible as it is, also seem to hold that God can act within time. How is this possible if He exists outside of time?

Also, why should existing outside of time (whatever that means) imply seeing all events within time simultaneously? Who would it not imply not seeing any events within time?

Also, “time” is not an entity that has to have been created. As I see it, “time” is but a measurement of the temporal “distance” between the occurrence of events. If there were no events, there would be no time. The first event was the generation of the Son. As soon as the second event occurred, time was the consequence. By “the consequence” I mean that it was implied by the occurrence of the two events. If that doesn’t make sense, consider drawing an equilateral triangle. The consequence is that you have also drawn an equiangular triangle. Your drawing of an equiangular triangle is implied by your drawing of an equilateral triangle.

You’ll have to ask McCann about that, Paidion - way above my pay grade! :smiley: It has to do with ‘Perfect Being’ theology, which I am just getting into.

Actually, Hugh J. McCann and Stephen T. Davis, have written books on this. Their ideas are briefly summarized in God in time or timeless?

Exactly, Dave. Thanks for finding someone who could say what I’ve been trying (mostly without success) to say for quite some, ahem, **time **now. :wink: Not here, so much, but you know, around the net. For us, the concept of being outside of time IS unintelligible. Yet that would have to be God’s situation if He is the foundational reality. He can’t be a resident of time or a resident of eternity. He IS eternity, and time is in Him.