The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Meaning of *world*

I was curious to see what all of you thought as to the interpretation behind all the uses of world in the NT. John 3:16 of course says For God so loved the world. Jesus said He had overcome the world. Paul says while we live in the world we will experience tribulation. I know there are many other passages as well. Are there subcategories in all these uses??? Obviously Jesus came to save people not a planet, so what exactly is the meaning.

Robert

Jesus saves the planet as well in the new Heaven and Earth. But I think world used in the context you are describing is talking about all humanity. There are references to “world” as the evil world system. But I think John 3:16 is referring to all people. The Calvinist interpretation of the passage is a butcher and mutilation of God’s word.

My question is after the “God so loved the world” part. I have always had trouble understanding John 3:16 because it says God so loved the World, but then it says he only gives everlasting life to those who believe? If He loves the world, doesn’t that mean he will save the world? and not just those who believe? That one has always stumped me in terms of trying to defend Universal Salvation when someone who is a ECT advocate brings it up. Thoughts?

Andrew,

It says that He loves the world and those that believe won’t experience perishing. It’s good to note that the creation is said to experience perishing and destruction through fire as well but that there will be a new heaven and earth. Couldn’t this be for those in the lake of fire as well? The gates of the city remain open forever as it tells us they will never be shut. Those in the lake of fire come in to quench their thirst with living water after the old sinful self is destroyed. There’s nothing about them having faith though. The creation is purged and made new without faith as well. Faith is for this age not the next. When we see Christ face to face faith and hope pass away and there will be nothing but perfect love within the circle of the Trinity. God loves the world but saves those who believe from the purgation of fire. But it tells us here below that God is the Savior of all - ESPECIALLY them that believe.

It’s a likelihood. But I’m a hopeful universalist.

I have found three words that are translated as “world” in the New King James Version:

1. κοσμος (cosmos). This word occurs 152 times in the New Testament, and the NKJV renders it as “world” every time except 1 Pet 3:3 where it renders the word as “adorning.” Actually the word basically means “orderly arrangement” and so I suppose “adorning” is acceptable in that verse.
    However, I think the word in some of the other verses ought to be translated as “Universe.” This meaning had come through to us in English as “cosmos.” Certainly the Universe itself is an orderly arrangement.

2. οἰκουμενη (oikoumenā) “the inhabited earth” occurs 15 times and is usually translated as “world.” The English word “ecumenical” is derived directly or indirectly from this Greek word.

3. αἰων (aiōn) This word occurs 165 times and means “age” and is so translated in the NKJV most often. Yet that translation renders it as “world” 11 times.

Robert, in John 3:16, the word used is “cosmos”.
“God so loved the cosmos.” Could it be that God loves the entire Universe? Is Christ’s death efficacious for the whole Universe—even for Satan and the fallen angels if they repent and submit to the authority of Christ?

Origen (185-255 A.D.) thought so.

From my perspective I’m inclined to view world in this passage as primarily speaking of and limited to the world of historic Israel. There are IMO other texts relative to humanity as a whole being embraced by the grace of God etc. So, a pantelistic reading of Jn 3:16 looks to leave the text as applying to the audience with whom such was spoken, and so reads like this…

As you can see… world is decidedly local and “Israel” in focus (but again not to the total exclusion of all else Jn 1:12b). Israel as personified in Jesus and His elect firstfruit saints were God’s redemptive means and focal point (Jn 4:22) ON BEHALF OF the rest of humanity who were predestined to benefit from Israel’s redemption. Remember, Israel was to be “a light” to the nations and were in fact the firstfruits of humanity…

Israel was the firstfruits portion of the entire harvest (humanity), i.e., Israel made humanity “acceptable” to God. This is WHY Israel’s redemption was so crucial to and indelibly linked with the reconciliation of mankind.

Again, just by way of clarification… world had a limited understanding and application to THEIR times, as per:

Lk 2:1 world was limited to the Roman empire – not the entire globe; and again, Jn 12:19 world is clearly limited in scope etc.

I like that Davo. There is a Catholic position that’s Preterist. I don’t think it goes as far as yours but they would probably agree with what you said above.