The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Piper & Keller love Lewis but say George MacDonald non-Xtian

Keller said MacDonald wasn’t a Christian. Piper hesitated and never claimed MacDonald wasn’t a Christian.

It seems that Piper’s beef with MacDonald is over his views of hell and atonement. Piper never claims MacDonald wasn’t a Christian though.

In one of his written sermons, George MacDonald mentioned Christian thinkers who in heaven have repudiated their former mistaken beliefs. I wish I had the passage with me. If I recall correctly, MacDonald was basically saying, “To those who will quote past Christian authorities against me, you needn’t believe them yourself, because these authorities have long since themselves abandoned their errors.”

Pilgrim made good points at the beginning of the post.

I think that no unity is possible with CONSISTENT Calvinists:
lotharlorraine.wordpress.com/201 … alvinists/

Should we hate them? Of course not, this is a temptation we ought to resist.

I found the passage of which I was thinking. It is in George MacDonald’s sermon “Justice”, found in his third volume of Unspoken Sermons. This is arguably MacDonald’s finest sermon. Here is the passage with some of my own bolding:

As someone who immersed himself in Lewis’s writings earlier in life, and has done the same with MacDonald’s more recently, I have come to believe something that some of you may be able to assent to: I believe Lewis theologically neutered his so called “Master.” I believe, further, that this is why he is so palatable to the average Evangelical (whether Calvinist or Arminian), and why MacDonald never will be. As you all know, Lewis said he probably never wrote a book in which he didn’t at least unconsciously quote or paraphrase MacDonald. That may be, but consciously or not, the deepest spirit of MacDonald never found a comfortable place to rest in those books, in my opinion.

Hello and welcome, alatecomer! :smiley:

I agree 100% with what you say about Lewis “neutering” MacDonald theologically. I posted this on another thread [George MacDonald: Views on Politics and Pacifism?) recently which you might be interested in, mainly for the quotes from Catherine Durie.

There’s much more, of course, in her essay and I think she (and I) would also agree with you when you said:

Glad to have you here and would love to hear more about you and your journey on an “Introductions” thread! :smiley:

All the best,

Steve

The ironic thing about these guys claiming that Lewis somehow accommodated MacDonald due to the former’s ‘great generosity’ (rather than regarding him as his ‘master’ which even Piper and Keller must know is the truth) is that MacDonald is really the one they should be praising for his generosity: he was far kinder to the Pipers and Kellers of his own day than they are to him. But then his theology allows him to be. Lewis himself makes reference to this in the preface to his ‘George MacDonald: an anthology’, saying that GM, unlike most who reject Calvinism, did not also reject the whole way of life associated with it, and that, with reservations, he saw elements of real worth in what he was rejecting (not in the system of Calvinism necessarily, which he abhorred, but in certain elements present in Scottish Calvinist tradition which were true to genuine Christianity.)

A greater insight into MacDonald’s theology, and how it was shaped by his emancipation from the Scottish Calvinism in which he was raised can be found in his semi-autobiographical novel, Robert Falconer’, which I translated from broad Scots into English last year. As Lewis again says in the intro to his GM anthology, the Calvinist grannie in the story is based on George’s own grandmother ‘a truly terrible old woman’, and the burning of the fiddle (as a snare of the devil), depicted on the front cover of my translation, was a true incident taken from her history.

Jonathan Edwards is also mentioned by name in ‘Robert Falconer’, not quite as scathingly as in the quote to which Piper is referring (which is taken from GM’s sermon ‘Justice’) but still hardly in complimentary terms: “When she (Robert’s grannie) said that God was light, instead of concluding therefrom that he could not do the deeds of darkness, she was driven, from a faith in the teaching of Jonathan Edwards as implicit as any ‘lay papist of Loretto’, to doubt whether the deeds of darkness were not after all deeds of light, or at least to conclude that their character depended not on their own nature, but on who did them.”

Here’s a link to the ‘Robert Falconer’ translation, for anyone interested in the formation of MacDonald’s outlook

worksofmacdonald.com/product … t-falconer