The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Peter Hiett's first UR sermon

Peter writes: “Sometimes people wonder where the Sanctuary came from, what makes it unique, and is Peter Hiett a “heretic.” Well, this is the sermon that got people angry; that resulted in an investigation by The Evangelical Presbyterian Church; that resulted in my dismissal and gave birth to the Sanctuary Downtown – it’s good. I came across it in my files this week. I love this message. I preached it December 5th, 2004.”

Enjoy!
Sonia

This is such a fantastic sermon and it is so encouraging! I’ve read a ton of arguments for UR that are great, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone use that parable to do it. It’s very telling that the anger of those workers in the vineyard is the same anger that dismissed him from his church. It really gets to the core of the problem; the reason why oponents of UR despise it so much. It’s the revelation that in the Kingdom of God there is no “us and them,” there is only “us.” And that goes against the deepest human instincts we have. I love his statement at 21:55, “You thought you were judging this parable… and this parable was judging you.”

Amen, that’s beautiful and true.

Thanks for posting this - we’d never heard him before - he has some very rich teachings. Thank you.

Yeah, this was a great video. I started to watch it as I went to bed from my cell phone and an hour later I realized… Wow, I better get some sleep. Very rewarding sermon and he even had a few new ideas that I never thought about it. For example “You twelve” wait… Judas was there. Strange, never contemplated that before. Is a good point.