The Evangelical Universalist Forum

In the beginning

Thank you Tom.

John 1 says that “without Him nothing was mad that was made,” but that seems (to me) to leave “what was made” an open question.

I’m more interested in examining what we can validly deduce from Col. 1.

What’s meant by “all,” “the all,” or “all things” there.

I’d also like to know if any of the “alls” specified {i.e. thrones, dominions, etc.) are feminine in gender.

If you could help me with this, I’d be extremely grateful.

I could go in to personal reasons for feeling the burden of proof is on me here, but I’d rather not.

I’d like to know if you can help me prove (from our scriptures, to my own satisfaction) that personal spiritual entities couldn’t have been procreated by The Father and some Female Deity, without the direct creative participation of Christ (or The Logos), and that no Female Deity could have existed prior to (and independent of) Christ (or the Logos.)

I think there are passages in the New Testament (having to do with “all,” perhaps some I’ve overlooked here) that could do that, but I need help.

Michael: John 1 says that “without Him nothing was made that was made,” but that seems (to me) to leave “what was made” an open question.

Tom: Within the specifics of the passage, it does. So what are your options? Whatever exists either (a) exists necessarily (and never came into existence) or (b) came into existence. Jo 1 and Col 1 make it explicit (will you agree?) that whatever fits into the latter category was brought into existence by the creative agency and will of God. So that leaves us (a), viz., non-divine entities or beings that exist necessarily (i.e., they’re not God and they were never brought into being by God). As a Christian, what would you suggest are possibilities for this latter category? Non-divine beings that exist necessarily outside the agency of God? I’d go on, but you said you don’t want to talk about process issues.

Michael: I’m more interested in examining what we can validly deduce from Col. 1. What’s meant by “all,” “the all,” or “all things” there.

Tom: I think the “all” means everything that exists which isn’t God. So it would be inclusive of both (a) and (b) above. All that exists derives its existence from God.

Michael: I’d also like to know if any of the “alls” specified {i.e. thrones, dominions, etc.) are feminine in gender. I could go in to personal reasons for feeling the burden of proof is on me here, but I’d rather not.

Tom: Those reasons would be by far the more crucial issue. You may need to share them if you want clarity here.

Michael: I’d like to know if you can help me prove (from our scriptures, to my own satisfaction) that personal spiritual entities couldn’t have been procreated by The Father and some Female Deity, without the direct creative participation of Christ (or The Logos), and that no Female Deity could have existed prior to (and independent of) Christ (or the Logos.)

Tom: Who are you letting inside your head, Michael? The difficulty with trying to find explicit proof within the Christian scriptures of the impossibility of some non-Christian claims is that some of those claims can be pulled out of a hat. They’re not going to turn up in the Bible in any shape or form. If you concede the ground to such claims and take the burden of producing explicit proof upon yourself, you’ll dig yourself into a hole out of which there is no escape. In other words, if you have to find e-x-p-l-i-c-i-t proof in the Bible that the Father didn’t procreate a race of spiritual beings with some female deity outside the agency of the Logos (OR ELSE concede the existence of such a race of beings) then you’re screwed.

Female deities as procreative agents alongside the Father independently of the Father’s own Logos? Where is this female deity supposed to have come from? Who created her? Does she exist necessarily? If not, how is she divine? If so, where the he** is the evidence for her existence? It WOULD help if you identify the sources of these issues. Otherwise, you’re asking us to help you shoot and score a bull’s eye in the dark.

Sounds like you need a serious worldview overhaul and not a few pat answers to quote from the Bible. I mean, if you’re struggling to answer whether or not the Father procreated a race of beings with some female deity independently of the Logos, then you’re in serious trouble Michael. I say this in love and concern. Find a discipleship program, commit to it, dig your heels in and get grounded.

For the record, the creation of “all that exists" apart from God occurs via the agency of the Son (Col. 1). That’s Paul’s vision. But your opponents who are seducing you won’t buy it. Anybody who can pull a female deity out of a rabbit’s hat and convince you that the burden of disproving such rubbish is on YOU isn’t likely to be disuaded by Col. 1. They have some serious sophistry going on.

Tom

Col. 1.16ff. By him were all things [neuter] created, things [neuter] that are in heaven, that [neuter] are in earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones [masculine], or dominions [feminine], or principalities [feminine], or powers [feminine]: all things [neuter] were created by him and for him.

Thank you Tom.

You were more help than you realize here.

P.S. I forgot Romans 11:33-36, and I think it’s highly relevant here.

It seems to me that All (Greek, “each,” “every”) being “of,” “through,” and “to” God takes us back to Him as the absolute beginning, and supports creation ex-nihlo (at least in the sense of creation being out of “nothing” independent of God, which I think is what “creation ex-nihlo” really means.)

If you (or anyone here) can add to the evidence here, please let me know.

Thank you.

Just wondering, Michael, why the gender of those words is so important to you. It seems to me their gender would have significance only if these words indicated persons. I see no reason to suppose that they do.

Exactly, Paidion. The gender here is *grammatical, not physiological or even psychological. These aren’t “female” principalities or “female” powers. They are likely *sentient beings (assuming they’re angelic beings of some sort; who knows?). But we can’t derive physiological or psychological sexuality or the presence of genitalia from their *grammatical form in one particular language.

Tom

I am guessing I am on ignore by some. lol.

I’m tracking ya Student. You mentioned Col. 1 earlier. I think that’s all Michael needs. I’m not sure why he think the grammatical gender of the nouns in the passage addresses his needs.

Tom

But could we rightly derive the all inclussiveness of the neuter “stuff” and sentient beings spoken of here?

Can we rightly conclude from this passage that any non-God substances or entities that exist (of any gender, or lacking gender) were brought into exitence by God through Christ?

And what about Romans 11:33-36?

Couldn’t we conclude from these verses that God didn’t use any independently pre-existing building blocks, laws, processes, or partner in creating this universe, that there are no universes He didn’t create, and that He didn’t need anything outside of Himself to create sentient beings?

Sounds sensible to me.

Thank you.

We can. In fact, the “thrones, dominions, principalities and powers” (all but one are grammatically feminine) are an explicit subset of the openning “all things” (which is neuter):

*For by him (Christ) ALL THINGS were created:
-that are in heaven
-that are in earth
-that are visible
-that are invisible
-WHETHER thrones, dominions, etc.
*By him ALL THINGS were created.

There’s no doubt that thrones, dominions, et. al., are all specific instances of the neuter “all things” given as an example of them. “All things” is all-inclusive (excluding Christ, of course, for he is that BY WHOM all things are created).

Tom

Bingo.

Thank you both.

But is it true that wherever “bara” is used, God is always the subject?

The Hebrew Bible is a big book(composed by many human authors over a long period of time), and if that’s true it would seem to have some divine significance.

Romans 4:17 is also interesting.

God, who gives life to the dead and calls into being that which does not exist. (New American Standard Version.)

Could that be speaking of creation ex-nihilo?

Here’s another passage that might be relevant here.

Lord, You are worthy to receive the glory and the honor and the power, because You created the all, and through Your will they exist and were created. (Rev. 4:11.)