nondenominational churches

There are some nondenominational churches in my area. Most of them seem fundamentalist. Has anyone ever been to or known of a nondenominational church with a liturgical worship structure?

I prefer churches that have the label “community church”, if I attend a non-liturgical worship service. I think you will find more fundamentalism, in churches that call themselves “Bible churches”. Basically, I don’t think you will find any Bible, non-denominational or community churches, that incorporate a liturgical style of worship.

Basically, I don’t think you will find any Bible, non-denominational or community churches, that incorporate a liturgical style of worship.

Yes that’s my experience!

Mine too! More liturgical styles appear associated with more specific denominational traditions, rather than shared by wider non-denominational assemblies.

Yes, the apostolic churches were non-liturgical. People participated in the meetings as they were led by the spirit of God.

What is the outcome then, brethren? When you assemble, each one has a psalm [hymn], has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification. (1 Corinthians 14:26 NASB)

Paul here indicates the ideal for which to strive in a Christian meeting. Every individual have been given something by God to share, and is free to do so, if the opportunity arises. This practice is called “body ministry” as opposed to the one-man (or woman) ministry that prevails in most “churches” today.

In the first and second century there was just one Assembly (or “Church”) of God, and no denominations. There were overseers (incorrectly translated as “bishops” in the King James) appointed in each local assembly and there were also “deacons” ( a direct transliteration of the Greek διακονος or diakonos in Latin characters). This word could be translated as “servants” in the sense of those who serve others in the assembly. Remember that the first deacons were appointed to serve food. Some of the deacons in the early church were women (Romans 16:1). The same word “diakonos” is used here; most translations render it as “servant.” Some render it “minister” since a deacon ministers food to the brethren, or ministers various forms of help to them. The RSV translates the word as “deaconess” in Romans 16:1.

The overseers in the early church did not do all the teaching or preaching. Any spirit-led brother could teach or preach. Sisters too, could share, prophesy, speak in tongues, interpret tongues, or sing in the spirit, or lead out in a hymn, as indicated in the quote from I Corinthians 14:26.

Initially, there was one universal (catholic) Assembly of God. Every local congregation was part of it. As time went on, this one Assembly (there were no others) gradually changed and developed into what was called “The Catholic Church.” Any local congregation that separated from it was called “heretic.” That word did not have the negative connotation that it had later on. The Greek word “αἱρεσις” (hairesis)—Strongs 139, occurs nine times in the New Testament. Some translators actually transliterate it as “heresy.” The NASB translates it as either “sect” or “faction” but also “heresy” once in 2 Peter 2:1. The Assembly of God in the first century was considered to be a sect (hairesis) of the Jewish religion (Acts 28:22), just as the Pharisees and Sadducees were sects of the same.

Acts 5:17 But the high priest rose up, along with all his associates (that is the sect <139> of the Sadducees), and they were filled with jealousy.
Acts 15:5 But some of the sect <139> of the Pharisees who had believed stood up, saying, “It is necessary to circumcise them and to direct them to observe the Law of Moses.”
Acts 24:5 "For we have found this man a real pest and a fellow who stirs up dissension among all the Jews throughout the world, and a ringleader of the sect <139> of the Nazarenes.
Acts 24:14 "But this I admit to you, that according to the Way which they call a sect <139> I do serve the God of our fathers, believing everything that is in accordance with the Law and that is written in the Prophets;
Acts 26:5 since they have known about me for a long time, if they are willing to testify, that I lived as a Pharisee according to the strictest sect <139> of our religion.
Acts 28:22 “But we desire to hear from you what your views are; for concerning this sect <139>, it is known to us that it is spoken against everywhere.”
1 Corinthians 11:19 For there must also be factions <139> among you, so that those who are approved may become evident among you.
Galatians 5:20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions <139>,
2 Peter 2:1 But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will also be false teachers among you, who will secretly introduce destructive heresies <139>, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing swift destruction upon themselves.

Well, I might try a nondenominational church of Christ not too far from me. Do they typically use wine?

Well, once I read an article, about a saint from the East. Some of his students, were asking a question - regarding another living person, from the East. He mentioned, “why don’t you pick up the telephone and ask him?”

Which is probably a good policy here. Especially if no one here, knows the answer. Pick the the telephone, call a Church of Christ location and ask them.

This may or may not tie in to what you are wanting but consider the Ancient-Future Faith Network ancientfuturefaithnetwork.org/
or check out the terms “non-denominational church liturgical” in a search.

Thank you. Can you summarize what this movement is about?

While I’m sure our brothers and sisters that lead most non-denominational churches mean well, I’ve found non-denominational churches to typically have a sales pitch feel. Like they put so much effort into having a sleek production, but their theological depth is superficial. I miss the intellectual richness I was immersed in, growing up attending a Catholic church. I’m hoping to find that in a protestant church.

The Ancient Future Faith Network seeks to renew the church through Worship, Spirituality and theology in a post-Christian world. It engages Evangelicals from a wide range of denominations and non-denominational affiliations. They believe in drawing upon the ancient which is the historic tradition of orthodox teaching testified in Scripture, handed down by the apostles, and defended by the church fathers and as embodied in the Nicene and Apostle’s Creeds. The dash between ancient and future symbolizes the present between incarnation and re-creation, worshiping the Father through the Son, and by the Spirit as we walk out our baptisms in his story, participating with him his purposes for the world. The future refers to the eager anticipation of disciples to Christ’s second coming when he makes all things new, returns the created order back to the Father, and when the whole body of Christ feasts together at the Lamb’s wedding supper. Faith is connecting the depth of the ancient church with evangelical fervor, they have a hunger for renewal in worship and spirituality and that the body’s faith will be strengthened when Christian orthodoxy and practice.

An example of a liturgical or ancient-future friendly non-denominational church is in the vein of Jacob’s Well in Kansas City MO
jacobswellchurch.org/

Thanks! Can you provide a list of such churches?

Buy seriously, if we step back and look, doesn’t it seem a bit… Silly? I mean, who the heck cares if they use real wine it not? Us this what Christianity has devolved too? Do you all not see the division? Sorry, I couldn’t not say something. Just crazy and divisive to me… Does everything need to be perfect for us to fellowship?

Some examples include but are not limited to Kyrie Fellowship kyriefellowship.webs.com/
Epiclesis- epiclesis.org/
Jacob’s Well jacobswellchurch.org/

Yes, if it were merely a matter of whether wine or grape juice is used, I would agree with you. However, symbolism is very important in Christianity. The bread and wine that symbolizes Christ—his body and blood, should not, contain leaven (yeast). For Christ Himself had no “leaven of unrighteousness” in Him. He was totally good and without sin or any tendency to sin.

Thefore one should use unleavened bread (bread without yeast) and unleavened wine (wine without yeast. In the winemaking process, the yeast settles to the bottom and the pure wine is skimmed off the top). However, grape juice is leavened; it contains yeast cells.