The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Mythology and the Bible

This passage below clearly states that Yehovah does not want his people to do as the pagans did to their gods and say they are doing the same to Yehovah. There are many similarities, as you have so brilliantly stated above, Mag. What does anyone think of that? Is it still important for us today? Are there things we do “like the pagans”? Is that acceptable? Just wondering what others think.

These are the statutes and judgments, which ye shall observe to do in the land, which the LORD God of thy fathers giveth thee to possess it, all the days that ye live upon the earth. Ye shall utterly destroy all the places, wherein the nations which ye shall possess served their gods, upon the high mountains, and upon the hills, and under every green tree: And ye shall overthrow their altars, and break their pillars, and burn their groves with fire; and ye shall hew down the graven images of their gods, and destroy the names of them out of that place. Ye shall not do so unto the LORD your God.
(Deu 12:1-4)

I’m glad you guys like this topic, I hope someone can make sense of it all, I surely can’t :laughing:

We are supposed to be entering, or have entered the age of Aquarius (cue music: “when the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with mars, then peace will fill the planet and love will fill the stars”)

I guess the zodiac/mazzaroth signs have planets associated with them. Aquarius’ planet is Uranus, or Ouranous in greek. This is the word for heaven in the new testament. The kingdom of heaven(ouranous) is at hand.

Aquarius is the water bearer, its a man pouring out a pitcher of water. “I will pour out my spirit on all flesh”, water=spirit btw.

John 7:37On the last and greatest day of the Feast (feast of tabernacles), Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. 38Whoever believes in me, asc the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him.” 39By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.

Mt. Hermon was likely the place where the transfiguration took place. It is right near Caesarea Phillipi.

Psalm 133
Behold, how good and how pleasant it is
For brothers to dwell together in unity!
2It is like the precious oil upon the head, Coming down upon the beard, Even Aaron’s beard, Coming down upon the edge of his robes.
3It is like the dew of Hermon Coming down upon the mountains of Zion; For there the LORD commanded the blessing—life forever.

SOS 4:8
Come with me from Lebanon, my bride,
come with me from Lebanon.
Descend from the crest of Amana,
from the top of Senir, the summit of Hermon,
from the lions’ dens
and the mountain haunts of the leopards.

Hermon is also called siyon, although the spelling is quite different, listen to the pronunciation of siyon and zion here:

blueletterbible.org/lang/lex … ongs=H6726

blueletterbible.org/lang/lex … ongs=H7865

end Biblical portion begin mythology connections, I don’t know if any of the following is relevant

Baal Hermon is also called Baal Gad, the word Gad is pronounced god, and is possibly where we get our word god from. Gad was the god of fortune, and was associated with Jupiter. Jupiter is also one of the cherubim, Molech, the king (Jupiter is the king star). I know among sacred name folks saying Lord God is basically saying baal gad.

The mountain or summit is referred to as Saphon in Ugaritic texts where the palace of Baal is located in a myth about Attar.[7][8]
(saphon=zaphon?)
–Isa 14:13 You said in your heart, "I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit on the mount of assembly on the heights of Zaphon;

Attar, also known as Athtar, Astar, and Ashtar is the god of the morning star in western Semitic mythology. In Canaanite legend he attempts to usurp the throne of the dead god Baal but proves inadequate.
–Isa 14:12 How you have fallen from heaven, O morning star, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations!

Ok so Hermon is named for Hermes. Hermes is the messenger god. He is the same as thoth, mercury, and nebo (like in nebucanezzer).

Moses died on Mt. Nebo

Jesus was (possibly) transfigured on Mt. Hermon

WOW

Moses the veiled one died on it, Jesus was unveiled on it. Nebo is the babylonian/semitic version, Hermes is the greek version (OT hebrew, NT greek)

2 Cor 3
12Therefore having such a hope, we use great boldness in our speech, 13and are not like Moses, who used to put a veil over his face so that the sons of Israel would not look intently at the end of what was fading away. 14But their minds were hardened; for until this very day at the reading of the old covenant the same veil remains unlifted, because it is removed in Christ. 15But to this day whenever Moses is read, a veil lies over their heart; 16but whenever a person turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. 17Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 18But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed(transfigured) into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.

Isa 25
And on this mountain I will remove the covering that is cast over all nations, the veil that is spread over all faces, I will swallow up death forever.

Hi Mag!
You probably already know this but, thought I’d through in my .02 anyway. The “sea of glass” spoken of in Rev. is actually the “sea of brass”. The sea in the temple was made of brass (which is, I believe what they used for mirrors in the day), the priests would inspect themselves in the sea of brass to make sure they were clean before going into the temple. I was having thoughts like . . . As priests, we see into the “mirror” (of brass) dimly outside of the temple but, when we enter the temple (in heaven) we will see Him face to face. Then we will know what sort of man we are. We will awake in His likeness. So, He fulfills the shadow - the mirror or sea of brass, as the true mirror by which to judge if our garments are clean or unclean. Adam had offspring in his own image. We conform to the image of Yeshua, the 2nd Adam who washes us clean and makes us alive with Him. It seems that the sea always pointed to Messiah as a symbol, perhaps of the Red Sea which the Hebrews were baptized into with Moses and as a reminder that the One that is like Moses would come to deliver them from their bondage (of sin).
Thank you for taking the time to put this all down. All I can say is WOW! I have been thinking on it a lot.

Hi Mag!
You probably already know this but, thought I’d through in my .02 anyway. The “sea of glass” spoken of in Rev. is actually the “sea of brass”. The sea in the temple was made of brass (which is, I believe what they used for mirrors in the day), the priests would inspect themselves in the sea of brass to make sure they were clean before going into the temple. I was having thoughts like . . . As priests, we see into the “mirror” (of brass) dimly outside of the temple but, when we enter the temple (in heaven) we will see Him face to face. Then we will know what sort of man we are. We will awake in His likeness. So, He fulfills the shadow - the mirror or sea of brass, as the true mirror by which to judge if our garments are clean or unclean. Adam had offspring in his own image. We conform to the image of Yeshua, the 2nd Adam who washes us clean and makes us alive with Him. It seems that the sea always pointed to Messiah as a symbol, perhaps of the Red Sea which the Hebrews were baptized into with Moses and as a reminder that the One that is like Moses would come to deliver them from their bondage (of sin).
Thank you for taking the time to put this all down. All I can say is WOW! I have been thinking on it a lot.

Hey Kelly,

I concur :wink:

good stuff. I agree since I believe that the LOF is His fiery presence, which the LOF may be an allusion on to the laver as bronze is judgement, and also what you’ve pointed out.

Also priests could not wear wool into the temple they would have had to change to linen. Who was hairy? Esau, edom is the same word as adam. See linen in Revelation.

also I wonder if there’s a connection to Jesus washing the feet, as I don’t think the priests would take a bath in the laver, they would have already been mostly clean.??

I’m glad this got you going

The big one for me, is the myth, that is is reflected, exposed and even denounced in Judaism and Christianity. This myth and social/religious process, is that of mimetic rivalry/violence, the scapegoat killed, peace restored and the scapegoat deified. Girard is a real hero of mine, for bringing to light this relationship.

kyrie.com/outer/girard/Girar … Part_I.pdf

I believe Christ is the fullness of God, come to suffer as the fulfilment of the natural scapegoat mechanism. Christ came that we might realize, we are not guilty, nor ever have been been guilty. Personal guilt is part of the disorder/corruption instilled in the created world. Guilt is the dark cloud that encompasses the soul of the worldly/unregenerate man.

God gave His all for us, through Christ Jesus. I wept when I realized that God forsook all of Himself, as the scapegoat on the cross for me. Yes, God is made up of the All and the Nothing. Why does man believe he can measure Him? Yes, throw the trinity in, as a myth, also.

Thanks Hennessey! Super interesting link!

Interesting link, Hennessey. By focusing our desire on something intangible (the good God), Jesus defuses memetic desire, thus stopping (potentially) all the violence that comes from human envy and greed. By forgiving those who killed him, Jesus condemned and demolished the concept of a vengeful God who demands sacrifice and satisfaction. If God Incarnate forgives those who hurt him, so should we. Again, this one stunning insight has the potential to end human violence.

We’re guilty of wrongly thinking we are guilty? I think we’re guilty of wrongly thinking we are innocent. Otherwise, Christ’s call to repentance makes no sense at all.

I feel personal guilt when I do something wrong. At these times, it is good to feel bad, and bad to feel good. Psychopaths don’t feel guilt. (Ask any leper if pain can be good.)

Was David regenerate or unregenerate when he acknowledged his guilt over Bathsheba?

I think I am the superposition of two natures. I am a sheep and a goat, a son of God and a son of the devil, an old man and a new man, spirit and flesh, regenerate and unregenerate, in Christ and in Adam. I am of two minds. Part of me is doomed to destruction, part is destined to glory.

Cheers.