The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Judas

Fact: The sin he knowingly committed against the Christ was beyond measure

Fact: He would greatly suffer for his decision and deservedly so

Fact: The fate of this decision was eternal because if there was any period where the torment of his decision ended and he was reconciled with Christ, then no amount of torment would overshadow the bliss of being restored with Christ therefore why would it better if he were never existed?

One can argue that if he were never born then he would have remained in the bliss of heaven rather than suffer the torment of his decision in life but the end result would still be the same. Why would it matter if he were born or not?

I like how the Bible is full of idioms, kinda like the every day language of people today.

I find it interesting how God in the flesh speaks in every day language, kinda like us.

One could argue that if he were never born he would have never suffered the torment resulting from his decision (in life, or in a temporal hell hereafter), and that (even if ultimately reconciled to Christ, and a recepient of eternal bliss), it would have been better for him not to have been born (and not to have suffered that torment.)

True.

But (however you translate the verse), Christ didn’t say that it would have been better for Judas if he never existed.

He said “good were it for Him if that man had not been born.”

Now, if you believe that life begins at conception, isn’t it a fact that not being born isn’t synonomous with non-existence?

That makes my eyes water, Jason!

Who said scripture could be plainly understood by the common man?

And yet, Paul calls himself the “chief of all sinners”. Not Judas.

One could argue that if he were never born he would have never suffered the torment resulting from his decision (in life, or in a temporal hell hereafter), and that (even if ultimately reconciled to Christ, and a recepient of eternal bliss), it would have been better for him not to have been born (and not to have suffered that torment.)

It wouldn’t.

But (however you translate the verse), Christ didn’t say that it would have been better for Judas if he never existed.

He said “good were it for Him if that man had not been born.”

Now, if you believe that life begins at conception, isn’t it a fact that not being born isn’t synonomous with non-existence?

Gosh how did I miss this thread? I’ve been over on the other Judas thread. Oh well.

Tom

Me, too!–but it sure leads to some interpretative headaches sometimes! :laughing:

Fact: the sin any of us knowingly commit is against the Christ, and is beyond measure. None of us are ahead of Judas regardless of the relative size of our sin.

Fact: the same is true of anyone who impenitently holds to a sin. (Even ultra-universalists tend to agree with this, though they would say the suffering happens only in this life.)

Fact: Judas didn’t impenitently hold to his sin, but regretted what he had done, confessed his sin, and acted toward trying to fulfill justice with God instead.

Fact: we don’t even have to speculate whether this happened after death; GosMatt says he did it before death.

Fact: the term “regret”, although the Greek word “after-care” (or “after-concern” or “after-matter”), is still closely related to the word for repentance “after-mind”, and is treated everywhere else in the New Testament as being equivalent to repentance. (So trying to claim there is some special technical distinction such that Judas didn’t ‘really’ repent of his sin, is pointless. Not that you’ve tried this yet, but I’ve seen that defense often enough I figured I ought to pre-empt it. :wink: )

Fact: while Judas may have despaired that God would forgive him and accept his attempts at reconciliation (not surviving long enough to be visited like Peter nor to hear the “Father forgiven them” from the cross), no one anywhere at any time considers Judas Iscariot to be an inerrantly inspired theological authority despite being a chosen apostle like Simon Peter (who himself was hardly an inerrantly inspired theological authority, at least until much later. :wink: ) So why we, who presumably know better theology than Judas, should accept his despair as being religiously authoritative truth, must be established (if at all) on other grounds.

Fact: this argument, if followed out, indicates Jeremiah and Job (among others) must have eternally suffered torment, too, with no reconciliation to Christ.

Fact: no one anywhere believes the similar language used by Jeremiah and Job in regard to themselves, indicates a revealed metaphysical truth about their final unending misery. Nor does anyone anywhere believe their eventual blessedness, overshadowing their torment, renders their statements worthless as an expression of their misery and (in various ways) their crying needs for salvation, at the time they made those statements.

There may be good arguments for believing Judas will never be saved from his sins; but these are not them. :wink:

Its kind of hard to imagine someone that Jesus Christ literally hand-picked and personally chose (predestined?) to be his follower should be in hopeless damnation for doing nothing that any of the other hand-picked disciples didn’t do. They all betrayed Christ, Judas just did it a little more obviously, before doing his very best to reconcile himself back and make up for his mistake. Ironically; the religious leaders who put him up to the task refused to help him repent of it.

Fascinating how The Law did little to nothing to clean the man of the sins that The Law hired him to commit!

I was just re-reading this, and I was wondering if you realized that George Macdonald would disagree with you here.

afirstnewssource.net/sermons/Mac … rgiven.htm

**He doesn’t seem to see any necessity of taking Christ’s words hyperbolically.

He takes them literally, and offers a perfectly logical interpretation.**

I wouldn’t agree with Augustine there either, but I think you’re wrong to call all comparosons a category error.

I disagree witn Augustine because I consider a happy existence better than no existience, and no existence better than an unhappy existence.

Existence in bliss is better than non-existence in the same way that one is greater than zero (and the fact that you’d have to exist in order to consciously recognize the truth of either statement doesn’t make either of them any less true.)

Existence in misery is worse than non-existence, in the same way that minus one is less than zero (and the fact that you’d have to exist in order to see and appreciate that fact doesn’t change it either.)

I know what it’s like to live in emotional pain, but I don’t find it helpful to view everything as relative.

If you view the pain as bad, happiness as good, and existence in a state of happiness as intrinsically better than non-existence, you can at least hope everything will be worthwhile in the end (and thank your Creator for bringing you into existence in the first place.)

If you view all things as relative, and existence (whether in pain or bliss) as essentially no better or worse than non-existence, I don’t see how you could ever be grateful to your Creator for bringing you into existence (and I strongly advise you not to use that line of argument with anyone who’s even remotely suicidal.)

Anyway, after all the times you brought this topic up in our private conversations (when I was more interested in your views on other things, and didn’t want to talk about this at all), I hope you’ll forgive me for replying to you here.

I see no reason not to take Christ’s words as literally as George MacDonald, and I believe there are states of existence that are better than non-existence.

That’s why God created us–to share the good we couldn’t experience if we didn’t exist.

P.S. However valuable you found the “category error” argument in your past debates with annihilationists, I believe it is a fallacious argument.

If it is an act of kindness for a man to shoot a horse who’s in constant pain, it would certainly be an act of kindness for God to end the suffering of the incorrigibly wicked (even if “they” didn’t exist to consciously see and appreciate that kindness once they were annihilated–playing semantics with personal pronouns doesn’t change that.)

To say otherwise is to say that it would be just as kind for God to go on tormenting them forever, and just as kind for the man to leave the horse to die in pain–that’s nonsense Jason.

Even if you disagree with annihilationists, you should treat them with “fair-togetherness,” and avoid the fallacious arguments (and you should be aware that this particular argument could be quite toxic to anyone who’s really questioning the value of existence.)