The Evangelical Universalist Forum

On the Final Chapters of RevJohn ("Hostile Witness" version)

Granted that Christ initiates the action, but in any dealings we have with the word of God implies two things: 1) we must believe it 2) we must obey it. In the same Ephesians passage, just as the husband loves the wife, the wife must subject to her husband in everything, as the church is subject to Christ. We have to respond to the washing of the water of the word.

I’m not sure what you mean that this passage is not an important thematic distinction being mentioned there. But I await for further comment during your present exchange.

It’s still a “liberal” reference. :wink: Unless A37 means that the water of life is actually blood and not water. Or both blood and water at the same time (and not mixed, I suppose). And that the saints coming out of the great trib (not to say the rest of us?!) have literal robes which were literally filthy and which they literally washed clean and bright in the literal blood of Christ.

He might–he seems to think the beast from the sea will have little horns on it which will become kings of the earth (while still remaining literally little horns) and go around doing things.

Most interpreters of RevJohn, though, take most of the imagery to be figurative apocalyptic in the style of (indeed frequently referencing) OT prophets. It may represent actual historical events still to happen from the perspective of John (and perhaps from our perspective, too, depending on whether a hardcore preterist interpretation of RevJohn is true), but the events are ‘coded’ in poetic imagery.

Still, it should be fairly recalled that some of the OT prophecies came more literally true than people were expecting!

I have found that according to the Modern Versions of bibles, it is “those who have washed their robes” who will enter in through the gates into the City. To “wash your robes” you need to wash them in “THE BLOOD OF CHRIST’S RIGHTEOUSNESS” which is imparted to us by accepting Jesus as Lord and Savior.

“THOSE WHO HAVE WASHED THEIR ROBES” are “BLESSED”, because they are from the group which THE BIBLE REFERS TO AS; “THOSE THAT “DO” [OR KEEP] HIS COMMANDMENTS”, why not say so in the first place? Especially when the translators of The King James and of many other Versions, considered that there was plenty of evidence that the verse should definitely read that GOD WOULD BLESS COMMANDMENT KEEPERS. The translators of the RSV add a footnote to verse 14. (the first part) “Other ancient authorities read do HIS commandments”; then why not say so?

The ancient manuscripts are divided in their readings. The two clauses are very similar in the
Greek, the following transliteration will show the similarity.
“hoi poiountes tas entolas autou” (do HIS Commandments.)
“hoi plunontes tas stolas auton” (that wash their robes.) It is easy to see that it is no easy matter to choose the best translation, but I must favour the KJV’s wording, because there are more references to “Commandment Keeping”, see Rev 12:17 ; Rev 14:12 ; Jn 14:15,21 ; Jn 15:10 ; 1 Jn 2:3-6 ; 1 Jn 3:4 ; Matt 19:17, to mention a few; but there are only a couple of references to “washing robes”.

So, Those who have washed their robes are blessed, because they are from the group which the bible refers to as; “Those that do or keep his commandments”. :wink:

1. Haven’t even you admitted that salvation is not by works but by the grace and power of Jesus Christ? Works just indicate inward condition, thus the power of the reality of the river of life is of utmost importance; keeping the commandments is just an after-effect.
  2. Because it keeps the vivid strength of the spiritually effective metaphor running. There is much more depth to the concept of the river of life than that of simply keeping commandments. For one, it helps to focus on a particular piece of imagery, for another it gives further meaning, such as water not only being good for sustenance but also washing, and being refreshing, etc. The Spirit of Christ is good for all of those as well.

I’ve always taken “the Spirit and the Bride say ‘Come!’” to be a postscript after the closing of the vision. Basically at this point we’re OUT of the vision and its narrative and back in John’s day, so that it is the readers/hearers OF THIS LETTER who are invited, in light of its vision, to come.

Tom