The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Jesus Commanded Non-Resistance

I have no idea if the Christ would do the same, but by God I would!!

2 Likes

Dave, who is advocating that you do nothing? Jesus was talking about physical resistance.

I knew a woman whom a man was about to rape. She offered no physical resistance, but she didnā€™t do nothing! She began to speak to him about the love of Jesus and what He meant to her. The man turned around and walked away.

What keeps happening in response to my case for the meaning of Jesusā€™ words, is asking if such implications fit my own human instincts (or even if Jesus would live up to that standard). For as MM consistently puts it, what Jesus meant or would do is beside the point, as to what he ā€˜by Godā€™ would do (thatā€™s coherent and fair).

But none of such passionate appeals are relevant to addressing my academic Bible backgroundā€™s curiosity as to what Jesusā€™ language probably connoted in itsā€™ historical context. Only engaging the content of that would help me rethink my impression of that.

Ok fair enough. I donā€™t know where Don will come down on this. I of course applaud all efforts to understand what Jesus was about and what it means for us.

Fair enough. I understand.:+1:

And thatā€™s the rub right there IMO. Jesusā€™ so-called ā€˜sermon on the mountā€™ was NOT him articulating timeless principles for time immemorial, BUT rather, him speaking to the heart attitude of his own people, that if harkened to would work better for their preservation under the occupying Roman forcesā€¦ that as opposed to what had become pretty much standard fair with the insurgent Zealots or Sicarii and Co. where running a Roman though with their dagger was viewed as true and effective patriotism.

Now IF one wants to imbibe of Jesusā€™ words from that particular context (as one personally understand them) there is nothing wrong with that at allā€¦ BUT Jesusā€™ words from that given context have NOTHING to do with what might constitute a so-called ā€œtrue Christianā€ ā€” Jesus wasnā€™t a Christian he was a Jew, as was his audience, i.e., historical context.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œdavo, post:46, topic:14483, full:trueā€]

I doubt agreeing with this leads to an either/or about whether anything Jesus taught or what portion is still relevant to his followers today. While I agree Jesusā€™ words should be understood in light of their context, my assumption is that Jesusā€™ addressing of that audience was influenced by his sense of Godā€™s values and nature, and that speaking to their dayā€™s ā€œheart attitudeā€ can be illuminating for issues of my own heart and life.

Indeed, my sense is that first century followers collated the words in the sermon on the mount, not just for readersā€™ historical appreciation of the past, but as a bit of an instruction manual for Jew and Gentile believers that were flooding into the church and could benefit from such a resource. Of course, our differences on the nature of that dayā€™s movement, on dating NT books, etc parallels some differing instincts on how to interpret and how to apply the Gospel accountsā€™ relevance in a later day.

Iā€™m not sure if Jesus taught pacifism at all costs, Jesus spoke about slaps on the face, not deadly violence, Jesus didnā€™t say you have to get you slaughtered by thugs, the Old Testament approves even deadly self defence, so self defence cannot be generally wrong.

Also it is different if you do not fight in a war where your enemy are mere soldiers who do not harm on their own intent or if you have to deal with criminals that would kill you for no reason.

For the record, hereā€™s the Got Questions take!

I think there last paragraph, is extremely important!

In short, personal pacifism should be the goal, to a large degree, of every follower of Christ. We are called to live in peace, as much as we are able to do so (Romans 1:18; Hebrews 12:14). We should be willing to turn the other cheek (Matthew 5:39), lend freely (Luke 6:30), and even be cheated if it means not dishonoring the name of Christ (1 Corinthians 6:7). When peace is an option, we should pursue it as far as it will go. But when the lives and liberties of others are threatened, a higher law draws us to their defense (Proverbs 24:11ā€“12; John 15:3). When a nation needs to defend itself from those who would destroy its peace, true peacemakers join forces to protect it.

1 Like

That is a good paragraph. The ā€œhigher lawā€ strikes me particularly, because Paidion has himself stated that he believes in moral hierarchy. I am confounded why he places this command above all others, as the pinacle of human morality.

If the greatest commandment toward others is to love them, how can the act of not defending them be called love? Love does no harm, so by omission of duty, one is not acting in love when they do not defend their neighbor with physical force, if necessary.

Paidion, your example of ā€œI once knew a womenā€¦ā€ Is really disturbing to me. It reaks of cult like abuse and victim blaming. I canā€™t even believe you would hold such a position, as to me it is immoral to the core.

1 Like

I said ā€œhyperboleā€ not ā€œfigurative speechā€ & that hyperbole is used to emphasize a point which i think is what Paul brought out ā€œto the extent possibleā€ live in peace. Also i was not referring to all of Jesus commands.

2 Likes

Exactly!

I find your premise unjustified. The OT approves slaughtering babies, selling oneā€™s daughter into slavery, polygamy, assassinating the unclean, those who did any work on Saturdays, an adultereress, disobedient children, etc. And Jesusā€™ central scandal to OT experts was that he violated plain OT teachings and would quote it, and then say, ā€œBut I say (differently).ā€

Jesusā€™ outlook should be determined based on what themes he spells out, not by what the OT says.

1 Like

Iā€™m not seeing anything ā€œhyperbolicā€ in Paulā€™s words about seeking peace in our relationships with others. It just appears to be a realistic statement that such efforts will not always result in reconciliation, since it takes both sides. So arguing that Paul is implying that where our efforts at reconciliation fails, deadly force is then justified, seems far fetched.

I see no evidence that he is thinking anything but that we must accept living in an imperfect world where our best efforts will not now produce the reconciliation we seek (and trust Godā€™s promise that all things will one day be reconciled under him as in Colossians 1).

If John 15:3 shows that Jesus asserts deadly force is a higher law taking precedence when liberties are threatened, itā€™s very relevant to Jesusā€™ view on this. But Iā€™m lost, how does it show that?

I was arguing Jesus used hyperbole in turning the other cheek etc because Paul qualified Jesus statement by saying ā€œto the extent possible.ā€

Thanks!, I see no evidence that Paul is even commenting on Jesusā€™ words (which I agree is a hyperbolic example; even Jesus didnā€™t turn his cheek when struck at his trial). Itā€™s hyperbolic because the only response to evil is not to literally turn the cheek, but sometimes to directly challenge evil, as Jesus often did. But reading in that Jesus or Paul is thus saying that deadly force is the remedy they intend to be approving when accepting perverse treatment doesnā€™t bring repentance strikes me as quite eisegetic.

The question was originally concerning this:

Tolstoi took that all the way - though Iā€™m not sure that he had to actually follow through on it - was he ever in the extreme situation of protecting an innocent from evil - murderous evil? I donā€™t know.
The rest of us want to mitigate that verse to one extent or the other, by using euphemisms - ā€˜pervertā€™ instead of ā€˜evilā€™ - ā€˜confrontā€™ instead of ā€˜do not resistā€™ - ā€˜we donā€™t know what Jesus would do in such a situation (Mary being raped)ā€™ instead of ā€˜we really donā€™t know if Jesus meant what he said or notā€™ - etc.
And all of us ā€˜wimp outā€™ - if thatā€™s what it is - when it comes to what we would really do.
Why? Because we are sinners who hate what Jesus said; or because we are men who share with mankind the empathy to protect innocence from evil - with proportionate response; or because we are not at all certain what Jesus meant, when and to whom?
Yay for those that eschew violence in any form - which is the ideal - we rest easy, because there are people protecting us. We can have ideals, because we have a safe space to have them. Life is cheap and fragile in this world; to protect it is to value it.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure about that chapter and verse, myself. But they (AKA Got Questions) quote (Proverbs 24:11ā€“12; John 15:3 ). Proverbs is a bit, clearer to me.

But they do have a couple, of other related Q and A:

Itā€™s interesting that the Got Questions sentiments are also found in the Kung Fu TV series. Where Caine always reflects on peace firstā€¦But is an expert in Kung Fu. Perhaps he should have served the gunman and his ā€œboysā€, a cup of tea instead - in this video! :wink:

Amen it is to who it is :roll_eyes: