The Evangelical Universalist Forum

GOD is love

perhaps GOD has hardened them into falsehood [temporarily] for a number of reasons one of them being to separate and scatter the sheep [temporarily] out of love and to test the fortitude of those who cling lovingly to the truth :question: :smiley:

:slight_smile: kinda sums it up , love is in some respects vastly different from what Christians expect even I suspect some members in this forum :astonished:

love sometimes wounds ! so looking at the subject of to edify for example , does this mean simply being ‘‘nice’’ ? or does edification out of love at times require for example , :confused: :question: :astonished: :question: :angry: :question: abruptness :question:

Calling those who kill, steal and destroy the lives of ‘His Chosen’, children of the Serpent, is not being rude or unloving. Love does not rejoice in evil and it most certainly will not give it empower evil by ignoring it.

Proverbs 27:5
Better is open rebuke than hidden love.

Proverbs 27:5
Better is open rebuke than hidden love.

:slight_smile: :wink: says it quiet well :exclamation: rebukes by their very nature aren’t particularly ‘‘nice’’ even a gentle one and a rebuke can be
[should be] bore out of love :exclamation: so to rebuke is to love :exclamation:

yet another facet of love unearthed !!! that seemingly goes against the grain :question:

thank-you for joining in.

I’m surprised with such a monumentally important question as this for it touches on the very nature of GOD and the most important topic in the scriptures that nobody else has anything to contribute :question: :confused: :question:

‘‘GOD is love’’

Amos 9:4 :sunglasses: , any more takers :question:

Can anyone help me with this. Hos 9:15The LORD says, "All their wickedness began at Gilgal; there I began to hate them. I will drive them from my land because of their evil actions. I will love them no more because all their leaders are rebels.

Does this contradict what Gods love for the world is? A hell believer showed this to me and it stopped me in my tracks.
I thought God loves all His creation without ecception?

the whole message of Hosea is that adulterous Israel will be reconciled to her Husband
if a wife was adulterous to the most virtuous and loving man alive, would he not get angry and use words like hate? but hate, as we all know, is very close to love. it implies you are still engaging with the person and that there is hope.

loathing, abhorrence, etc…those are far more worrying words to use…though i’m sure some ECT types could come up with examples of those if pressed.

for example, i loathe x factor, american idle (on purpose), etc. this means i avoid thinking or speaking of them. they are irreconcilable to me.
also, i abhore fungus.

i generally hate humanity though (selfish, grasping, sheeplike species that we are), and while i do have the urge now and then to shun us all (as much as possible), i believe that one day love will be there, and so there is hope…

…it strikes me that this is somewhat of an odd post, but i hope it makes some sense :laughing:

Keep reading …
Hsa 14:4 ¶ I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely: for mine anger is turned away from him.

This is a typical pattern in the OT prophets.

This might be helpful as well: An article on the Hebrew idiom "I love X but hate Y"

Sonia

the pattern fits in with Psalm 30:5. God is angry for a moment, but His favour is for life.
it’s a style of speaking that expresses His passion…hatred for sin and injustice and temporarily for those committing it…but ultimately love for those who have undergone judgement and refining

The Scripture are to be taken as a whole and not in part. When doing this, you find Scriptures that show that God only hates for a moment but His love is eternal, never ends, never fails, etc.

So your friend needs to be stopping in his tracks when you show him Scriptures like:

Isaiah 54:8
In a little wrath I hid my face from thee for a moment; but with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee, saith the LORD thy Redeemer.

What about the Canaanites?