The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Penal Substitution passages: 2 Corinthians 5:21

My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?

I often wonder if in asking this question, Jesus was actually addressing His people.

Keller referred to that verse the other week as well:

It was pointed out to him by someone that Jesus still prays to God and calls Him Father on the cross which basically defeats Keller’s point, as well as the fact that He’s quoting from Psalm 22, where it couldn’t be further from the truth that God forsook David. And it’s also true that Jesus does actually refer to the Father as God elsewhere, like in John 20:17 - “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’” Alright that’s not a prayer but it does highlight that there really is no logical separation between referring to God as God or Father. I would really like to see Keller try and explain how someone can call God “my God” and yet be completely separated from Him, on top of all the multiple other problems with that.

It’s so weird how he can write so much great stuff on the one hand and then on the other hand can write such utter nonsense. He does write a lot more great stuff than bad to be fair but it is quite frustrating listening or reading him say the most bizarre, even horrible stuff at times.

Jesus was not forsaken by the Father, it was the Father who raised Him from the dead. I agree with the idea that He felt forsaken, even that there was a disconnect from the presence that he had never experienced-for a moment He felt what it is like to be us- and that is why He is the perfect high priest, able to empathize with our condition.

I read somewhere once that in crying out “My God, My God, why have You forsaken me?”, it is meant that Jesus cried out the entirety of Psalm 22. The words in quotes are used a a title for the whole psalm, instead of calling it by a numerical designation. The author of the article said that it was his belief that hearing Jesus cry out the words of that psalm while witnessing what He was going through is what changed the mind of the repentant thief being crucified next to Him. He then asked to be admitted when he came into His kingdom. That psalm is a powerful witness.

I also wanted to mention something that occurred to me a few years ago. I don’t know much Greek, but when Hebrews 9:22 says "apart from the shedding of blood their is no remission (ἄφεσις), instead of meaning that the shedding of someone’s innocent blood could “buy” forgiveness for a guilty person, could this statement rather be taken to mean that apart from humans dying and loosing their blood there is no way they will be able to let go of sin? It is interesting that when Jesus was resurrected and appeared to His disciples, He quieted their fears about seeing a “ghost” or spirit by telling them that “a spirit does not have flesh and bones (not flesh and* blood*), as you see I have.”.

Or could it be that the covenant a person has entered into will not let a person free from its terms unless their blood is shed? Scripture has so many passages where symbolic/representative language is used in overlapping ways, it is hard to tell exactly what is being referred to.

There is an important aspect of Heb 9:22 that is usually overlooked:

Indeed, under the law almost everything is purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins.

UNDER THE LAW, under the Mosaic legal system, the blood of bulls and goats was shed in sacrifice to Yahweh in order to receive forgiveness of sins. And Yahweh granted them forgiveness as a concession to their desire to sacrifice. The Hebrews wanted to sacrifice to their God as other nations did to theirs. God never required it.

From ancient times, nations from all over the world sacrificed to their gods in order to appease them so that they wouldn’t harm them. But the one True God never made such a requirement.

Sacrifice and offering you do not desire, but you have given me an open ear. Burnt offering and sin offering you have not required.(Psalm 40:6)

You have given me an open ear or as the KJV has it“mine ears hast thou opened”Literally, it is “you have dug ears for me”. God has cleaned out the wax from my ears, so that I can hear properly. It is not sacrifice that He wants. Rather He wants me to hear Him and to obey the words that I hear!

When God brought the Israelites out of Egypt, He didn’t say a word to them about sacrifices.

"For I did not speak to your fathers, or command them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices."But this is what I commanded them, saying, ‘Obey My voice, and I will be your God, and you shall be My people. And walk in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well with you.’ (Jeremiah 7:22,23)

Again, God had never wanted sacrifices but obedience. When Saul used sacrificing to God his excuse for disobedience, Samuel said to him, “To obey is better than to sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams (given in sacrifice). (I Sam 15:22)

Hear the word of Yahweh , You rulers of Sodom; Give ear to the law of our God, You people of Gomorrah:“To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices to Me?” Says Yahweh. "I have had enough of burnt offerings of rams And the fat of fed cattle. I do not delight in the blood of bulls, Or of lambs or goats. “When you come to appear before Me, Who has required this from your hand, To trample My courts? Bring no more futile sacrifices; Incense is an abomination to Me. The New Moons, the Sabbaths, and the calling of assemblies—I cannot endure iniquity and the sacred meeting. Your New Moons and your appointed feasts My soul hates; They are a trouble to Me, I am weary of bearing them. When you spread out your hands, I will hide My eyes from you; Even though you make many prayers, I will not hear. Your hands are full of blood. Wash yourselves, make yourselves clean; Put away the evil of your doings from before My eyes. Cease to do evil. Learn to do good. Seek justice. Rebuke the oppressor. Defend the fatherless. Plead for the widow. Come now, and let us reason together,” says Yahweh, “Though your sins are like scarlet, They shall be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They shall be as wool. If you are willing and obedient, You shall eat the good of the land; But if you refuse and rebel, You shall be devoured by the sword”; For the mouth of Yahweh has spoken. Isaiah 1:10.

So if Yahweh—God, didn’t want sacrifices why did He instruct Moses exactly how to sacrifice to Him? I suggest that the reason is the same as to why He instructed Samuel to choose Saul as king. God didn’t want the Israelites to have a king. He lamented their decision, saying, “You wouldn’t have me to rule over you.” But since they insisted in having a king like all the other nations, He said in effect, “Okay. But your king will give you plenty of trouble.”

The sacrifice of Jesus was not so that God could forgive us. Rather its purpose was to free us from sin—to deliver us from sin.

No doubt someone will point out this verse to me:

…for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. (Matthew 26:28)

I say that that ought to be translated as “for the forsaking of sins” or “for freedom from sins.” The noun is “αφεσις” and its verbal form often means “to leave” or “depart from.”

In Mark 1:4, some translations have John the baptizer preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. But just read the account of John’s preaching. There is not a word about forgiveness. But there is plenty about repentence, getting baptized and doing deeds worthy of repentance.