The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Is gambling a sin? How about blackjack card counting?

What is your definition of sin Chad? Or do you deny that there is such a thing?

Interesting, most definitions of sin would say that either you are missing the mark :roll_eyes: or that you are not doing what other people told you to do. Stupid crap. Every person will have a different idea of what sin is and really, that is the big elephant in the room. But good luck if you want to continue to put down folks. Don you gotta start to see the light.

In what way am I “putting down” folks? All I’ve done is define “sin” as “doing that which harms others or yourself.” I think it’s the most accurate definition.

I cannot imagine why you think I’m “putting down folks” unless you yourself are doing things that harm others or yourself, and thereby think that I’m “putting you down.”

Simple question, what are you saying?

I don’t understand why you are asking me this “simple question”?

What I am saying, I said very clearly my post (that you quoted above)—in about as simple and straightforward manner as possible.

Now tell us what you are saying when you accuse me of “putting down folks.”

I appreciate your way around words, but I asked you and I say in my defense that you used the post to kind of side track the original idea of the post… There is no sin in gambling. You want to fart around but this is the basic conundrum.

Good luck to you! Cheers.

We need a theme song, for this thread! :wink:

I had no notion of sidetrackin’ nuthin.

The title of the original thread was NOT “There is no sin in gambling.” That is your statement.
The title of the thread asked this question, “Is gambling a sin?” You didn’t answer the question with any justification. You simply stated your view.

What I did was present a test to determine whether or not an act is sin. I did this to help people decide for themselves whether or not gambling is a sin. But rather than using the test for that, you simply pronounced gambline as not a sin, and then attacked me for suggesting a test for sin.

Again, the test is that any act is a sin that harms other people or yourself.

Gambling has harmed many people. Some people get hooked on it, and then lose vast sums of money—money that was need for family use. Other people get so furious over losing, that they have harmed their opponents or even killed them.

You may say that gambling was not the problem, that there was a problem with the persons themselves who couldn’t handle gambling properly. Whether this is true or not, the fact remains that those evils may not have occurred if those persons had not indulged in gambling.

Wow, sorry Don. People get hooked on many things. You do seem to be positioned in a way that promotes no gambling whatsoever. I understand, I have been around folks that there is no dirinkin’ dancin’ or gamblin’ and they were adamant. And so it is for them. Gambling or even ‘card playing’ by some stout baptists, is sin deluxe.

Let 'em have some fun, let people experience life, if good is in them it will shine through. Come on Don, loosen up a bit.