The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Matthew 7:21 never enter heaven?

Well, That is your VIEW, please don’t present it as a ‘biblical fact’ there are other views and other ways of looking at it.

Some would say that we don’t have to be ‘ANYTHING’ that the position between God and the Christ has well dealt with any disturbance between God the Father and His creation. And that is good news! :wink:

Hermano - I think you are dead-on correct in those two quotes of yours, above. Keep the faith, brother! I don’t necessarily connect with you on every particular of your futurist thinking, but on the matter of the clear teaching of the necessity of a submissive and loving relationship with God the Father and His Son, and the filling of the Holy Spirit, yeah I’m right there.
My view, obviously. I know there are others! :slight_smile:

1 Like

As stated the word “never” was in the argument of the OP:

Mt.7:21 says ““Not everyone…will enter the Kingdom of Heaven”. So how are those who will not enter this kingdom going to be saved? Can one not enter heaven & be saved?

As a general principle and in terms of conscious service to God through Christ, well that’s fair enough. Service to God however is not restricted to the framework of Christ. Anyone for example working righteousness (which ISN’T dependant on knowledge of Christ) IS acceptable to God, as per for example…

Acts 10:34-35 Then Peter opened his mouth and said: “In truth I perceive that God shows no partiality. But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him.

But with regards to your statement that… “Only right believing can lead to right working” — ANY believer knowing full well the right can STILL choose to work the wrong. So definitely the emphasis is on your “can.

Interesting. I have been reading Acts - it’s actually a lively and somewhat exciting book, unlike the couple of commentaries on it that I’ve read.
In chapter 10, Peter arrives at Caesarea in response to a request by Cornelius. Right before this, Peter had the vision of the ‘sheet’ with unclean animals being lowered from heaven, and the Lord’s voice telling him to kill and eat the animals. We all know the story, how Peter refused because he never ate anything unclean, and the Lord telling him that whatever He declared is fit, is okay; the lesson showing that unclean Gentiles, if declared ‘clean’ by God. would be accepted into the Kingdom.
So Cornelius and his household were Gentiles, and God had spoken to Cornelius and told him to request Peter. So Peter showed up, and said the words davo quoted above Acts 10.34-35.
THEN - that is not the end of the story. As Peter preaches Christ, the Holy Spirit falls on Cornelius and his household - speaking in tongues, even.
So, they were ‘right doing’ but that was not enough! They still had not heard the gospel, and needed to hear and understand it n order to respond and find forgiveness of sins, and be baptized.
Just sayin’ - it was necessary not just to ‘work righteousness’, but to believe in the gospel and be filled with the Spirit. I have no reason to believe that the same thing is true today.

Berean Literal Bible
Not everyone saying to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but the one doing the will of My Father in the heavens. (Mt.7:21)

According to a number of commentators the “kingdom of the heavens” (Mt.7:21) is associated with Christ’s millennial age kingdom. So exclusion from this kingdom would not necessarily mean a person will never be saved.

“The characteristic phrase is “the kingdom of the heavens”. This refers to Daniel’s prophecy, “And in the days of these kings the God of the heavens shall set up a kingdom which shall not be harmed for the eon, and the kingdom shall not be left to another people. It shall crush and terminate all these kingdoms…(Dan.2:44).”(Concordant Commentary)

Rev.5:10 and You have made them a kingdom and priests to our God; and they will reign upon the earth."

Rev.20:4c And they came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.

Revelation 20:6
Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection! The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ, and will reign with Him for a thousand years.

Exodus 19:6
And unto Me you shall be a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words that you are to speak to the Israelites."

Mt.7:21 Not everyone saying to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but the one doing the will of My Father in the heavens.
22 Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’

What is “that day” (Mt.7:22) referring to? Possibly “the kingdom of the heavens” (v.21) itself as the millennial (1000 year) age kingdom of Christ? Peter says 1000 years (a millennium) is as a “day” to God (2 Pet.3:8) & also speaks of the “day of the age” (2 Pet.3:18):

Young’s Literal Translation
2 Pet.3:18) and increase ye in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ; to him is the glory both now, and to the day of the age! Amen.

Well in terms of God’s “acceptance to God” such as is testified IS enough, BUT, in terms of the more excellent way (Acts 18:26) of Christ, then yeah, as you say. What you’ve brought up IS what is involved with service to God through Christ — not everybody is called to that.

Trouble that notion is… there is absolutely NO mention of a millennial age made. Verses 20 and 24 make it clear the whole context is about the works/fruit of the faithful, i.e., the wise.

It seems to me, davo, that one of several conceivable “troubles” with - any - interpretation is that “that day” (Mt.7:22) is not defined by the context:

Mt.7:21 Not everyone saying to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but the one doing the will of My Father in the heavens.
22 Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’

How do Pretesists & Pantelists interpret “that day” (v.22)?

Universalist futurists could interpret v.21 in light of the “that day” of v.22 & claim that all the passage says is that on “that day” of Christ’s future return will those who do not do “the will of My Father” (v.21) be excluded from “the kingdom of the heavens”. So Mt.7:21-23 does not necessarily rule out anyone (e.g. those in Hades or the lake of fire) from eventually doing His will, entering the kingdom & being saved. So it is harmonious with Scriptural Universalism.

As a pantelist Jesus’ “that day” = his AD70 parousia where…

1Cor 3:14-15 If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

The Bible nowhere teaches that dead people go to a place called heaven, the Kingdom of Heaven I suppose is the millenium, not all people will reign with Christ, even not all Christians.

There seems to be some overlap between the use of “heaven” and The Father’s House–the celestial city Jerusalem.

2 Kings 2:11
As they were walking along and talking together, suddenly a chariot of fire and horses of fire appeared and separated the two of them, and Elijah went UP TO HEAVEN in a whirlwind.

2 Cor. 12:2
I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was CAUGHT UP TO the third HEAVEN . Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know—God knows.

Acts 7:55, 59
But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, LOOKED UP TO HEAVEN and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. …While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.”

Rev 4:1
After these things I looked, and behold, a door standing open in HEAVEN. And the first voice which I heard was like a trumpet speaking with me, saying, “COME UP HERE…

Rev. 11:12
Then they heard a loud voice from HEAVEN saying to them, “COME UP HERE.And they WENT UP TO HEAVEN in a cloud, while their enemies looked on.

John 14:2-3
MY FATHER’S HOUSE has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I AM GOING THERE to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.

2 Corinthians 5:1
For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal [aiōnios] HOUSE IN HEAVEN, not built by human hands.

Philippians 1:23
I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far.

Philippians 3:20
But our citizenship is in heaven.

We know that eventually the celestial city will come down to the new earth and be visible:

Rev 21:10
And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great and high mountain, and showed me the great city, the holy Jerusalem, DESCENDING out of heaven from God.

Back to Cornelius for just a second. Peter had been instructed by God that the Gentiles were to be included in God’s work of saving the world; a bitter pill for a Jew, most likely.
Cornelius, testified to be ‘a righteous man’, was such a Gentile. Peter preached about Christ and forgiveness of sins, and Cornelius and all who were with him experienced the filling of the HS.
Why I stress ‘forgiveness of sins’ is because, when Peter returned to Jerusalem to share the experience with the apostles and others, they then “gave praise to God and said 'this means that God has granted life-giving repentance to the Gentiles also.”
So - a righteous man needed to hear about Christ and forgiveness of sins - so we know that that ‘righteous’ man was not sinless.
We learn in Jerusalem that ‘life-giving repentance’ was offered to the Gentiles.
I don’t see any reason to think that things are different now.

1 Like

Great. There’s hope for even the zombies of Z-Hell (1, 2, 3, 4).

But first, an interesting story from today’s Patheos Evangelical newsletter

You know what? A few years ago, I was hanging out with Duke Big Feather. He was the spiritual leader, of the Two Feathers Medicine Clan (A Native American group,of medicine men and women). But his first statement to me was:

There are no saints here

So when I sent an email, to the head Eastern Orthodox priest…requesting to become Orthodox, I stated (regarding me):

There are no saints here

But added this:

Through Christ, I am a work in progress

The fruit are a means of identifying & distinguishing the false prophets, who are not saved, from those who do the will of God, i.e. the saved. It’s all part of the Matthew chapters 5-7 sermon of Jesus, including references to Gehenna, i.e. the lake of fire where the unsaved go.

This is one rare case in which I agree with Davo, that “Jesus was NOT talking about who does or doesn’t get into heaven postmortem.” One of the most enlightening passages concerning the Kingdom of God is found in the words that Jesus spoke to the Pharisees:

Being asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, he answered them, “The kingdom of God is not coming in ways that can be observed, nor will they say, ‘Look, here it is!’ or ‘There!’ for behold, the kingdom of God is in the midst of you.” (Luke 17:20,21 ESV)

The Kingdom of God IS (present tense) right in the midst of you Pharisees, so how can you ask when it is coming? A kingdom consists of a king and his subjects. Jesus is the King, and His disciples are His subjects.
Thus Jesus and His disciples comprised the Kingdom of God at that time—the Kingdom in its infant stage.

Jesus gave parables about the Kingdom in its infant stage, parables about its growth, and parables about its final stage Very little is said in the NT about heaven as a dwelling place for the saints post-mortem.

We’ve all heard about the “mansions” in heaven that Jesus has gone to prepare for us. (John 14:2,3). Jesus hasn’t returned yet; is He still busy preparing a luxurious mansion for each one of us?

In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. (NKJV)

The first thing of which we should be aware is that the word that the NKJV translates as “mansions” should be translated as “dwelling places.” Oh, “mansions” was all right in the 1600s, for the word MEANT “dwelling places” at that time. When you read Jesus words here in context it becomes plain that Jesus was going to prepare His Body, the Assembly (later called “the Church”) where there would be places for each of his disciples to occupy a special dwelling place for himself. And that Assembly came into being on that special day of Pentecost of which we read in Acts 2.

1 Like

Yes… grasping a hold of forgiveness (which is what repentance enables) through hearing the gospel is what makes one a servant-disciple of Christ — that’s the narrower micro story of service within the broader macro story of God’s greater reconciliation of man… wherein He ceased imputing trespasses, i.e., you’ve been forgiven, there are beneficial blessings to be found living within that… if you will but grasp it.

:place_of_worship: :hugs:

From my perspective, I would agree but putting that firmly in the historical context of a now past judgment, i.e., were not saved from Gehenna, aka Israel’s ‘lake of fire’… Jerusalem’s AD70 conflagrations etc.

Maybe you’re right. I can’t quite grasp it however. Repentance is for:
Acts 17:30 “God overlooked people’s ignorance about these things in earlier times, but now he commands everyone everywhere to repent of their sins and turn to him.”
Everyone is commanded to repent.

Acts 3:19 “Now repent of your sins and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped away.”
Not for service, but for sins.
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slow concerning his promise, as some regard slowness, but is being patient toward you, because he does not wish for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.”

Of course, we all know those verses, nothing new here - but it at least looks like everyone needs to repent, not just for service, but for life and forgiveness of sins.

1 Like