The Evangelical Universalist Forum

How To Live Under An Unqualified President by John Piper

steve said

Yepper :smiley:

Perhaps not each and every Democrat, but certainly the goals of those on the left of the Left.

In order to learn the right from the left, I present this short, **educational **video :smiley:

:laughing:
Not too realistic though - the drill sgt could actually almost be understood!

Hi Dave,

I’d just like to comment on this one “level of control that must be obtained before you are able to create a social state”:

Actually, no one is, or ever has been, actively increasing the national debt. That happens no matter who is in power. It has been increasing dramatically for over 70 years. Under our present money system, it cannot be otherwise. Some governments might take steps to slow down the increase a bit, but the increase will go on ad infinitum. And here’s the reason why. Under the present money systems of both the U.S.A. and Canada, money comes into existence as a debt. When you go to the bank and borrow ten grand, the bank doesn’t have ten grand to lend you. They are not permitted to lend the depositor’s money. What they do is simply place the number $10,000 into your account, and the money is created on the spot. (There are legal limits to how much money can be created.) Credit unions and other such financial institutions are not permitted to create money—only chartered banks. The result is inflation and depressions, depending on how the money supply goes. It is only because of borrowing that there is sufficient money in the country to buy needed goods and services. If people don’t borrow enough, there is a shortage of money, and such a condition results in a depression.

People think that money creation matches the goods and services available. That’s how it SHOULD be, but it isn’t. If the money supply were such that it balanced with the goods and services available there would be no more inflation or depressions. The main principle of Social Credit is to balance the money supply with the goods and services available. Social Credit is an economic system that has been STUDIED in economics at universities but has never actually been implemented except in the isle of Guernsey (a British possession), where it was tried, and the people became rich. Income taxes were eliminated.

If you are interested in what happened in Guernsey, just do an internet search for “The Guernsey Experiment.” You will find many sites in which it is described. I think the reason that the Social Credit money system has not caught on, is that most people do not understand the system.

A small booklet has been produced to explain the Social Credit system to the common man. It is called “Salvation Island.” It’s about a group of people on an island trading their goods and services until a banker arrived and convinced them that they needed money. And the only way they could get money was to borrow it from the banker. They had to repay with interest of course—which is mathematically impossible since the money they borrowed plus interest was greater than the money supply. When they pointed that out to the banker, he said, “That doesn’t matter. Just borrow more!”

There are drawings one each left page, and the account of the story is on the right. I have several copies of the book.

You can read the full text of the booklet at the following site (this site calls it “The Money Myth Exploded”):

archive.org/stream/MoneyMythExploded/MoneyMythExploded_djvu.txt

Here’s a site that is more readable. It also contains the drawings in the booklet “Salvation Island”:

michaeljournal.org/articles/social-credit/item/the-money-myth-exploded

Okay, I just discovered that the first site is readable if you reduce the text size. The second site changes some words. For example, it substitutes “The Michael Journal” for “Social Credit” in some cases. The Michael Journal is a journal of Catholic patriots who believe in the Social Credit monetary system.

Thanks Paidion - that looks very interesting and I will check it out. Nothing I’d ever heard of!

CHRISTIANITY TODAY

Not Quite What Trump Promised?

We’ll see. Perhaps still better than Obama turning us into Muslims? :laughing:

…you have better healthcare than we do”… [size=150]lol, Trump is clueless! :laughing: [/size]

RE the tax cut, these are some basic facts. China taxes Corporations at 15% , Europe around 20% but the USA is at 35%, so reducing our Corp tax rate to 15-20% simply levels the playing field and gives Corps in the USA to stay here and expand here.

The Dems talking points are always the same no matter what “the tax cut is for rich people” “tax cuts never work” but truth be told under Reagen we averaged 4.5% economic growth but under Obama less then 2%. It makes a huge difference! YUGE!

Here’s a couple of excerpts from an article at Forbes: (everything below this is from the article)

"First, some terminology. Single-payer health care describes any country in which the government is effectively the sole insurance company: the “single payer” of health insurance claims. Socialized health care describes a country in which the government owns the entire health care system—not just the insurance companies, but also the hospitals, the nursing homes, and the doctors’ offices.

Canada is single-payer because while Canada’s insurance system is controlled by the government, there are private hospitals and doctors. Scotland’s system, like the rest of Great Britain, is socialized, because the British National Health Service runs everything."

Canadian health care is popular with healthy Canadians who never really have to use it. But if you’re sick, look out. A 2014 study by the Fraser Institute found that wait times for medically necessary treatment in Canada have increased from 9.3 weeks in 1993—not great—to 18.2 weeks. Wait times were especially bad if you needed hip, knee or back surgery (42.2 weeks) or neurosurgery (31.2 weeks).

As we know from the scandal involving the U.S. Veterans Health Administration, health care delayed is health care denied. The people who suffer the most under the Canadian system are those who can’t afford to hop on a plane or pull strings to get treated in the United States.

Martin Samuels, the founder of the neurology department at Harvard’s Brigham and Women’s Hospital, found this out when he worked as a visiting professor in Canada. “The reason the Canadian health care system works as well as it does (and that is not by any means optimal) is because 90% of the population is within driving distance of the United States where the privately insured can be Seattled, Minneapolised, Mayoed, Detroited, Chicagoed, Clevelanded and Buffaloed,” Samuels wrote recently in Forbes. “In the United States, there is no analogous safety valve.”

The sick in Scotland, unfortunately, have no such safety valve. They are forced to wait, and wait, and wait. In 2008, a group of investigators conducted a worldwide study of cancer survival rates, called CONCORD. The investigators asked the question: if you get diagnosed in your country with breast cancer, or colon cancer, or prostate cancer, how long are you likely to live?

In that study, the U.S. performed better than every country in western Europe. The United Kingdom came out second-to-last. The researchers broke out the data for Scotland, and the results are revealing. If you’re diagnosed with breast cancer in the U.S., you have an 84 percent chance of living for five years. In Scotland, it’s 71 percent. If you have colon cancer in the U.S., you have about a 60 percent chance of surviving five years. In Scotland, it’s 46 percent. If you have prostate cancer in the U.S., you have a 92 percent chance of living five years; in Scotland, it’s 48 percent.

-Here’s the article link. If you have facts that contradict parts of this please post them.
forbes.com/sites/theapothec … a4a0c45a9c

Can you give an example or two, Paidion, of specialized care in the US, that’s not available in Canada?

Of course, the US has find physicians and hospital facilities, as this video illustrates :laughing:

Let’s see what the BBC news has to say today, in this short video:

Is Trump right about Australian healthcare?

We already have single-payer health insurance run by the USA, and it is a total disaster. It is called the Veteran’s Administration.
IF THE GOVERNMENT CANNOT RUN ONE EXAMPLE OF A SINGLE PAYER SYSTEM - THE VA - WHAT MAKES YOU THINK THAT THE GOVERNMENT CAN RUN A SINGLE PAYER SYSTEM FOR THE ENTIRE COUNTRY??
Consider the following. I attach the link below the excerpt:

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has been held up by proponents of a single-payer healthcare system as a superior model in contrast with non-VA systems and even the Affordable Care Act (ACA or Obamacare). In a January 27, 2006 piece for The New York Times, columnist Paul Krugman boasted that the VA is a “success story” and “one of the best-kept secrets in the American policy debate.” In a November 13, 2011 column, he again showcased the VA as a “huge policy success story,” using it in his defense of socialized medicine. Philip Longman wrote a 2007 book entitled, “Best Care Anywhere: Why VA Health Care Is Better Than Yours.”

The façade of the supposedly utopian healthcare system began to finally crack on September 6, 2013, when the VA Office of Inspector General (OIG) published its investigation of Williams Jennings Bryan Dorn Veterans Medical Center in Columbia, South Carolina, where six deaths were tied to delays. The report found that despite the fact that taxpayer money was given to fix the problem in September 2011, the center still had 700 delays for appointments deemed “critical.” On November 20, 2013, CNN published a report stating veterans are “dying needlessly because of long waits and delayed care at U.S. veterans hospitals.” Following that report, House Veterans Affairs Committee Chairman Jeff Miller (R-Fla.) began an investigation and Rep. John Barrow (D-Ga.) said Congress had, “a duty to make sure that the veterans who serve get the best health care possible. And it is very obvious that for too long and for too many folks that hasn’t happened.”

A January 30, 2014 CNN report exposed allegations that in 2010 and 2011, diagnosed cancer patients waited months for basic medical screenings like colonoscopies or endoscopies. Ten veterans were confirmed to have died in the South Carolina and Georgia region due to long wait times while another 7,000 in those states were found to still be on waiting lists. Five veterans died in the Florida region. In the Rocky Mountain region, two veterans died. In the Texas region, “seven vets or their families were sent disclosures about adverse events and serious injuries suffered because of delayed care.”

Much more at: cagw.org/media/wastewatcher … s-veterans

Dave quoted:

Possibly those are correct definitions of “single-payer health care” and “socialized health care.” I don’t know. I hadn’t even heard of "“single-payer health care” until a read it in a recent post of Dave’s.

Dave quoted:

—Emphasis mine.

What is meant by the underlined words? That all insurance is controlled by the government? That is untrue. That all health insurance is controlled by the government? That is also untrue. Besides the provincial government operated “Ontario Health Insurance Plan” I also have additional health insurance through a private company that has a special arrangement with the Retired Teachers of Ontario, that covers the cost of prescription medicine, dental treatment, and eye glasses. I have not subscribed to all of its features, exempli gratia: semi-private hospital care.

Dave quoted:

I have read horror stories of people who died waiting for treatment in Canada, but it has not been my experience. In 2007, I had prostate surgery in Winnipeg. I don’t remember the exact waiting period. I remember only that it didn’t seem very long—maybe a week or so.

A couple of years ago, I had blood and clots in my urine, and soon was unable to urinate at all. I was accepted immediately in two different hospitals. Attempts to insert a catheter failed, and I was immediately flown to Winnipeg in a medical helicopter, a distance of about 250 miles. I was the only patient in the helicopter. As soon as I arrived, I was taken to a doctor who, by using a scope, was able to easily insert a catheter. I was then flown back to Ontario in a small medical plane to the main hospital not far from my home, where I was kept in the hospital for several days, while flushing my system until the urine cleared up (no longer contained blood). I was thankful and completely satisfied with the way the Ontario Health system dealt with my need. So OHIP is popular with this Canadian who has had to use it—many times!

How would the U.S.A. (prior to Obama Care) dealt with my need? And approximately what would it have cost me?

This discussion does raise some questions. Why is the US Veterans Administration - so messed up in healthcare administration? But a country like Singapore, is rated # 1 in health care?

Go back to what the BBC news has to say today, in this short video:

Is Trump right about Australian healthcare?

Notice that Singapore is # 1. Rather then emotional or logical speeches - by members here, I ask this question. What independent statistics, can you present? That tells the success or failure, of the Veterans Administration? That tells the success or failure - of Singapore? Or any other country - for that matter?

I’m not sure that it is the system that is the factor; rather, how it is adminisered. My focus of course is the US, whose gov’t has shown a remarkable ability to screw things up. Other countries, Canada, Singapore and I’m sure others, must have better administration of the program.
As for facts and figures about the VA here in America, you can find those with any basic internet search.
My point was a fortiori - if the gov’t cannot run the VA, which is small potatoes, how much more will it not be able to run a single-payer system for a country with 350 million people?

1 Like

This is an excellent short article on the push for nationalizing health care:

maverickphilosopher.typepad.com/ … .html#more

Is this a statistical causation effect or a statistical correlation effect? See Correlation does not imply causation