The Evangelical Universalist Forum

How do you defend God's love against His other attributes?

Okaaay, I see where you are coming from… we definitely have significantly different views as to the grammar of the biblical Greek. :question: :question: :question: :question:
**FWIW… **

That intensification is borne out, as in, is reflected by the repeated מ֥וֹת תָּמֽוּת die die = “surely die” in the Hebrew of Gen 2:17. Again seen in Jesus’ oft repetitious “amen amen!” (Gk. ἀμὴν ἀμὴν = Heb. אָמֵֽן אָמֵ֥ן) = “truly, truly!” of John’s gospel etc. Again… FWIW.

Teehee :smiley:

Hey, Paidion,

My comment is only a bit off-topic for this thread, I’m sorry about that, but I found your reply fascinatingly close to my own beliefs and wished to hear your reply on the difference.

The phrase Jehovah used in Genesis 2:17, as I’m pretty sure you would know, is notoriously difficult to translate, for Jehovah Elohim just repeats the word for death, “…eat day thereof die die.”

…Which is not the same phrase that Ishsha repeated back to the The Nacash; for she both added to, and subtracted from, the Words of Jehovah when she said, “…no eat of, no touch, lest die.”

However, The Nacash did repeat back the exact phrase, which, to my way of thinking means It’s words should be translated as a question of surprise for hearing Ishah’s distortion: “not, ‘eat thereof die die?!?’”

So, I asked myself, “Were the words It spoke next, ‘For (Jehovah) Elohim knows that day eat of, eyes opened, exist (as) Elohim, knowing good (and) evil.’ the truth, or a lie?”

I think it was the truth, in much the same way that the media lies when they tell the truth, by contextually distorting exact phrases to encourage a hearer to believe the false ideas that are already held as truth, or bring doubt to hearers that know the truth.

Regardless, something happened to them on that day that changed them. I propose that what changed was that they acquired a conscience, which implies that a conscience did not exist in them prior to eating from, “The tree of the knowledge of the difference between good and evil,” which, “the knowledge of the difference between good and evil,” is the definition of a conscience!

Therefore, I hold that the Words of Jehovah about what would happen on the day they ate the fruit of this tree should read something like this: “In the day you eat of it, in dying, you will die.” This rendering implies something dramatic would change in them, rather than them just simply dying (spiritually or physically), which is what Ishsha wrongly came to believe Jehovah meant.

This is not a new idea, in fact it was suggested to me when C.S. Lewis in The Magician’s Nephew implied that Aslan’s permission was needed for the fruit of the Apple Tree planted in the fresh Narnia to affect, for good, the outcome of the effect for which the fruit was created; and when J.R.R. Tolkien implied in the Silmarillion concerning the Two Trees of Valinor, Telperion and Laurelin that, upon their destruction by Ungoliant, they could not be replicated because some things can only be done at the beginning.

Please know that I am very interested in what you will say to this idea.

By the way, I really like your moniker!