The Evangelical Universalist Forum

obeying our leaders

Our preacher used this verse on Sunday, Hebrews 13:17

Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

To what degree are we to obey church officials? How are they watching over our souls?

As always, I think our view should be weighed in light of the total counsel of Scripture’s trajectory. I take that to mean that we should have a submissive spirit that is open to seriously consider the application of counsel that comes from those committed to our care. But I would assume that it does not supercede the assumption that “We must obey God, rather than men.” And that each of us is under Christ, and ultimately responsible to him for what we do. I add this up as ruling out mindless obedience to orders that come from those in an authoritative position, recognizing that sometimes God’s will may be contrary to even those human instructions.

the church I attend has really been pushing accountability lately. My wife was in a meeting the other day in which they were told that they had been looking an noticed that some had not attended regularly. We were also told that we were rebellious and independent if we didn’t fill out the attendance card every sunday. Am I being rebellious and independent?

What does the “attendance card” entail? Is it a cheap substitute for relationship?

not really sure what the cards are for. They say they can’t help us if they don’t know were not there…? I’ve been going there for 18 years. The cards are relatively new.

I’m tempted to say you ought to reply that, hey, they’re right–and suggest the whole congregation should reconvert to Roman Catholicism, so as not to be in rebellion against them anymore but so that they know where you are and can properly take care of your souls.

That might be construed as being rebellious and independent, though… :mrgreen: