Is everything a non-Christian does sin?

From the Formula of Concord:

What are your thoughts?

Gives me a pain. Makes me want to put my head between the door and body of a '57 Chevy and just bang away, that kind of pain.

I’ve had the mindset described in the quoted piece - and thank God I don’t have it anymore. But, I’ve learned that it is not something I can try to reason anyone out of, so I won’t try.

Christian Love is the only credible thing we can offer to the world.

There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek, 10 but glory and honor and peace to everyone who does good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 11 For there is no partiality with God.

12 For all who have sinned without the Law will also perish without the Law, and all who have sinned under the Law will be judged by the Law; 13 for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified. 14 For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, 15 in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, 16 on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus.

Those who try to make Christianity about church membership and doctrine need to go back and read the parable of the Good Samaritan. I think there are some Christians who dont know it, and some who think they are but arent, and God knows the secrets of every heart- while man looks on the outward appearance and seeks to categorize by knowledge and doctrine… God looks on the heart and “the Lord knows those that are His.”

** Only because you asked… what a load of religious twaddle and self-righteous rot!**

I believe people around the world especially the mystics experience faith and union with Christ even if they aren’t aware of it or call Him Christ. Of course there’s the tendency to take the glory for your good deeds if the glory isn’t given away. That’s why faith is important to me. I keep my glory by giving it away. The glory of the creature is in humility. Not that I’m perfect but I have more humility than I use to. It’s a letting go and letting God have control. You get out of the head and in the heart. As they say in A.A.:

We will intuitively know how to handle situations that use to baffle us.

There are non-Christians who have sacrificed their lives to save the lives of others. Did they sin in doing so?

I live in the backwoods of Ontario, and I need firewood through the winter. This winter, I brought up very little from the bush (I am nearly 79), and so I bought most of it. I bought and paid for 3 cords from a man who affirmed, “I’m not religious at all!” He had loaded the wood onto his rack with a front-end loader. At the time he brought it, he had severe lower back pain, and so couldn’t unload it by hand. He left the rack at my place until a couple of days later after I got help to unload it. I thought I would check the quantity while it was on the rack. I measured the wood and calculated that it was actually 4½ cords. I thought perhaps he had made a mistake. So when he came for the empty rack, I told him that I had measured it and found it to be 4½ cords whereas I paid him for only 3. He just smiled and said, “I’m glad you’re satisfied!” Was the man sinning by bringing me half as much more wood than I paid for and not charging me?

My understanding of sin is very simple—those acts that harm other people and/or oneself.

The opposite of sin is LOVE. I’m not talking about emotional feelings of fondness (φιλια). Rather I am talking about practical love such as that to which John referred in 1 John (αγαπη)—the LOVE that is action. Such LOVE consists of those acts that help other people and/or oneself.

I agree Paidion. Acts of service are important. As Bill Wilson says:

We no longer seek fame and honor in order to be praised…We try to be humbly grateful and exert ourselves the more in a spirit of love and service. True leadership, we find, depends upon able example and not upon vain displays of power or glory. - Bill Wilson of Alcoholics Anonymous

As for feelings of fondness I had those today as I did my daily meditating. It was a wonder as I walked around the outside track at the gym looking around and the beautiful ponds ducks, fountains, Christmas trees and sunset. I could feel the beauty of God purifying my mind.