The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Hades, Gehenna, Tartarus, & the Abyss: Distinct but Related Compartments

Given that your positions are known to change I’m ok that at this point you’re not quite in agreement :+1:

You’re probably right davo. Seeing that you never see things from different perspectives I guess I’m wasting my time. I will look over this issue some more though. I guess I can’t make my mind up because there’s more than one reasonable way to look at this issue. I need to approach this with more humility instead of trying to force others to see a certain perspective.

1 Like

Matthew 8:11-12.
11 And I say to you that many will come from east and west, and sit down with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. 12 But the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

I am reasoning, that the many who will come from the east and the west, to sit down with Abraham, Issac and Jacob are the equivalent to the many, who are Invited to the wedding feast, > AFTER < those unworthy ones and their city was to be
burned :——-

Matt 22:7-9.
7 But when the king heard about it, he was furious. And he sent out his armies, destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city. 8 >Then< he said to his servants, ‘The wedding is ready, but those who were invited were not worthy. 9 Therefore go into the highways, and as many as you find, invite to the wedding.’

At Matt 8:11-12, Christ is pointing to the fact, that when this time [wedding feast] actually occurs [ie] when the many from the east and the west join Abraham and co etc… The sons of the kingdom [those of Christ’s day] will be cast out into the outer darkness. It would also seem that the same warning is laid out to the many who are called after AD 70 :——

Matt 22:10-13
10 “So those servants went out into the highways and gathered together all whom they found, both bad and good. And the wedding hall was filled with guests. 11 “But when the king came in to see the guests, he saw a man there who did not have on a wedding garment. 12 So he said to him, ‘Friend, how did you come in here without a wedding garment?’ And he was speechless. 13 Then the king said to the servants, ‘Bind him hand and foot, take him away, and >cast him into outer darkness;< there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

I am seeing that those sons of the kingdom who failed to be ready at Christs first coming, will be joined by those many/sons of the kingdom, who fail to be ready at Christ’s second coming. At the second resurrection these ones together will find themselves cast outside of the N/J.

At AD 70, those inside of Jerusalems walls were unmercifully killed, and those who fled outside to the hills were saved. This seems to be at odds with Christ’s wording When he says at his return those who are faithful will enter the safety and blessings of the kingdom/n/j and those who are unfaithful will be cast outside of the kingdom/n/j into judgment.The latter judgment seems to be the complete opposite to what happened in AD 70.

My question to you Davo in a non argumentative manner is, if you believe that Christ reconciled the whole world to himself, to the point of no future judgment [except the coming temporal judgment] then how are those rejecting Jews who suffered death in AD 70 ever to be cast outside of the coming kingdom, when Abraham and co took their places at the wedding feast ? If Christ’s return and coming kingdom was established in
AD 70, along with the resurrection of the dead, then those who died in AD 70, would have Passed from this earth straight into Christ’s established kingdom With Abraham and co, Without suffering the shame of ever being cast out side of that kingdom in a state of bitter regret.

1 Like

To try and run Jesus’ parables to a timeline would be to miss the woods for the trees… parables are about the big picture NOT what interpretations we can attach to minute details therein — that’s not what parable were about, they are about themes.

Having said this… have you ever noticed that in any of Jesus’ parables where he references a king or nobleman — the dire consequence for aberrant behaviour is visited upon the self-same people to whom such scenarios involve, i.e., none other than Jesus’ very own contemporaries, his… “this generation.

In a non argumentative manner I do indeed believe that God reconciled the whole world to himself of which Paul himself (whom Christ personally taught) testifies, of which I can do no better than to simply believe, that is…

2Cor 5:19 …that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them,…

The wedding feast is emblematic of the parousia.

They were cast aside (Mt 21:43, 45) in terms of NOT coming into the reign (kingdom) of God in Christ in this life (Rom 5:17) and thus duly died in their sins (Jn 8:21, 24) not knowing in this life the forgiveness Jesus secured for them (Lk 23:34). I suspect in the parousia these rebellious ones experienced tremendous loss in terms of immense shame — before moving into the marvellous mercy of God.

See my answer above. Though transcending all, God’s kingdom outworks in this life in the here and now — that’s why we can know it.

Davo I’ll admit I am not the sharpest tool in the shed :joy: … I’m not sure I understand how the rebellious Jews can suffer lose and shame during / in the Parousia, when Matt 24 says that Christ’s coming on the clouds of the sky with power and glory [ie] symbolic of judgment. comes after the tribulation of those days. Why would Christ be coming in judgment after the event had taken place ? And how could the Parousia be present before it’s coming?

Hi Ben…

Persecutions and tribulations did indeed occur prior to the actual Last Day, i.e., resurrection (singular); but these things also ran concurrently for a time in that the whole period AD66—70 constituting ‘the last days’ (plural) of the old covenant age.

IOW… Yahweh was bringing judgement on Israel in that period culminating in the Last Day, of which John wrote that they then at that time were in fact very much in ‘the last hour’ thereof.

@davo - Hey bud, so you’ve given me a heaping halibut to chew on here and I’ll try to address each of your points when I get a chance to absorb, evaluate, and respond to them accordingly. You’re very studious I must say. Good stuff. Talk to ya soon and warm regards.

1 Like

@Hermano - Not sure if you’re still following our earlier correspondence but I did find the one and only [even somewhat] credible source on the creation of Tartarus for the fallen b’nai elohim - The Book of Enoch

XXI (21)

10 καὶ εἶπεν Οὗτος ὁ τόπος δεσμωτήριον ἀγγέλων· ὧδε συνσχεθήσονται μέχρι αἰῶνος εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα.

This, he said, is the prison of the angels; and here they are kept here until the Aeon of the Aeon.

Parallel to 2 Peter 2:4 | For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to chains of gloomy darkness to be kept until the judgment

and Jude 1:6 | And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

I totally agree with this comment, Davo is very clear and precise with what he believes. He presents historical facts and biblical context/scriptures behind everything he puts forward, which is a refreshing change [ie] someone coming at you from a biblical perspective and not just parroting church fathers creeds or book interpretations they adhere to. Davo dose give food for thought, and throwing the baby out with the bath water Isn’t always the wisest thing to do.

Davo if you read this small post, I may not agree with everything you say :wink: but I have certainly learnt from you in the short time I have been listening to you :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Thanks for your kind words Ben :+1: