The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Is the purpose of our existence to worship God?

I’ve heard some Christians (generally Calvinists) say something to the effect of the purpose of our existence is to worship God. I hope this doesn’t sound blasphemous, but I find such a premise disturbing. It seems narcissistic to create beings to worship oneself. Why did God create us?

I don’t have any great insights on that, qaz. I do feel that ‘worship’ of God can be done in all that we do, not ‘just’ admiring God - though truth be told, I can’t wait to do just that, to be in His presence, to share that Presence with people that I will see and understand and love as we are overwhelmed in the presence of the Creator, the fountain of all joy and truth and love. I can’t think of anything more wonderful. I get happy just thinking about it. All shall be well.
Then whatever He has planned for us, as we are free from the fear of death, will not be drudgery but joy.
I think the vocabulary of ‘heaven’ will be love joy peace patience gentleness goodness and other such words. We know those things in a miniscule measure now, if we are fortunate, but sporadically. To live infused with those things, free of fear or failure, will be worship indeed.

Even though I disagreed with J Richard Middleton’s thesis, I loved what he said about our purpose: We were created to work.

1 Like

I’ve long preferred understanding the reality of God as so secure that it’s not like God would need our bouquets or affirmation. Acts 17:25 says that it’s not “as if He needed anything.” Thus I can trust that God is in a position to give, but has no desperate need to use me up.

But OTOH, if God is Love and epitomizes Goodness, then we might assume that God joyfully creates in order to securely share that goodness beyond Himself. And I find that when I praise or magnify to others something that I really dig, I then enjoy that blessing even more.

2 Likes

Good point bringing up this verse. I’m still not sure what you think our purpose is, though.

@davo what do you think is the purpose of our existence?

I sense the implication would be to share in the joy of Goodness and relationship.

That’s a fairly broad question. I’d say one purpose would be to… dress, till and keep the earth.

There are many answers - philosophically and theologically - to the forum question. This Wiki article will highlight some.

The non-denominational site - Got Questions - has an answer

For me, one answer is to warn everyone…of the up and coming tribulation and Z-Hell (1, 2, 3)

That’s fairly good though I’d say that a 21st century view of it would be that the purpose is to help the creator create something of marvel… Art and building and creation are wondrous. God wants that from us. Not stagnation and living in the past. God loves boldness and inventive thoughts. Initiative and forward thinking.

Thats my thoughts and I’m sticken to em.

There are many purposes. The main one is to worship YourSelf. We fall in love with our true selves like a mother falls in love with her baby. I have been crucified with Christ. It’s no longer I who lives but Christ lives within me (Col. 3:3). I put on the new self having been created according to God in righteousness and holiness of truth. (Eph. 4:24). It’s more like a peeling away of an onion until I get down to the core me or the true loving and compassionate me. That’s the me I love. The one united to Christ. The false me is that egotistical mean spirited person driven by a hundred forms of unhealthy fear and self-delusion.

I have forgotten all of Creation
Only the Creator remains
I have turned my attention
to that which is within me
It is there where I am in love
with the Beloved

St. John of the Cross ~~ Roman Catholic

I Am In Love With Love

I am in love with love
love is in love with me
my body fell in love
with my soul
and my soul fell in love
with me
we take turns in loving
we take turns in being loved

Rumi

When I turn my focus inward and on me and God I can be quite happy. Sitting around worrying about the rest of the world can steal my peace and joy. The idea is to love those in your own particular area you are called to. Love your loved ones, yourself, and God. Like we learned in A.A. we take care of ourselves first. People have criticized A.A. in this respect as being a “selfish” program. Is that a bad thing? Is taking care of myself first bad? Bill Wilson tells us in “As Bill Sees it”:

“Selfish”?

I can see why you are disturbed to hear some A.A. speakers say, A.A. is a selfish program. The word selfish ordinarily implies that one is acquisitive, demanding, and thoughtless of the welfare of others. Of course, the A.A. way of life does not at all imply such undesirable traits.

What do these speakers mean? Well, any theologian will tell you that the salvation of his own soul is the highest vocation that a man can have. Without salvation - however we might define this - he will have little or nothing. For us of A.A., there is even more urgency.

If we cannot or will not achieve sobriety, then we become truly lost, right in the here and now. We are of no value to anyone, including ourselves, until we find salvation from alcohol. Therefore, our own recovery and spiritual growth have to come first - a right and necessary kind of self concern.

We live after the return of Christ in 70 A.D. when all has been completed. We live in a new covenant era. The sacrificial system has been fulfilled and done away with. The destruction of the temple in 70 A.D. did away with the sacrificial system. The body is the new Temple where we worship Christ. Worship is to fall in love and put Christ first. Hence we nourish ourselves and take care of ourselves first.

1 Like