The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Joe: Universalism - Whether to draw the line?

1. About Matt. 12:32. Talbott does a great job of explaining that there are some sins that are forgiveable and then there are other ones, like denying the holy spirit, that are more problematical and stand in the way of reconciliation so need to be dealt with more severely. Of course, even if it’s not forgiveable here and not in the age to come it doesn’t imply that under different circumstances God isn’t able to forgive or doesn’t want to.

2. Hebrews 6:4 : Is it even possible for Calvinists that God called someone and then they fall away? Why would God call someone to really experience Him and then not continue that? It would seem weird of their understanding, right?

I don’t know how God works, why some seem more hardened than others? I also don’t understand God’s timing of things - why some come to repent sooner than others? I’m more sure that God really loves all, desires they repent, and is able to effectively make that happen. Don’t Calvinists also assert that for God nothing is impossible, that if someone believes, experiences God, that it’s because of his grace? Then, how in their view, could it ever be impossible for anyone to not return to God, if that’s what he had purposed? I guess they just figure God didn’t elect that person.

3.2 Thess. 1:8 doesn’t have the verb shut out, but rather “of.” It’s curious that it’s translated shut out. Other texts may suggest that there is a separation of a kind like the sheep and the goats. It’s interesting that people make so much of the words shut out, as if it proves something, when this is not really what the original words say.

I think how people understand “aionios” is critical. I sense this conversation is needed and coming.

He seems especially hung up with the notion that saying eternal means in the age to come, not endless, limits not only hell’s duration, but also heaven’s. I do believe this is also discussed in Talbott and/or Parry’s books.

I found difficulty with a few of his statements:

I’m not sure how sin is any less serious in our view. This seems like a characterization to me. We would agree that sin is deserving of punishment, but for a purpose. In our view God is so unhappy with sin that he effectively seeks to eradicate it and address every man’s heart. We don’t have a decreased view of sin, but we do have an increased view of the love of God.

The whole concept of justice is a great discussion too. I recently read Talbott’s article on justice and was so persuaded that justice isn’t served in punishment alone, but when there is restoration. This sense of justice makes so much more sense of a God that is consistently both love and justice.

It’s a nice thought that we’d all read our bibles and comes to our own conclusions solely from the text. But who of us is not strongly influenced by our teachers and a particular paradigm or understanding? Calvinists strike me as stuck in their paradigm of what punishment can and cannot be.
Take this for example:

Why does he pit punishment against God’s spirit? Doesn’t punishment ever correct? In so far as punishment ever serves to correct us, bring us to repentance, isn’t it doing the spirit’s bidding? Couldn’t punishment be a tool of God’s spirit? Could it be that his paradigm of punishment, as solely retributive, doesn’t allow him to make this connection? Sometimes it seems like we aren’t asking the right questions and are assuming wrong things, like that God is solely concerned with a justice that gets what is deserved. As parents we want not just for our kids to get what they deserve, but for them to turn from the error of their ways! This is our focus. I suppose the Calvinist is not beyond seeing this too? It just comes down to who does God love in a saving way?

I think he may be more accurate about our view in this statement…

Isn’t our view that God’s mercy, in desiring people’s repentance, values any step necessary for it, like wrath? I’ve heard it said that God’s justice and mercy are two sides of the same coin, united in purpose. It would seem the blogger has some grasp of our view, right?

I’m also learning right along with you, Alex. I hope I made some sense here. It’s so late and I lost my first email in taking too long to write it. I’m enjoying following your discussion and, hopefully, will learn from it too. It’s so hard to get anyone to dialogue so this great that we can experience your discussion along with you. :smiley:

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for better answers…

The Hebrews 6 ref I would answer in context of Heb 10 (among several other things in Hebrews), thus in context of Deut 32 (quoted in Heb 10), where the whole point to God’s wrath–even to the destruction of His enemies as far as they can be destroyed–is so that after they have been destroyed as far as possible they will repent and return to being loyal to God, after which God will restore them better than before.

But that’s more than a little complex, so I’m not sure how much help it would be.

As for the notion that X is described as eternal and so irreversible: I would adduce, among other things, Hebrews 6 to that! :mrgreen:

See, Heb 6 (and similar statements in chapters 4 and 10) talks about people who, even though the specific phrase isn’t used, are getting life eonian–there are other phrases being used which necessarily indicate this. Yet they’re going to be punished for falling away. Your respondent reads that as meaning they must not end up with life eonian after all! So, apparently “eonian” means irreversible only when talking about damnation, not about our salvation!

The same point can be made if your respondent acknowledges the existence of rebel angels. Do angels not have zoe eonian?? If loyal angels do not, that would be exceedingly bizarre (leaving aside the question of whether unfallen man originally had zoe eonian); but rebel angels used to be loyal angels. So do devils (deo-fols, foolish gods) still have eternal life? Or not? If not, then once again “eonian” apparently only has triumphant permanence for ultimate wickedness! This would point to an utterly different kind of theology than even supernaturalistic theism (much less trinitarian theism)–not to add that it sounds like the weakest and most backward kind of “gospel” ever imagined.

It’s an interesting discussion. I wonder if he’ll desire to open the discussion to others. And I always find it amazing that Protestants often appeal to the Catholic denunciation of UR, as if in some way recognizing the “authority” of the Catholic church to do so. Well, anyhow, I hope you have a good discussion with him. I’ve been asked to engage a discussion of UR on another site and plan to do so after the holidays. I’m hesitant to invite other URs to join the site and discussion because I don’t want to overwhelm them. Sometimes a little salt is more tolerable than a whole lot. Love is gentle and patient.

Sherman,
I was thinking along the same lines–too many people in the discussion, and it gets too cluttered and confusing. I’ve encountered that just in the little 3 person study my husband and I are doing with a pastor/friend.

I’m also following the conversation with interest, Alex. Your friend seems a good one to discuss with! His objections are pretty much the standard ones–nothing wrong with that–and he states them well and intelligently.

I have an answer for every normal objection–but that doesn’t mean the answer that satisfies me will satisfy everyone–and you’ve found the same I know–with Luke, for instance! But we all have One Teacher, and in the end we will be sure to come to the Truth.

Thanks for sharing, Alex!
Sonia

I should also add that just because I claim to have answers does not mean that my answers are the best and most true answers! And that my answers “satisfy” me on some level does not mean I’m fully satisfied on every level with my understanding whatever the issue at hand is! The more I delve into scripture, the more I realize just how deep the waters are!

And yet, the important thing still remains simple: Love! Without it all knowledge is worthless; if we have love it doesn’t matter how little knowledge we have: we are sure to grow into true knowledge.

Sonia

Thanks for all the awesome comments!

In an exciting turn of events, On the way to a big (in Tasmanian terms) Christian event last night, I decided I must tell my church friend Joe (the author of the blog I’ve been anonymously posting on) that it was me, but after the event so not to potentially ruin it for him! Obviously, I was nervous about how he would react :confused: Anyway, when I arrived, he coincidently (I think) met me at the door and we sat together. Another friend, Sam, who I had organised to meet up and discuss EU with, sat down on the other side of me. Very nervous, would Sam mention it in front of Joe :astonished: Fortunately, the event got underway. Funnily enough the first few songs felt, at least to me, to be really promoting UR! :sunglasses: Anyway, the event went really well. At the end Joe turns to me and says, “What should I do is an anonymous person was posting on my blog and I knew who it was, but went a long with it?” :astonished: :astonished: I almost fell off my chair! I confessed it was indeed me and praise God he then burst into a smile and we both had a good laugh :smiley: We both had been loosing sleep over it and stressing about how the other person would react. Huge relief, now I can talk openly with him and invite him here.

Feeling really pumped, I then went over to my church leader and confessed to him too. He laughed and told me he and the other leaders had known for months!!! If it were possible, I was even more relieved! He’s also happy to read TEU :slight_smile:

On a roll, I went over to another church leader, who is high up in the Presbyterian church of Australia and told him too. He raised an eyebrow, but we had a great conversation and he ended up saying he wished it were true but couldn’t see the biblical evidence, however, he was keen to read TEU!

I than told another cousin and cousin-in-law.

Wow, what an evening! Unfortunately, when I got home I found the forum had vanished :open_mouth: So that dampened my mood. It was hard to get to sleep last night.

Awesomeness! :smiley:

Also, the forum is back up now. :mrgreen:

This is such great news, Alex, that they treated you so well and seemed willing to read the book!!! How funny that it was no surprise to them. I wondered, as passionate as you are, how you were keeping it under wraps. :smiley: Their willingness to engage you speaks of how much they value you, I think.

I’m going to post my replies to Joe’s original post here, after I post them on his blog.

I would have added that Arms and Calvs both agree that God has no problem chastening/disciplining us in this life in order to lead us to repentance! The Hebraist whom Joe likes to reference has some strong things to say about that, to give only one of very many scriptural examples.

If Arms and Calvs can accept this as a valid way of instruction and purgation by God without ethically rejecting it as being “preliminary torture” (and obviously they can), then they ought to have no problem accepting the same principle in practice later. (Ditto for “Arms” and “Calvs” among Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox, too, of course.)

I agree Jason.

Paragraph by paragraph takes a while, but I want to try to engage, albeit partially, with everything that he raises. Is there a way to move a selection of posts to a new topic? i.e. all the ones from Joe’s blog into a new topic called “Joe: Universalism - Whether to draw the line?”

Enjoying reading your responses, Alex! I think you are doing a fine job. I’m convinced! :laughing:

Thanks Amy :sunglasses:

Note: Alex has also presented a (relatively) brief article from Joe, for site commentary, in our “Discussion Negative” subcategory in the thread "Why I’m not a Universalist-5 initial reasons against UR ".

I’ve now replied to all the points in his first thread. Now to try to do the same with his next post: talkingchristianity.blogspot.com … itial.html