The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Least Convincing Argument for Universalism

Cindy,

Yeah, I agree mostly. Certainly, tho Calvinism is often called the hard truth; actually, a doctrine like universalism where people spend eternity w/ Hitler or Alastair Crowley (both reformed, of course - God wouldn’t allow evil behavior in Heaven) is just as hard as harder to swallow than eternal Hell. But I don’t think all non-universalism is due to hard-heartedness or conditioning - I would say it is also, if equally, due to scriptural ambiguity. There are a lot of verses that are potentially universalist, but some of these verses being counted universalist depend on a knowledge of Hb/Gk, which that’s fine - I think we’re called to discern and exegete, but the avg person cant be faulted for not always knowing what to believe, at least imo.

Jason,

Thanks for sharing part of your journey of discernment. Uncharity, or unforgiveness, does seem to be the root sin, and God would be an awful hypocrite to turn around and inflict eternal Hell (or even allow us to inflict it on ourselves) on some. Tho I do think that God could be more merciful in allowing us unambiguous revelation :smiley: