The Evangelical Universalist Forum

George MacDonald on "The Unforgivable Sin"

Today’s excerpt:

Yesterday’s excerpt:

God knows how often this has applied in my own life… sigh. :slight_smile:

Today’s entry:

Tomorrow’s entry (I am trying to get ahead, so that I can concentrate all day tomorrow on catching up on editing. :mrgreen: )

Today’s excerpt:

Today’s excerpt:

Yesterday’s excerpt (which I was busy elsewhere and forgot to do. :mrgreen: )

Today’s excerpt:

Tomorrow’s excerpt (so I can concentrate on editing over the weekend :wink: ):

Sunday’s excerpt (posted ahead for the same reason):

Today’s excerpt:

Today’s excerpt:

Today’s excerpt (next to last for this sermon):

Today’s excerpt (finale for this sermon):

[Next sermon: [url=http://www.evangelicaluniversalist.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=408]The New Name]

It’s interesting that universalism seems to be something that MacDonald arrives at with a bit of a struggle (as we see him wrestling with the questions about Judas. Is there any writing of his that speaks of him struggling with the scriptures to find the answer of universalism?

Unfortunately, no, not to my knowledge. (It’s possible that his quasi-autobiographical picaresque novel Robert Falconer has some of that struggle; I’ve only recently gotten hold of it.)

MacD does speak every once in a while in the Unspoken Sermons series about the theological struggle he underwent as a child and young man, against the Calvinism of his youth. But he’s talking about principles, not about scriptural data.

The US trilogy (and what amounts to vol 4, The Hope of the Gospel) are not intended as systematic theology per se anyway, but as practical reflections and applications on verses (along with contextual and cultural understanding)–much like an archetypical Protestant ‘sermon’. In fact, the main reason I’ve put this series under “Christian Living”, is because universalism isn’t the main topic, but rather how we are to live as Christians. (For example, I can’t recall clearly when he’ll discuss universalism next, before Vol2’s sermon on “The Last Farthing”.) MacD’s universalism is a real component of that, so he talks about it when he thinks it’s appropriate; and every once in a while enters into a conceptual duel with non-universalist positions. But he professes to loath the controversy involved.

MacD was highly (if largely self-) educated, and widely read. He evidences familiarity with textual criticism (particularly Westcott and Hort, who were the standard of textual apparatus at that time), and with Roman and Greek classics. At one point he casually notes that as far as he can tell St. Paul may have invented a particular word (for ‘membership’, if I recall correctly) because he can find no evidence of its usage prior to Paul. He gives the impression of being deeply grateful for the efforts of the textual critics in providing analytical texts of the Greek New Testament, helping restore them to the originals; and while he is familiar with the Revised Standard and Authorized Standard of his day (we would call the latter the “King James”), he seems to prefer studying the material in Greek.

In short, his struggles per se are personal ones involving doctrine, not technical ones involving scriptural exegetics–mainly because he thinks (from his studies) that the exegetical case is rock solid.

E.g., “It may be some little comfort to [readers who disagree with certain interpretations but who do not see how to get rid of them],” he will write later in the finale to Vol 2, “to have one who has studied the New Testament for many years and loves it beyond the power of speech to express, declare to them his conviction that there is not an atom of such teaching in the whole lovely, divine utterance; that such things are all and altogether the invention of men–honest invention, in part at least, I grant, but yet not true.” (The topic is a particular theory of salvation, not non-universalism generally speaking. He is aware that there are some outlying data points that are harder to fit into universalism than others, such as the saying concerning Judas.)

I would dearly love to have seen him engage in a sustained exegetical study of scripture (including on this topic) rather than the flashes of such which can be found in his non-fictional work (mainly these sermon series, plus The Miracles of Our Lord–the text of which formed the basis for Lewis’ consideration of the miracles of Jesus, at the culmination of his apologetical masterword Miracles: A Preliminary Study.) Sadly, if such works were ever done, they are now lost.

To my knowledge there is no sustained analytical exegetic work from a careful but convinced universalist, assessing the various scriptural testimonies on the subject of God’s intentions and revelations in regard to salvation from sin, concerning the degree to which various pericopes can be said (both locally and in wider contexts) to point toward Calv, Arm or Kath soteriology (with subresults such as annihilationism, of course, which is usually a doctrine held by Arminianistic theologians. Although I do know of some Calvinists who would go that route if they thought the scriptural testimony pointed in that direction.)

So, that’s on my list of things to do someday. :mrgreen: (I couldn’t find a straightline progressing systematic metaphysical apologetic arriving at supernaturalistic theism, not to say trinitarianism, either–Lewis’ MaPS was helpful and of the right sort, but not in-depth enough. So I spent a couple of years writing one, to see whether the attempt would in fact arrive there. An exegetical analysis of scripture to assess Calv/Arm/Kath results, would take very much longer. God grant I live that long, and have the freedom to do it, and the fairness to weigh favorably toward other positions as the data indicates…)