The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Packer: The Problem Of Universalism Today (1969)

I wasn’t sure what you meant because you used the angry devil icon.

Not wanting to reheat too much of the other thread but you can’t make a characteristic of God (which John is describing) his essential self. This is because God, the Christian God, is first and foremost the Trinity. Secondly God’s love means different things, we need to be precise about which phrase we are using and letting the context of that statement guide us. Lastly if we should talk about the essential nature of God it’s probably best just to say God being God. (Exodus 3 “I AM”)

This is why Alex can’t use the unexplained statement “God is love” as an argument for Universalism.

Thanks, I’ve been slowly plodding my way thru all the material Joe gave me, and it’s actually been rewarding, both for improving/clarifying my thinking and because I’ve found new arguments for EU :slight_smile:

Yes, 1 John 4:8 says, “Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.”

A very good question, and people have written my books on the statement! However, I’d start with combining 1 John 4:8 & 1 Cor 13:4-8a “God is patient, God is kind. God does not envy, God does not boast, God is not proud. God does not dishonor others, God is not self-seeking, God is not easily angered, God keeps no record of wrongs. God does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. God always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. God never fails.” Does that sound like someone planning, sustaining and delighting in Endless Conscious Torment?

He is, consuming the impurities in people.

It isn’t. I think both those statements are equally important :sunglasses:

I hope not :confused:

Thanks, I don’t feel bombarded :slight_smile:

Fair enough. I’ll try to add some explanation and context.

Perhaps with explanation and context :mrgreen:

I agree with that statement, although I’m unsure if it’s “*more *accurate and powerful”.

I think “misleading” is too harsh, perhaps “unhelpful” or “inconclusive”? :neutral_face:

I took so long to write that post, you and Sonia had both posted! :laughing:

Anyway, I agree that, “Alex can’t use the unexplained statement “God is love” as an argument for Universalism.”. It definitely needs further explanation, not only because “love” has such a wide meaning in English, but also so others see we aren’t limiting God to just one characteristic, excluding other essential characteristics like the Triune nature of God and the fact He is all powerful, all knowing, eternal, etc.

I agree, except I’d probably say “extremely integral to God’s very being”, rather than “the last word to be spoken of God”.

I agree.

Talbott has a lot of helpful things to say about this in the “Inescapable Love of God”. Basically they aren’t polar opposites like some people try to portray. Very interrelated, i.e. His love is just and His justice loving. And yes, I think the Bible leads us to believe this.

Amen.

Taking into consideration the complications of the NT’s “now & not yet”. e.g. I’m saved, but not yet sanctified.

Would a Calvinist say that about the elect who have not yet heard? If yes, then I say yes, if no, then I say no :slight_smile: I’m not trying to be contrary, but the relationship between God, who is All Powerful, All Knowing & outside of time, and us within time and with what appears (& hopefully is) to be free will, is complex!

Hmm. Well if you want to put it like that, I guess that’s ok. From our perspective that’s the way it pans out. From God’s perspective outside of time, I don’t know?

Let’s say Christ has opened the door to salvation, and that belief is stepping thru that door. Does the door exist before you step thru it? Yes. Does the salvation exist before you step thru it? Yes. Are you saved before you step thru the door? Yes & no. The salvation is already there waiting for you, but you haven’t yet obtained it. Even non-EUs have the concept of common grace e.g. God gives everyone life & sustains everyone.

I agree people don’t receive Life until they believe, and until they do, they are perishing and under wrath. However, I don’t see this as excluding the possibility, of those perishing and under wrath, from believing.

That doesn’t seem very conclusive, given that up until Calvin (?), the Church thought post-mortem salvation was possible!

That they might die in their sins. But it says nothing about what happens when they are resurrected on Judgement Day and after that… I’m also glad Jesus, unlike Packer, doesn’t say this is the “ultimate disaster”.

See TEU. Basically an existing Pharisaical parable that Jesus added a twist to, not to mention the fact that the two men where able to hold a conversation (in spite of the deafening screams of all the people in ECT) and that he was asked to pass him a drink over this “great gulf” :unamused:

Given we believe it’s “by faith not works”, this passage poses some big problems if interpreted with ECT theology. Sherman will no doubt will help me out with this one, explaining that it’s actually judgement on Christians here. And of course there’s the issue again that Jesus wouldn’t have said “eternal” but most likely “olam”, which is much closer to “beyond sight” than it is to “infinity”.

A Judgement of works is part of traditional Christian doctrine. (Jesus changes the outcome for the elect and the rewards/punishment thing might also come into play at this stage.)

Cool, we agree on this :sunglasses:

I can only assume that this is a non-literal phrase (given God could’ve chosen not to make Judas), meaning that Judas was going to suffer a lot of pain.

And what an amazing example of grace that is, to forgive a friend who betrays you.

Yes, Jesus was simply saying Judas won’t like Hell while he was there.

I don’t think the rest of the NT speaks in similar terms.

Certainly an argument for hell but not necessarily ECT.

Yes, I believe in Judgement Day…

I think they encourage decisiveness, but don’t rule out decisions being made post-mortem.

I think it’s important for people to take the opportunity to be in a relationship with God as soon as possible. However, I’m not saying that out of a fear that God wouldn’t give someone a second chance.

I’m not a preacher, but I agree it would be odd to teach something you didn’t believe. However, if it is true, and I do believe it, then this argument holds no weight.

Sadly not yet.

Which as I’ve said before, **is ** a reason to question ECT, otherwise how can you worship God with all your heart, mind and soul?

The choices in this life are important but not final, unless they are towards God.

Similarly, I would say that ECT speculation is a very great evil, calculated to cause great suffering and mistrust of God and His love. Fortunately, I don’t think even ECT can ‘ruin souls’, as Paul said