The Evangelical Universalist Forum

If God were a Universalist at heart...why didn't?

Jason,
You have dedicated half this thread assuming my motives without even attempting to respond to the truth given to this forum in this thread. How honorable of you to attack me unjustifiably knowing I can’t defend myself to your theories. I know coming in like this to defend myself is the only way and I accept any consequences of it.

I honestly did not remember starting that thread almost a year ago.( And i did not copy and paste anything…it is all mine) But what I did notice you are busy mocking my memory of it instead of giving a biblical response to it. You failed to respond in both cases which tells me you can’t respond biblically nor can anyone else on this forum. Cindy’s response was based out of her emotions and not the Bible.

I believe my time on this forum has run its course. I believe I read somewhere on here that they were sad my voice was silenced
On this forum because I presented challenges to UR that went unanswered or unsatisfactory answers.

Jason instead of making unnecessary untrue attacks on me that I can’t defend maybe you should try to answer my refutation of UR on this thread and last Januarys thread. God bless.

G’day Aaron…

Perhaps your view of Universalism doesn’t need to be as narrow as you seem to make it. The essence of salvation is NOT about who gets to heaven, but rather about bringing service to God, i.e., one is ‘saved to serve’.

Thus God or man’s ability “to choose” isn’t wrapped up in post mortem destinies, but rather WHO is being called to serve God in THIS life in loving his neighbour, i.e., the royal rule Jas 2:8].

Incidentally, also a completely new email address and ip there. What are the odds?!

Also now banned, and since you insist on trying to get around the bans I expect your Jan 15 scheduled unban will be revoked and probably not reassigned. As to your motives, I’ve brought out the data for members to decide for themselves whether the logic adds up.

I didn’t “fail” to address your thread last time because I was busy elsewhere. But imagine what you like, no one can stop you.

Discussions about Adam and Eve (either literally or representing our first human ancestors), in regard to free will, salvation, God’s omniscience and/or God’s intentions in the Fall, are actually rather common on the forum, as anyone who bothers to spend a few minutes checking will discover; challenges to Christian universalism amounting to God’s respect for free will of sinners resulting in Him destroying the free will of sinners or allowing them to destroy their own free will, are even more common. Two projects I’ve been recently working on (with extensive commentary here on the forum) feature opponents to universalism appealing to such arguments, and a third very recent thread features Jerry Walls (and one of his own annihilationist opponents for that matter!) giving it, too. That doesn’t count the dozens of other times I myself (not even counting other members) have discussed the topic on this forum since its inception, including in relation to my beloved ‘teacher’ C. S. Lewis, whose theological and apologetical school of thought I definitely follow (with slight modifications in line with the logical implications of his own arguments, including with repairs to the few logical incoherencies in his arguments) and who was by far the most popular Protestant proponent of the theory in the 20th century, thereby greatly influencing contemporary proponents of the theory today.

But what the hey, never hurts to lick that calf again.

Christian universalism, like any other Christian soteriology, is about salvation of sinners from sin. God puts it into effect if and only if some of His creatures sin, just like He would put any other salvation theory (if another one is true instead) into effect if and only if some of His creatures sin.

That God in His omniscience sees creatures using their free will to sin and so (from our temporal perspective) plans in advance to save them from their sins, including how to go about it through the Incarnation and Passion (among other things like inspiring evangelism and setting up the historical contexts of the Incarnation and Passion), is no more a problem for Christian universalism than it is for any variety of Arminianism or Calvinism.

That God insists on acting to save sinners from sin without their initial permission or even desire, is no more a disrespect or violation of their free will in Christian universalism than it is in Arminianism (where God does so for all sinners at first even if for whatever reason(s) He gives up later) or in Calvinism (where God persists in doing so for some sinners instead of for all sinners until He gets it done).

That God created a perfect world and yet allowed His perfectly good creatures to fall into sin, temporarily ruining His world, is no more a problem if He persistently acts to save all such sinners from sin afterward, than if He acts to save only some sinners from sin afterward. I would say it’s even less of a problem in the former case, because unless God saves all sinners from sin eventually, then God allows (or cannot stop) sin from ultimately and permanently ruining at least some of His originally perfectly good creatures!

So much for Adam and Eve: it is at least as logically coherent for God to allow them to sin, temporarily ruining His world, if He plans to save them both from their sins someday (per Universalism), than if He plans to save only Adam or only Eve from his or her sin someday (per Calvinism), or omnisciently foresees that He will give up saving one of them from their sins for whatever reason (per Arminianism). The same principle extends to however many sinners other than two ever exist: a comparison of total or partial salvation from sin, is still an all or part comparison regardless of the actual numbers involved.

Meanwhile, it is far more logically coherent for God to restore all His creatures to righteousness and incorruption someday, if He created them to be righteous and uncorrupt in the first place and regards this as an optimal state of affairs, than for God to allow or insist on some of His creatures never being righteous and uncorrupted.

It is also far more logically coherent for God to keep acting to preserve the free will of His creatures, even if currently they are freely choosing to do that which will destroy their free will apart from God’s gracious intervention, if He values their free will; than to allow them to destroy their free will (much moreso to destroy their free will Himself) if He values their free will.

Precisely because I wholeheartedly and coherently endorse the doctrine that true love requires, values and supports free will, thus that God Who is essentially and fundamentally True Love as the ground of all existence requires, values, and supports free will; I therefore logically reject any soteriology which involves God’s creatures losing God’s gift of their free will. There are some versions of universalism which avoid that problem, but every version of non-universalism involves God allowing or forcing at least some of His creatures to permanently lose their free will.

That all people will come someday to a point where they freely choose good instead of evil ever afterward, is no more problematic than that God eternally chooses to do good instead of evil rather than being constrained by some superior force to only do good. That God will persistently act toward bringing about such a state of affairs between all persons until, in His omnicompetency He gets it done, and won’t give up short of the goal, is no more problematic than for God to persistently and eternally act to self-exist as the foundational “state of affairs” (in several senses of that phrase) between Persons freely choosing to fulfill fair-togetherness toward one another in interpersonal communion. The greater (God’s Trinitarian foundational self-existence) is itself the strongest possible guarantee of the lesser (God bringing all derivative creatures to be righteous to one another, even if at particular moments in time they aren’t being righteous with the righteousness of God, apart from which there is no other righteousness).

In short, because the Trinity is true, God is and must be a universalist at heart.

Those (and your other brief scripture refs) have all been discussed many times on the forum, including by me, including (for Matt 12 and 2 Thess 1) in some recent threads of mine, including in threads you either started or participated in, including in threads you were running before being banned in January; so for anyone new to the forum (unlike you) if I don’t go out of my way to discuss them again here, that doesn’t mean I’m ignoring them. But since I know from long past experience that you’re going to claim (against all evidence) I ignore such things anyway, I figured I might as well pre-empt your complaint.

Same is true for your claim that God’s spiritual fire and heat (analogically describing the action of the Holy Spirit) do not change a man’s heart (since few if any universalists either claim or care whether literal fire and heat leads a man to repentance)–you’ve conveniently forgotten scriptural examples to the contrary, as well as the extended discussions of the contexts of Rev 14, just like you claim to have forgotten you created this thread and its topic shortly before being banned, thus having never seen your own argument before.

Anyone wanting to discuss things with you who doesn’t know you yet is advised to take such things into account.

Meanwhile, I have indeed finally grown tired after all these years of trying to protect you from the consequences of your actions; let them fall on you for a while. For example, anyone who wants to score free points on you while you can’t respond is welcome to do so, as far as I care–I won’t stop them.

Shouldn’t that be *your version *of the truth, my multiple identitied friend?

Yup, you got us all. We’re all totally non-plussed, literally struck dumb by your brilliantly persuasive arguments.

Er, quite possibly … :laughing:

Adios amigo

J

:laughing: Johnny

I’m sorry Revival, er, Aaron can’t seem to see, but one day he will. And all will be well and all manner of things will be well. :wink:

Jason,
You failed to address my challenge. You have given reasons why you think it is not a problem for God to allow his creation to sabotage it and you also gave your emotional reasons why God will not stop to bring people to salvation after the fall but you did not address why he allowed it if Unversalim were true.

In Gen 1:28 God told man to replenish the earth with perfect righteous humans who would be born with the life of God. If Universalism were truly in God’s heart he would not of created man with the ability to choose to sabotage that plan. Before the fall in Gen 3 God already had what UR represents without the torment, pain and suffering that people would have to experience in Hell and the lake of fire to have an eternal relationship with him according to UR theology Why would God want his perfect creation to be corrupted with sin and death, and allow humans and his Son to suffer needlessly just to send Jesus to restore creation back to what he already had in the beginning? That is absurdity gone wacko, Jason.

The truth of the matter is God knew the risk making humanity with the ability to choose and he also knew that a large number of people would not choose him and reject him. That is why Jesus was slain before the foundation of the world because God knew Adam would cause creation to fall and God made provision for WHOSOEVER calls on the name of the Lord to be reconciled back to him! He absolutely knows not ALL people who ever lived will accept this reconciliation therefore making Universalism false and never in the heart of God. God honors peoples choices. Choose life, and not death, Jason.

God never has or never will use Hell or the lake of fire as a means to salvation.

Against my better judgement I’m gonna thow in my 2p … (more to benefit my own thinking than anything else)

Because the original plan was to have a good universe full of free creatures who participated in & with God freely.

Really good question; I think the answer is that God’s love obligates Him to create free beings, and freedom that is not limited by coercion carries with it the risk of rejection.

Agreed IF God wanted universalism without free will. But He wanted universalism AND free will. And, when it comes to ultimates, God gets what God wants. God doesn’t fail: His plan of having a good universe full of free willed beings participating in love (and with none outside) will succeed.

Yes they were. And they were also capable of rejecting Him also. Because God had a degree of epistemic distance between Him and Adam; because Adam had freedom which God had bound Himself to honour with serious consequence without overwhelming interference, Adam could, and did, choose contrary to God’s will.

Only if freedom cannot guarantee universalism; only if free will makes universalism incoherent. And it does with certain types of freedom or certain types of universalism. But I think that God can ensure that all creatures come to Him freely without coercion by using *fully convincing *persuasion. All beings will retain their free will, though God’s persuasive abilities will be so good that no rational being (and all beings will be fully rational then) could reject God. Maybe a bit like believing 2+2=4. Once you understand that 2+2=4 you cannot seriously doubt it, or will to disbelieve it. To understand is to know, and then to act accordingly (to the degree that you are consistent and rational).

Why didn’t God just start the universe off like that? Because full persuasion/revelation of God’s character is seen only in the crucified God, and God couldn’t be crucified without death, which meant death had to enter the universe before that option ws available to Him. He couldn’t introduce it Himself as it is contrary to His character (it’s evil), but once introduced by free willed beings He could subvert that worst weapon of the devil to ensure the completion of His initial plan.

That’s a great post, Pog. Good answers to Aaron, although I doubt that he will agree. :unamused:

Pog rocks!!! :smiley: :laughing:

Hey Pog,

You said: Why didn\'t God just start the universe off like that? Because full persuasion/revelation of God\'s character is seen only in the crucified God, and God couldn\'t be crucified without death, which meant death had to enter the universe before that option ws available to Him. He couldn\'t introduce it Himself as it is contrary to His character (it\\\'s evil), but once introduced by free willed beings He could subvert that worst weapon of the devil to ensure the completion of His initial plan.

Aaron\'s response: Where in the Bible did you get this revelation? Death had to enter? Really? So, you are saying it was God’s will for sin and death to enter his perfect universe because God\'s character is seen only in the crucified God? Huh? This revelation of yours makes God the author of sin which is absurd and impossible. God already had a permanently perfect world before the fall. God just cleaned up Adam’s free will choice mess and makes provision for all humanity and creation to be restored back to Him through Jesus.That was God\'s back up plan, Pog…not His original plan.

God\'s original plan was in Gen 1 & 2. In Gen 1:28 God told man to replenish the earth with perfect righteous humans who would be born with the life of God. If Universalism were truly in Gods heart he would not of created man with the ability to choose to sabotage that plan. Before the fall in Gen 3 God already had what UR represents without the torment, pain and suffering that people would have to experience in Hell and the lake of fire to have an eternal relationship with him according to UR theology Why would God want his perfect creation to be corrupted with sin and death, and allow humans and his Son to suffer needlessly just to send Jesus to restore creation back to what he already had in the beginning? That is absurdity gone wacko, Pog.

The truth of the matter is God knew the risk making humanity with the ability to choose and he also knew that a large number of people would not choose him and reject him as the result of that risk. That is why Jesus was slain before the foundation of the world because God knew Adam would cause creation to fall and God made provision for WHOSOEVER calls on the name of the Lord to be reconciled back to him! He absolutely knows not ALL people who ever lived will accept this reconciliation therefore making Universalism false and never in the heart of God. God honors peoples choices. Choose life, and not death, Pog.

God never has or never will use Hell or the lake of fire as a means to salvation.

Free will is the stake through UR\'s heart. God created humanity to choose. God knew not all will choose Him otherwise he would of created us without free-will. Hint: the part of the risk God took and accepted before he created humanity.

Jesus said it best in John 3:19 \“And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.\\\”

Man\\\\\\\'s free will in action and God will honor it with separation from him for eternity.

I want to apologize to this board for coming on here like this. This makes me feel uncomfortable and I will not do it again. Unless you un-ban me this is my last comment on this forum which would be a shame. I believe without a shadow of a doubt that I have proven UR to be false and not a possibility with God.

Universalism was declared heresy 2000 years ago and it is still declared to be heresy today. And no emotional opinions or twisting scripture will ever change what has been established in God’s word. May your eyes be enlightened to the truth of God’s word and my posts. God bless you all.

Hi Pog

Yes, agree with Drew and Dick, a superb post. Where have you been hiding, sir? :smiley:

I think this is a crucial point, both for Universalism and for theodicy, although I would extend it to the existence of evil per se, as opposed to just death, Christ’s crucifixion and so on. (I also don’t believe the devil is a person, but that’s of no consequence.) The most common objection to Christianity is why is there so much suffering and pain in the world. ‘Orthodox’ Christian theology, in which God ‘reacts’ to the intrusion of sin into creation by sending Jesus as an atoning sacrifice, cannot answer this question, and does God a grave injustice - as if He could be ‘taken by surprise’ by any turn of events!

Clearly sin and death were *always *part of God’s ultimate plan to create a permanently ‘perfect’ world for us, His creatures, to live in, hence they must be in some senses ‘necessary’. Our own Dr Tom Talbott talks along these lines in The Inescapable Love of God, saying that true and lasting happiness, bliss, perfection, sinlessness - call it what you will - cannot simply be bestowed on us at birth - rather it must be attained, worked for, usually - perhaps always - through overcoming enmity, alienation, pain and suffering.

I find this philosophical justification for the existence of evil and suffering wholly convincing. And yet I still find myself constantly thiinking surely things didn’t have to be *this *bad; surely God could have worked it so we attained the beatific vision through a vale of tears, but not a vale of *utter misery *(for some) - the agonising, gut-churning pain of watching a loved one die, say.

I am convinced God does not create evil. I am also convinced that evil is, for reasons I do not fully understand, necessary. But does it really have to be so pervasive, so extreme?

You think and write with real perspicuity, pog. It’s great to have you here.

Peace and love

Johnny

Aaron. old top

It appears you will leave us as you joined us - talking out of your hat.

Where’s my ‘derisive snort’ smiley? :smiley:

Er, no it wasn’t.

Priceless, Aaron, priceless. The truth of God’s word and your posts! Because they are on a par, obviously.

God bless you too chum

Johnny

Johnny,
Don\'t forget to read my refutation to pog\'s suberb post above. LOL. God bless.

You said : Clearly sin and death were always part of God\\\'s ultimate plan to create a permanently \‘perfect\\\’ world for us,

Not true. God\\\'s ultimate plan was established in Gen 1 & 2. Sin and death were never part of His original plan. Do you see any sin and death in Gen 1 & 2? God already had a permanently perfect world before the fall. God just cleaned up Adam\\\'s free will choice mess and makes provision for all humanity and creation to be restored back to Him through Jesus.That was God\\\'s back up plan, Johnny…not His original plan. Hint: the part of the risk God took by creating man with free was He knew not all would choose Him. God created free will in man so they can choose what they want and be accountable for those choices as free will is displayed in John 3:19.

I’m pretty sure I don’t deserve some of the praise here, my theology is nowhere near as worked out or complete as it could/should be, but thanks anyway :slight_smile:

No; and quite *an emphatic no *(else my discussions with AUniversalist on another thread are pointless).

God never willed evil; never willed death; *never *willed suffering. To will such things, and even more to create such things, would mean that you were morally ambiguous, even evil. I know that some theodices develop the idea that a certain amount of chaos/death/potential for suffering was necessary but I reject that idea in preference to the idea that God is utterly good, that His plan was utterly good, and that His perfect will was for all free creatures to enjoy a universe free from evil. Original creation (whether you take that as Adam and Eve, or like me believe in a pre-human world including millions of years of evolution and an angelic fall) was good, and free, but contained the possibility of fall - though no individual had to fall (their choice, not God’s). Even then, to *allow the possibility *would have been evil IF there was *any other option available *to God that would allow His plan of incomprable good to come to fruition. Obviously, there wasn’t.

Yet, once death and suffering had entered the universe another means for God to reveal His character of love was opened up - the way of sacrifice for an enemy; the way healing; the way of redemption; the way of forgiveness. It is this form of revelation which leads to the full persuasion of free willed beings, but as is obvious, you cannot have sacrifice without suffering, you cannot have victory over an enemy without conflict, you cannot have healing and restoration without estrangement. God never willed or created these things, but having once entered into His good creation God was free to use them, to subvert them, against their very creators - had the principalities and powers knew what they were doing they wouldn’t have crucified the Lord of Glory. God uses the very weapons of the devil to defeat the devil.

Just to re-iterate: God created all good; free willed beings could have chosen to always and continually choose God; they didn’t, but this rejection of God gave God the very tools to rescue them by demonstrating an even greater layer of mercy: where sin abounded grace all the more abounded!

I agree - which is why I believe I’ve said something different. An atonement of epistemic collapse, a closing of the distance between man and God. It’s not perfect, it has holes, but it doesn’t attribute the origin of evil to God.

Johnny:

He tried: this misery isn’t necessary, it’s gratuitous - the totally unessecary result of free willed beings abusing their God-given freedom. If I stab Bob there is no overarching reason for that, God didn’t want that, God didn’t will that - He only willed my freedom. That I used my freedom badly is my responsibility entirely. God works to defeat evil! Of course, this only sort of works with a mix of cosmic warfare theodicy, angelic fall theory and an open view of the future … :slight_smile:

Pog,

God already had a permanently perfect world before the fall. God just cleaned up Adam\'s free will choice mess and makes provision for all humanity and creation to be restored back to Him through Jesus.That was God’s back up plan, Pog…not His original plan.

I think you’re misunderstanding me, Aaron.

Whether or not we take the ‘original’ situation as Adam/Eve or pre-human angel we are AGREED that the original situation was* GOOD*. :slight_smile:

I also agree that this was/is God’s first, and indeed, ONLY plan: as I said before, God’s plan is a good universe, full of free-willed creatures sharing in loving participation with God’s love - no suffering, no evil, no death, no hell, no lost ones - nothing bad at all.

But this original plan and original condition contained, by ethical and metaphysical necessity, the *possibility of evil *and *free-willed beings who could reject God’s plan and introduce evil, death, suffering etc into God’s good *original creation. Not by God’s will, nor His plan, but by *their own self-determining powers *- which God had lovingly given them.

God hoped that they would not abuse their freedom: *it was a very real possibility *(and perhaps even likely, though that’s a bit more difficult to argue) that they would NEVER fall. Since God had bound Himself to time and to consequence, and since the future cannot be exhaustively known by God (free will is just that) *He was not evil *in creating a world with this possibility - especially since He always retained within Himself, within His knowledge, the means to restore the universe and restore His original plan, should the unwilled fall ever occur.

The means of salvation, hidden from the foundation of the world, was Christ crucified - the ultimate revelation of love. God couldn’t have revealed the depths of His love in any other (non-coercive) manner. After the fall (angelic or human) God worked, in time and in participation (the nature of love) with free-willed beings, to implement this now open means to bring the universe and all within it back to the *original plan *of incomparable good - and, because of this new depth of revelation, *ensure not only universalism whilst retaining freedom *(persuasion not coercion) but also keep freedom whilst preventing another fall.

God is clever like that.

Pog said: The means of salvation, hidden from the foundation of the world, was Christ crucified - the ultimate revelation of love. God couldn’t have revealed the depths of His love in any other (non-coercive) manner.

Aaron response: I was following you right up to here. God couldn’t reveal the depths of His love in a perfect universe in spiritual harmony with perfect man? I beg to differ, Pog. Our finite minds cannot comprehend the spiritual bliss Adam and Eve experienced with God prior to the fall. Their offspring would of experienced the same thing.

It comes down to this, Pog. God knew the risk creating humanity with the ability to choose and he also knew that a large number of people would not choose him and reject him as the result of that risk. God knew not all will choose Him otherwise he would of created us without free-will. Hint: the part of the risk God took and accepted before he created humanity.

John 3:19 "And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

God honoring free will choice in the world as he did with Adam and Lucipher and the fallen angels who followed him.

Jason Pratt,

As I told Pog and Johnny: God knew the risk creating humanity with the ability to choose and he also knew that a large number of people would not choose him and reject him as the result of that risk. God knew not all will choose Him otherwise he would of created us without free-will. Hint: the part of the risk God took and accepted before he created humanity therefore making UR theology false and impossible and never in the original plan of God.

Clearly more lies, because you continue to do so, quite comfortably by all appearances.

Only one lie there. :wink:

:exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: http://www.wargamer.com/forums/smiley/feedtroll.gif :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Aaron Curry was banned for a year back on Jan 15. His ban was not going to be lifted until Jan 15, 2013, and then only if he met certain criteria by providing acceptable samples of his behavior on other forums in the meanwhile. His ban has not been lifted.

Even if he had been telling the truth about accidentally thinking his ban had been lifted early without anyone telling him (and the evidence indicates he was not telling the truth about that), he has repeatedly and very intentionally continued violating his ongoing ban in this thread.

Had he simply reregistered with a new username (which had been banned by RevDrew but not the email or ip address) and emailed me a copy of his original post and reply to Cindy (which had been deleted by RevDrew because, logically, AARON WAS STILL BANNED AND NOT ALLOWED TO POST), I would have posted those for him. I even went to the trouble of explaining that even when he tried to sneak back on forum in the past we let his attempts to do so stand, although of course we still kept the ban in effect by rebanning his new accounts.

That’s freakishly charitable. No other forum I know of would allow a banned member’s attempt at getting around a ban stand for commentary. Their posts would be deleted along with any new thread they tried to create. Which of course is why RevDrew, following entirely normal and logical moderator protocols elsewhere, deleted AC’s original post and first reply to Cindy.

But since in the past we’ve allowed his attempts to get back on around a ban to stand for commentary, I was willing to let this attempt stand too (without lifting the ban). I couldn’t invite him to resend the material privately, because that would be going directly against THE WHOLE POINT OF BANNING SOMEONE (thus going against my own ad/mod team).

As it happens he did email that material to me privately. No more than one minute before he went ahead and posted it himself anyway.

Even then I was willing to let it stand–but that doesn’t mean the ban was lifted. So logically I rebanned his account. (Or one of the other ad/mods beat me to it, I don’t recall right now.)

Yes, that means people could comment on his post while he couldn’t reply. If he didn’t want that, he shouldn’t have posted them up while he was still banned. EVEN SO I tried to shield him a little by reminding members that it wouldn’t be fair to challenge him personally while he couldn’t reply, nor to think he had been scared off by a strength of reply.

But he keeps on re-registering under new emails and new ip addresses.

EVEN WHEN HIS NEW ACCOUNT HADN’T BEEN REBANNED YET and he SPECIFICALLY SAID HE WOULDN’T POST AGAIN UNLESS HE WAS UN-BANNED, he has kept on post.

That is outright internet troll behavior.

So: before last night, due to his flagrantly impenitent persistence, Aaron had already lost permission to reapply in mid-Jan 2013, and had already lost permission to reapply at any scheduled time, and had already lost permission to reapply at all, as well as lost any protection a few of the ad/mods (specifically me) were willing to grant him.

Henceforth he will be treated as a spammer, since he insists on acting that way, and any new posts will be outright deleted (as well as his accounts rebanned).

Members should be warned that attempts to reply to new posts from him will probably also be deleted. You may comment on, and reply to him, on posts he has already made, here or on other threads, but not on further posts from him.

(This ruling may be modified by a quorum ad/mod agreement later, after we’ve discussed whether it’s too harsh.)