The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Notes on the Trinity

Oh, I like someone with some steel. I have been reading some of Jason’s responses in the different forums and enjoying them immensely. He certainly has a treasure trove of Biblical knowledge.

Be blessed

Well, discouraging the oppositional rhetoric language helps us all become and stay friends while being able to actually dispute with one another, pro and con, on the issues we care about. That’s the point to the board rules (or #3 anyway); and it was the point to James’ remark.

It’s much harder to have a friendly discussion on something, pro and con, when one person starts out accusing the other side of treachery to God, slavish unthinking devotion to godless systems of religion, etc. We allow a little leeway on that, but not much, precisely because it tends to kill actual discussion of issues. The moderators and admins would have the same responsibility in your favor to yellow-card a trinitarian engaging in similar rhetorical barrages against you, too, whether particularly or generally.

Just dial back on the rhetoric, is all we’re asking.

As to the substantial portions of your comment, I hope to address those later (this weekend if my plans hold together. They didn’t last weekend. :wink: ) I owe Mel some replies on similar topics, too.

Mind you! - you can always vent your righteous anger on me as I truly AM a Godless apostate :smiley:

My fees:
£1 for 5 minutes of wrathful fury.
£5 for a full half hour’s hellfire sermon (Conscious Eternal or otherwise) - including tea and biscuits.
£50 buys a full day of railing and raging interspersed with 2 tea breaks and a light lunch.

Flagellation extra (given not reveived).

:smiling_imp:

:laughing:

Though more seriously: we’d rather you not do that to the agnostics and atheists on the board, either. :wink: We value all our guests and want to protect civility for everyone’s sake so that everyone is as comfortable as possible making their contributive cases and engaging in critique (or just paging around reading things, which most visitors do.)

Oh my, just when I was going to take Jeff up on his offer. :mrgreen:

Jason don’t bother with me as far as a “trinity” discourse. If I tire with the sovereignty/free will discussions I have no concentration at all for the “trinity” exposes. I read your response on the trinity to Justin in the grace thread and it just isn’t there for me. Being hard headed most of my knowledge of God is experiential rather than intellectual. This is especially true when it comes to knowing God as One. A sincere thank you, for the offer though.

The untamed soul loves complexity. While the Spirit bids us “simplify, simplify, we are become One.”

How strange it should be,
That we who seemed four,
Are now become Three.
And We Who are Three
Are yet become One,
Father, Spirit and Sons in the Son.

Peace and blessings,

John

1 Trin. 4:18 - “For if the Trinitarian scarcely be saved, where shall the modalist and the unitarian appear?” :wink: