The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Hebrews 6 and 10 - A Universalist Reaction?

Perhaps Gleason had in mind the likes of Mt 25:46 read as per the standard evangelical understanding?

Bob, how much of the full article did you read?

If you are putting 1 Corinthians 7:14 and Hebrews 10:26 together with in the same context. [ie] God through a believing spouse sanctifies the unbelieving party. Then I am asking you, do you believe that God through Christ, sanctifies [ie] sets apart as holy, counterfeit Christians who believe in a false gospel ?

What comes to mind qaz :question:

Wouldn’t that suggest that instead of a contradiction what we have in the likes of Heb 6 & 10 is a specified warning pertinent to the day and times of the audience to whom such warnings were actually given, i.e., the close of the old covenant age as per Christ’s AD70 Parousia — thus in line with the general thrust of the article I posted, etc.

Care to show how?

I agree the dread of “falling into the hands of the living God” seems worse than facing physical death.

Although I don’t agree with the return of Christ at AD 70. I do agree with part of Davos outlook on Hebrews 6+10, as above.

IF you can squeeze the likes of… “stealing, murder, and rape” into Heb 6:4-6 then how is that NOT by your own criterion, eisegesis? Look at the text… to have been enlightened by God’s word and Spirit and tasting the heavenly gift and the powers of the age breaking-in on them speaks to the fullness of the new covenantthat is what they could potentially ‘fall away’ from.

And so we come to Heb 10:26-29 where the warning is given that how grievous and willful a sin it would be to have once ‘received the knowledge of the truth’ and then reject the same, thereby ‘trampling underfoot’ God’s new covenant in Christ and again insulting His gracious Spirit. THAT is the very thing those who ‘drew back to perdition’ (vs. 39) were doing, i.e., falling back to Judaism, willfully, cf. 2Pet 2:20-22. Galatians says in kind here…

Gal 2:18 For if I build again those things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor.

Hmmm… nope I’m NOT convinced qaz.

1 Like

As pertaining to the Hebrews text under discussion… they refer to the deliberate choice certain believers had made or were in danger of making to jettison their new-found faith back in favour of the old covenant mode of existence they had, in the gospel of Christ, been freed from. Their falling away (2Thess 2:3; Heb 6:6) placed them in peril of the soon coming Judgement — a fiery judgement on their near horizon (vs. 27); the writer indicating this using the word μέλλω mello, i.e., about to be.