The Evangelical Universalist Forum

It's not dark yet, but it's getting there

Ah, yes, geeky fandom. You’re right, very therapeutic :smiley: .

I could talk for hours about the great Universal horror movies. And I’d love to have seen Lugosi’s original screen test for the part of the Monster, directed by Frenchman Robert Florey. As far as I know the footage is now lost, and no still photographs of it exist. What might have been, eh?

Still, I think James Whale and Boris Karloff did a fantastic job in the two Frankenstein movies they did together. Or was it three, I’m trying to remember if Whale directed Son of Frankenstein as well? (Yeah, I know I can look it up on IMDB, but that’s cheating :smiley: .) No, I’m sure he didn’t, but can’t remember who did. Rowland V Lee was it? That’s going to bug me all night now, but I’m jolly well not going to look it up!

Are you big on Hammer, Jason? When I was a kid we used to have these double-bills on late Saturday night TV. There would be a black and white Universal Classic, followed by a ‘modern’ horror, usually either Hammer or Amicus, and usually starring either Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing or Vincent Price, or any combination of the three :smiley: . I am an uber Hammer geek. One of the proudest moments of my life was interviewing Sir Christopher Lee when I used to work for a PR company in the 90s. I’ve even been on a pilgrimage to Peter Cushing’s house by the seaside in Whitstable, Kent. Ah happy days.

I used to love ‘horror films’, but the genre has been ruined today by excessive and sadistic gore and violence. There’s no skill or artistry in offensive rubbish like Hostel or the Saw franchise.

So, here’s to a new world of gods and monsters!

J

Why be afraid? What’s the difference between death and that state of sleep when you don’t dream? If death exists, you don’t. If you exist, death doesn’t. Only when you think about it do you have fear (or relief).

This old country song gives me inspiration to face death

And on a more serious note

I find relief that death is not a punishment for something that I have done wrong. It happens to everyone. We are all in this together. I love everyone’s responses on here. I am comforted by everyone’s assurance of the gospel in light of the darkness of the world.