The Evangelical Universalist Forum

How close is the EOC to the historical Church?

It is perhaps tangential to the core of this but about a six weeks ago we (wife and I) were in St Petersburg. We decided we would like to go and see the underground which has an Art Nuevo look about it. Since this did not take very long we found ourselves deposited at an ordinary fruit and vegee market. As we were on a cruise ship and not likely to need any extra food we crossed the road and entered an ordinary (that is to say not a tourist magnet) church. What impressed me was the way folk would just come in an ignore the tourists (that was us) and simply go and do their worship thing whatever it was and then leave. It was humming with activity all the time we were there. No fuss, little organisation but clearly faith as an everyday matter. You can argue the details and the theology till the cows come home but you can’t argue with the testimony.

I hope you dont mind if I chime in, but I was just wondering, do churches like Orthodox, Catholic, Anglican, Protestant, Evangelical, or Restorationist matter? Considering there were other early Christian communities, many still existing like the Assyrian Church, the Oriental, Eastern and Roman Church. Plus other sects like the Gnostics, arians, and some others I cannot remember their names. But it seems like most mainstream Historic Protestant Churches have preserved the Western Liturgy.

And I was just wondering, how did the Apokatastasis get condemned as Heresy? I know that Justinian setup the counsel, and he was quite a tyrant himself. But I was wondering why the Churches accepted this condemnation?