The Evangelical Universalist Forum

List of favourite quotes from "Love Wins" & good reviews

I’m having trouble recommending “Love Wins” to some people as there are many overly negative reviews out there, so I thought it would be helpful to have a list of favourite quotes and good reviews (I would recommend Jason’s but it’s too long for the people I have in mind).

I’ll do a short version when I’m done. :slight_smile: Which won’t be long from now; I think I’m on the final chapter.

(…er, I mean a short version that’s longer than the really really short version I included somewhere in that long version. :mrgreen: )

Until then, I recommend my comments on chapter 6. Which is more of a summary than anything (and quite a lot of quoting). Rob’s chp 6 is, I think, the key to his whole book.

Meanwhile, I hope someone will also start a thread collating interviews with and/or about Rob.

McKnight engages in some honest interaction with the book:

"What Love Wins Tells Us About Christians"by Scot McKnight

Jesus Creed blog discussion “Exploring Love Wins”

This is my personal favorite review:
Safe Christians and a Dangerous God: A Review (of Sorts) of LOVE WINS by Rob Bell
(But people seem to want the stamp of approval of “church authority figures” before they will read something and think for themselves, and unfortunately, I don’t suppose this incredibly insightful blogging qualifies as a sufficiently sheepskin equipped “authority figure” whom you can name drop :confused: ):

This is the best review I’ve read by one of those widely recognized evangelical “authority figures” I mentioned above:

Whether “Love Wins”… or not by Mart DeHaan of Radio Bible Class

Mart DeHaan was so kind and Christ-like toward Rob Bell that he provoked chastisement from John MacArthur (source)! (Which chalks up points for Mart IMO- because of my distaste for MacArthur’s phallic venerating theology)

Video Interviews

Martin Bashir Interview with Bell youtu.be/Vg-qgmJ7nzA
This was the one where a lot of evangelical “authority figures” crowed about how Basher mopped the floor with Bell, but IMO Basher came across as abusive (attempting to re-write history, force words into Bell’s mouth, and project things onto him that were fabrications). Anyone who has been at the receiving end of abusive tactics by professing evangelicals will immediately sympathize and identify with Bell and want to hear him out.

I think hearing Bell speak for himself might incline someone to want to consider his his perspective more deeply:
Interviews about the book:
Rob Bell discusses “Love Wins” on Good Morning America

Rob Bell Interview MSNBC Morning Joe- Pastor’s new book causes controversy youtu.be/dOW6rDPzTbc

Robin Parry had a Rob Bell video on the Resurrection posted on his blog at Easter:
theologicalscribbles.blogspot.co … g-yes.html

I have to say that I was pretty impressed with Sonia and a Lady called Joy who both argued against ECT (although someone said to Joy something about being teachable by godly men who had studied the subject more than her. I notice he didn’t mention women!).

Thanks Gem! That’s a great start :sunglasses:

Our Sonia (SLJ) I wonder?

I did comment several times on MacArthur’s site. (Thanks for the kind words, Sarah!) I didn’t read all the other comments, but I believe Joy was arguing for annihilation.

Sonia

Yay! Annihilation! Rejoice! :mrgreen:

Sorry; the juxtoposition just seemed strange. :slight_smile:

Meanwhile, my own review (the long annoying version) has now been finished.

I’ll post a link to a shorter collated review when-if-ever I get around to doing it. :smiley:

I just wrote this on another forum:

Atheists live in hope. They hope one day they will cease to exist. Christians hope they will live forever with Absolute Good. Atheists hope they will be dead forever with Absolutely Nothing. But how can you hope to be annihilated? The atheist hope is actually a profound despairing of hope. Since I think hope is better than despair, and seeking life is better than seeking death, I reject Atheism. To those miserable folk who can find nothing better to believe, I say, “Keep looking.”

I don’t think atheists hope to be annihilated (or not usually); they just make peace with it as much as possible, figuring it’s the truth and they might as well deal with it.

I have recently been at the receiving end of said “tactics”. I recently got into a discussion on facebook (I know, I know) against my better judgment with some professing evangelicals in response to a topic starter; “Does God want everyone to be saved?”
They repeatedly accused me of saying that people could be saved apart from Christ, which I definitely did not say, and even clarified that in more than one post. It’s seriously like trying to talk to a brick wall, they truly can’t hear what you’re actually saying. In their minds, universalism = the ability to be saved without Christ, even though you specifically refute that.

That sounds very frustrating, but don’t lose hope, they may have been just trying to save face and God may make what you said resurface in their minds later on, and of course there are others looking on, who may well benefit. Possibly don’t bother engaging those particular evangelicals, but certainly don’t let it discourage you speaking up again :slight_smile:

It reflects poorly on them and is no reflection on you, M.
I came away from the Basher interview with a fine opinion of Rob Bell, but feeling sorry for Basher’s wife and kids.
I presume he pulls out his tactics whenever he wants to win an argument. Blech!
If anything, feel sorry for those FB people who are in such bondage :frowning:

I loved the book !

Melchizedek wrote:

I know what you mean. But its not impossible to break through the wall … but even then sometime the same brick wall goes up with the same person later on. Its the whole “post-mortem” salvation thing they keep forgetting about.

Here isa link to Greg Boyd’s review:

gregboyd.org/blog/rob-bell-i … love-wins/